PDA

View Full Version : Some small observations from tonight's game

chernobylwraiths
08-12-2006, 09:32 PM
To me, Holcomb looked bad. If I was told one QB had been in the league for 10 years and the other for two, I wouldn't have been able to pick the right one.

Losman actually looked comfortable back there. I saw a sideline interview with Evans and he said that he was impressed at how JP looked in the pocket. JP skipped a couple balls which is a concern but on others he drilled the ball right in there. Plus, he looked to get rid of the ball without taking off first. I like what I see with JP.

Receivers: Reed dropped the first ball thrown to him. That just drives me nuts. I didn't see anything from him. I liked what I saw from Aiken, especially the special teams. Not much else from the receivers.

Running backs: I don't think Shaud will make the team this year. He is NOT an option as a return man with all the good returners we have. I like A-train better than him and I think Gates looks real good as the backup to McGahee. Oh, and goodbye to Burns as well unless he is some kind of God on special teams.

Tight Ends: I liked what I saw from Kevin Everett. Nice to see him make some plays after hearing what a bad camp he was having.

Oline: Didn't look too bad, didn't open many holes for McGahee but it is only the first preseason game and I don't expect much from them right now.

Lindel: I am beginning to feel better about him with those two long field goals.

Safety: With Whitner finally coming in there seemed to be a big difference with his speed. I think he will start from opening day and he will do well. I liked what I saw even though he was playing against second stringers. I like what we have at safety for this year.

Cornerback: I think that this team won't do extremely well this year and we have some good young corners. I think we should make an effort to sign Clements now or trade him before the deadline. No sense in letting him walk for nothing. McGee will be a decent if not great corner and King/Greer/Youboty should be able to take over the spot and learn on the job. I also like seeing the corners closer to the line of scrimmage and taking the receiver down shortly after he catches the ball.

Linebacker: Seem to have good depth, but Carolina seemed to move the ball at well against our first team. I hope Spikes will be back close to 100%.

Defensive line: Looked to be manhandled by Carolina's Oline early on. Most impressive was K. Williams. He seemed to be in on every play. Didn't hear McCargo's name called at all. I seem to hear Denney's name much more than Kelsay's name.

I know it is only one preseason game but I liked what I saw from: Losman, K. Williams, L. Gates, S. Aiken, Lindell, and Whitner.

:feedback:

YardRat
08-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Nice synopsis, cher...hard to disagree with any of your points.

TigerJ
08-12-2006, 10:00 PM
With Spikes not playing, Mario Haggan is starting in his place. Mario Haggan runs the 40 in something over 5.0 seconds. I know speed is not everything, but this offense in particular needs fast linebackers. I think it's inevitable that he drop further in the depth chart. Ellison is pretty young yet, but he's got the speed. I think there are others who are faster than Haggan.

chernobylwraiths
08-12-2006, 10:02 PM
With Spikes not playing, Mario Haggan is starting in his place. Mario Haggan runs the 40 in something over 5.0 seconds. I know speed is not everything, but this offense in particular needs fast linebackers. I think it's inevitable that he drop further in the depth chart. Ellison is pretty young yet, but he's got the speed. I think there are others who are faster than Haggan.

I find it hard to believe that he is that slow. That is lineman speed.

L.A. Playa
08-12-2006, 10:03 PM
here is a small observation, the differnce in the game was int returned for a TD

The_Philster
08-12-2006, 10:04 PM
I think Shaud made some plays out there...I wanna watch the replay tomorrow morning to get a better look at A-Train

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the review I was at work so I didn't get to see any of it yet, but sounds like some encouraging stuff.

chernobylwraiths
08-12-2006, 10:09 PM
I think Shaud made some plays out there...I wanna watch the replay tomorrow morning to get a better look at A-Train

Shaud's best play was taking the time out before JP would have been penalized for delay of game. He seems like a decent player, but his not super fast OR super elusive. On the opening kickoff he looked like he ran right into the pile and he couldn't get further than the 20 on any return.

chernobylwraiths
08-12-2006, 10:11 PM
I was very disappointed with how easily they moved on our first team defense WITHOUT Steve Smith.

Looks like Whitner will play sooner than anticipated with Bowen looking like he may be hurt.

Dr. Lecter
08-13-2006, 12:24 AM
Burns might make it because he is a special teams ace and can play both positions (RB/FB).

Ko Simpson made some nice plays too.

Other than that, great summary!

DraftBoy
08-13-2006, 02:47 AM
Something I want to add to this is the fact that Jp made them jump offsides on more than one occasion. Which to me is a big thing bc the D cant get comfortable attempting to time the snap this way.

TacklingDummy
08-13-2006, 05:57 AM
Losman actually looked comfortable back there. I saw a sideline interview with Evans and he said that he was impressed at how JP looked in the pocket. JP skipped a couple balls which is a concern but on others he drilled the ball right in there. Plus, he looked to get rid of the ball without taking off first. I like what I see with JP.

:feedback:

Now for a non-JP Homer point of view. JP looked like crap. Against Carolina's 2nd and 3rd stringers. He must of took lessons from Captain Checkoff because he only completed 2 passes over 5 yards. All his other throws over 5 yards were either wide, over-thrown or bounced infront of attended reciever. 1 of the 2 passes he completed over 5 yards was behind the WR. His accuracy stinks. On 2 of his sacks he had plenty of time to get the ball off but didn't. Kelly Holcomb also looked like crap. It's sad that Jay Cutler, seeing his first action in the NFL, looked better then our "future franchise QB".

Very impressed with the rest of the team. Bills future looks bright as long as they draft a QB with the 1st pick next year.

Historian
08-13-2006, 06:01 AM
Well, that should put the quarterback controversey to rest.

The team was just as I had envisioned it:

Tough, smothering defense....

Flashy special teams...

Difficult to score points, and dull on offense.

Individual efforts:

McGahee- Didn't see much of him, but what I saw didn;t impress me-again.

Moormann-Is it possible he can get even better?

Lindell-nice job.

Aiken- Certainly made his case for a roster spot. Maybe this coaching staff will actually play him in the regular season.

Kelsay- Looked confused on plays.

O line- Not a banner day, but JP helped them with his feet.

Once they settled down, after the first quarter, they looked a lot better. They got off to a slow start.

Historian
08-13-2006, 06:03 AM
Oh and JP throws the toughest pass in all of football, the deep out, like he's throwing a game of darts....all frozen ropes.

TacklingDummy
08-13-2006, 06:08 AM
Oh and JP throws the toughest pass in all of football, the deep out, like he's throwing a game of darts....all frozen ropes.

But instead of hitting the Bulleyes he hits the Double twenty, double 19, or off the board.

Historian
08-13-2006, 06:11 AM
He looked fab.

We have ourselves a Quarterback.

:up:

TacklingDummy
08-13-2006, 06:14 AM
5 sacks, 5 bounced passes .

And the one shot he took downfield with his rocket arm at a wide open Aikens was thrown 5 yards out of bounds.

Michael82
08-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Burns might make it because he is a special teams ace and can play both positions (RB/FB).

Ko Simpson made some nice plays too.

Other than that, great summary!
Burns is gone. They wouldn't waste a roster spot for him. He's a mediocre FB/RB and is a good STer, but they have a bunch of other solid Special Teamers.

IMO, Sam Aiken just made it tougher for either Andre Davis or Martin Nance to make the roster. Jonathan "Fast Freddie" Smith looked okay, but IMO, he's a Price/Parrish clone. He'll probably be gone. Then again, Josh Reed kept up with the dropsies, so he may play his way off the team. Either way, it will be VERY interesting to see what happens with these guys. Which receivers get the axe. I personally think that they are trying to hide Martin Nance and keep him below the radar so they can stash him on the practice squad.

Dr. Lecter
08-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Now for a non-JP Homer point of view. JP looked like crap. Against Carolina's 2nd and 3rd stringers. He must of took lessons from Captain Checkoff because he only completed 2 passes over 5 yards. All his other throws over 5 yards were either wide, over-thrown or bounced infront of attended reciever. 1 of the 2 passes he completed over 5 yards was behind the WR. His accuracy stinks. On 2 of his sacks he had plenty of time to get the ball off but didn't. Kelly Holcomb also looked like crap. It's sad that Jay Cutler, seeing his first action in the NFL, looked better then our "future franchise QB".

Very impressed with the rest of the team. Bills future looks bright as long as they draft a QB with the 1st pick next year.

My God man, give it a break. You would ***** no matter what the guy did. Not all of his throw over 5 yards were innaccurate. That is a flat-out, complete total lie.

You are also showing a lack of knowledge. If everybody is covered, taking a sack is sometimes the more prudent choice.

And if you were more impressed with Wilis or the back-up O-line, then you are really trying to hate JP no matter what.

Finally, all great QB's ar enot founf in the first round. That is not necessary. Favre, Brady, Delhomme and many others were not 1st round picks. As for Cutler, it wsa one pre-season game. Did you see him?

As for the non-JP homer POV, you should call it from a 'JP hater POV'.

DraftBoy
08-13-2006, 10:09 AM
He looked fab.

We have ourselves a Quarterback.

:up:

Only issue I have is still with his consistency, Im not willing to hand him the job or any QB to atleast after preseason game 3.

chernobylwraiths
08-13-2006, 10:45 AM
I didn't know I was a JP homer. Who knew? :;

The_Philster
08-13-2006, 12:27 PM
I didn't know I was a JP homer. Who knew? :;
to some, if you don't hate him as if he dumped your sister, you have to be a homer ;)
If you wanna lose that monkier, you have to make up things about him to ***** about