PDA

View Full Version : JP's 5 sacks........

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-12-2006, 10:10 PM
I didn't see the game yet so I was wondering if it was more him or the OL that was responsible for all those sacks?

Tatonka
08-12-2006, 10:11 PM
i would say that 2 of the sacks were due to him holding the ball.. the other 3 were all out blitzes that the back up oline just could not hold off at all.

The_Philster
08-12-2006, 10:13 PM
1 of those sacks was a coverage sack..no one got open and rather than throw it up for grabs as he might've done last season, JP ate the ball and took the sack

chernobylwraiths
08-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Too many backup linemen to take a guess at that. He will get his share of sacks this year, but he looked fairly elusive and made some smart decisions with the ball IMO one time dumping off the ball before he would have passed the line.

Bling
08-12-2006, 10:18 PM
That's usually a good sign when a somewhat mobile QB takes sacks. That just means he was calm and didn't throw risky passes

The_Philster
08-12-2006, 10:20 PM
That's usually a good sign when a somewhat mobile QB takes sacks. That just means he was calm and didn't throw risky passes
:up: sign of maturity

It's only one preseason game, but I'd say JP's got a solid lead over Holcomb on the job

djjimkelly
08-12-2006, 11:49 PM
:up: sign of maturity

It's only one preseason game, but I'd say JP's got a solid lead over Holcomb on the job

honestly i think jauron wanted to play holcomb longer but couldnt take anymore. too bad he doesnt do right thing and cut holcomb on monday. im still calling it kelly holcomb is not on bills roster week 1

djjimkelly
08-12-2006, 11:51 PM
and id say 1 sack was actually losmans fault 3 was line 1 was supposedly coverage and id say there was 2 plays no qb except losman on bills roster could have gotten away from a sack.

TacklingDummy
08-13-2006, 06:04 AM
1 of those sacks was a coverage sack..no one got open and rather than throw it up for grabs as he might've done last season, JP ate the ball and took the sack

Yeah, eating the ball is alot better then throwing it away. JP doesn't need anymore incompletions. His comp. % is already terrible enough without them. And 3rd and 16 looks better then 3rd and 8.

TacklingDummy
08-13-2006, 06:05 AM

It's a bad sign when a somewhat moblie QB has plenty of time to throw the ball away but takes a sack instead.

Historian
08-13-2006, 06:27 AM

Not only that, you could see him go through his progressions.

He's taken big strides over the off season.

don137
08-13-2006, 08:15 AM
I have not watched the game on TV yet for a more thorough analysis so I am going from being at the game. JP has to learn to throw the ball away. Some of the problem was the OL but lets face it the Bills OL is not the best so he will need to learn to throw it away. He seems to try and sramble even when all sides are crashing in around him and he has no where to go. If he could learn when is it good to scramble and when is it good to throw away or hit is outlet receiver he will take great strides.

ICE74129
08-13-2006, 08:27 AM
1 was on JP. Who cares, Manning, Brady etal take bad sacks. Thats just how it goes.

Phil was right, one was a flat blown breakdown in blocking which kept us (along with stupid penalties by the OL) from getting 7 instead of 3 on the last FG we got. Steve tasker eluded to the fact it was the RIGHT Decision for JP to eat it on that play.

The other 3 were crap OL.

Michael82
08-13-2006, 09:11 AM
Good post! That's exactly the opposite of what happened last year. Last season, he would get away from the sack or whatever and still throw the ball in the air for his receivers to get. and it was either picked off or a really ****ty pass. This year, he shows much more poise in the pocket and he took the coverage sacks when he had no room to run and no one open. It's nice to see. :bf1:

Michael82
08-13-2006, 09:11 AM
honestly i think jauron wanted to play holcomb longer but couldnt take anymore. too bad he doesnt do right thing and cut holcomb on monday. im still calling it kelly holcomb is not on bills roster week 1
I totally agree with you. I think Holcomb will play his way off the roster.

X-Era
08-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Yeah, eating the ball is alot better then throwing it away. JP doesn't need anymore incompletions. His comp. % is already terrible enough without them. And 3rd and 16 looks better then 3rd and 8.

Its an even worse sign when your 10+ year vet who "supposedly" has great short yardage game, throws a bullet to the defender on a 5-10 yard route at the 20 yard line or something that goes in for a TD.

Nuff said, Losmans the best QB weve got right now.

The_Philster
08-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Eating the ball for a sack is a lot better than throwing it up for grabs because there's a good chance it will get picked off

TacklingDummy
08-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Nuff said, Losmans the best QB weve got right now.

And that's not saying much.

PcA125
08-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Eating the ball for a sack is a lot better than throwing it up for grabs because there's a good chance it will get picked off

I agree... I was happy that he didnt try to chuck it up in the air during those sacks. I was also impressed with how he came back the next play and was able to stay focused and not get frustrated.

I am looking forward to seeing what he will do with the starting OL though... That will be the true test.

TigerJ
08-13-2006, 12:19 PM

I
m not predicting it yet, but it would not surprise me. A lot depends on how quickly Nall is able to pick up where he left off. If Holcomb continues to blow and Nall plays at least adequately, then I could see Jauron cutting Holcomb and keeping Kingsbury as the third QB. Ochs might be in that role, but I don't know what his injury status is at the moment.

Yasgur's Farm
08-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Yeah, eating the ball is alot better then throwing it away. JP doesn't need anymore incompletions. His comp. % is already terrible enough without them. And 3rd and 16 looks better then 3rd and 8.You're living up to your name again... 15 of 24 for 144 yards, 0 TD's, 0 INT's... That's 62.5% complete and a passer rating of 79.2.

Maybe you should consider changing your name to TacklingMoeRon.

DraftBoy
08-13-2006, 12:26 PM

Be fair TD wasnt saying he should chuck it up for grabs, he has the ability to easily get out of the box and throw the ball away. Im not as concerned as TD is about the sacks he took, but I would of liked to see him throw it away esp on the coverage sack.

TacklingDummy
08-13-2006, 12:30 PM

Who said anything about throwing the ball up for grabs? How about throwing the ball out-of bounds and saving the sack yardage to make the next down shorter?

Taking sacks do 2 things 1) they make the next down longer and 2) they make you take unnecessary hits. Which leads to a greater chance of getting hurt.

Billsrock4life
08-13-2006, 02:36 PM
most of the time when a QB gets sacked its the OLs fault

YardRat
08-13-2006, 02:46 PM
I agree... I was happy that he didnt try to chuck it up in the air during those sacks. I was also impressed with how he came back the next play and was able to stay focused and not get frustrated.

I am looking forward to seeing what he will do with the starting OL though... That will be the true test.

Holcomb played with Gandy-Reyes-Fowler-Villariel-Peters in the first quarter.

Losman played with Gandy-Reyes-Fowler-Preston-Peters in the second.

Both QB's got a chance to play with the starting o-line, basically, in the first half.

The best 'test', to date anyway, will be against Cinci when JP lines up with the first team line again, this time against the opponents starting defense.

YardRat
08-13-2006, 02:46 PM
most of the time when a QB gets sacked its the OLs fault

The other times the QB is either Kelly Holcomb or Drew Bledsoe.

shelby
08-13-2006, 02:50 PM
:rofl: