• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

This should be losmans team. Enough of the BS

I have re watched the game again and bottom line, We aren't going anywhere with holcomb as our QB against other teams when the real bullets fly.

JP did just about everything all of his detractors needed to see from him since last year. much more control, poise, stays in the pocket and moves MUCH Better in it to buy more time until time to run. Goes through his reads, checks down, etc.

Lee evans even commented he is much more mature and much more in command now.

Rifle arm, more accurate, More of a leader, Escapeability that will be needed with this Line.

The only thing this kid needs is 1) tons of reps and time with the first string, and 2) full backing of the coaching staff for 16 games. He gets that this year I think our QB issues are solved for awhile. The kid is starting to get 'it'. But 'it' wont' go very far playing with 2nd stringers.

I hope the starters next week give him full support on the field. If so I can see some very good drives for him against Cinci's defense. If it goes well, he has to be named the starter.
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: This should be losmans team. Enough of the BS

I love seeing this kid develop. I really believe that if he's given the chance, he's going to be a pretty good quarterback.

Comment

• shelby
      The Vanilla *****
      • Jul 2002

He looked much improved to me!

Comment

• Turf
        • Jul 2002

I'm all for JP starting, Holcomb proved last night he's not even worth considering IMO.
        What's bothering me about JP at this point is not his maturity, his reads, his poise, I expect some learning pains in that area, but it's his accuracy. I don't mind if he's this kid with amazing accuracy and arm strength who just has to learn the game, but if doesn't have the knack for hitting his target I think we need to look elsewhere entirely for a starting QB.
        I hope I'm wrong but if I don't see JP improve on his raw throwing ability I say we're in huge trouble and need to find a new QB because right now my gut feeling is we don't have one.
        Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Turf
          I'm all for JP starting, Holcomb proved last night he's not even worth considering IMO.
          What's bothering me about JP at this point is not his maturity, his reads, his poise, I expect some learning pains in that area, but it's his accuracy. I don't mind if he's this kid with amazing accuracy and arm strength who just has to learn the game, but if doesn't have the knack for hitting his target I think we need to look elsewhere entirely for a starting QB.
          I hope I'm wrong but if I don't see JP improve on his raw throwing ability I say we're in huge trouble and need to find a new QB because right now my gut feeling is we don't have one.
          I didn't think his accuracy was a huge problem for him yesterday. Sorry, I'm not seeing it.

Comment

• gil
            • Mar 2005

I just caught the replay on NFL network - it looked to me like he was making throws that he never came near completing last year - like a nice short toss out to the fullback where he actually hit him perfectly in stride and a couple other over the middle to aiken that I liked.

He wasn't always perfect, but he was a heck of a lot better, especially with the short stuff, than I remember from last year.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
              I didn't think his accuracy was a huge problem for him yesterday. Sorry, I'm not seeing it.
              I think his first series. After that I agree with you.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ICE74129
                The only thing this kid needs is 1) tons of reps and time with the first string, and 2) full backing of the coaching staff for 16 games. He gets that this year I think our QB issues are solved for awhile. The kid is starting to get 'it'. But 'it' wont' go very far playing with 2nd stringers.
                We have been saying this for a year and a half. Let's hope the coaching staff sees it that way. Good post!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Disagree, Im not willing to give the kid one job for one good game played, sorry but the NFL does work like that. His biggest issue is consistency and even last night he'd make a good throw and then he'd make a bad decision. He did a ton of things good last night, and KH looked like complete crap but this doesnt mean Im willing to hand the job over. Youw know since we have a QB competition and all. I still want to see how Nall does next week in practice, and how KH, JP and Nall all play in next weekends game.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                    • May 2003

15 of 24 for 62.5% is pretty damn accuracy to me. What's the problem? Do I think J.P. still needs alot of polishing? Absolutely. But I am encouraged by what I saw of him tonight. This coaching staff needs to start backing him and quit farting around with this career backup whom we already know is not the right fit for this team.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

The QB competition is a farce, ICE...Remember? Jauron already has Holcomb in mind for the starter, and it's rigged against JP.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Dozerdog
                        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

JP looked as good if not better last preseason.

Make him earn the job in preseason and make him earn keeping his job during the season

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                          • May 2003

Look if Holcomb had displayed even an "average" performance, then I could give him the benefit of the doubt. But he was horrible. Losman's performance wasn't great, not even close, but at least he didn't look a f**king idiot out there. If these two guys are still sharing the same reps in practice after that performance I am going to lose it.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

JP was 2 for 7 up until the two minute drill to end the half.
                            That drive he was 3 for 4.
                            After the half, he went 10 for 13.

The second quarter he didn't look any different to me than he did last year.

The second half was more encouraging...he seemed to settle in a little against the Panthers third-stringers.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BillsFever21
                              • Aug 2004

Losman started off slow but finished the game 13-17 for 133 yards.

Holcomb was just flat out embarrasing. He has no business around a starting unit. He should be 3rd string or better yet a FA. He won't be happy when he's the backup and won't except his role.

Comment

Working...
                              X