PDA

View Full Version : Help me to understand...

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 11:40 AM
As an offensive coordinator, why would you EVER consider lining up in the shotgun formation on 3rd & short? It makes absolutley no sense to show your hand to the defense and that is exactly what you are doing when you make calls like this. The previous two coaching staffs would do it (and often) and now this one is too. It drives me crazy.

Take the offense's first drive of the game for example. It is 3rd & 3, and the offense is in the shotgun. Nevermind that Holcomb missed a wide open Josh Reed in the slot, who was actually standing there waiting for Holcomb to see him, but he didn't and it led to him taking a nast hit by Julius Peppers. Why would you put your QB in that position?

I am not opposed to throwing the ball on 3rd & short but at least line up in a formation that makes the defense have to defend both the pass and the run. Or is you are going to line up in the shotgun, at least fake to the RB. I don't get it.

:wtf:

mikemac2001
08-13-2006, 12:01 PM
did u see that quick screen that we had the 15 yd face mask on i liked that shotgun play alot was quick developing and it was a 3rd and short i believe

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 12:54 PM
I have been watching the game, using my TIVO, to see who was doing what on what plays, so I am only like 3 minutes into the second quarter. I am not completely opposed to it, I just don't like to see it as often as they are doing it. I notice that other teams do it, like the Colts for example, but still, we seem to do it more than the norm.

Stewie
08-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Maybe they hope that the defense is assuming the pass, much like you are, so they can set up a draw.

YardRat
08-13-2006, 02:21 PM
The draw from the shotgun was a money play with Kelly and Thomas. The formation isn't as important as who you've got on the field executing it.

Dozerdog
08-13-2006, 02:26 PM
As an offensive coordinator, why would you EVER consider lining up in the shotgun formation on 3rd & short? It makes absolutley no sense to show your hand to the defense and that is exactly what you are doing when you make calls like this. The previous two coaching staffs would do it (and often) and now this one is too. It drives me crazy.

Take the offense's first drive of the game for example. It is 3rd & 3, and the offense is in the shotgun. Nevermind that Holcomb missed a wide open Josh Reed in the slot, who was actually standing there waiting for Holcomb to see him, but he didn't and it led to him taking a nast hit by Julius Peppers. Why would you put your QB in that position?

I am not opposed to throwing the ball on 3rd & short but at least line up in a formation that makes the defense have to defend both the pass and the run. Or is you are going to line up in the shotgun, at least fake to the RB. I don't get it.

:wtf:

If the team you are going against has a top-notch run defense, it's not a bad idea.

It forces their front 7 (or 8 if they are playing run all the way) to spread the field. With speed rushers like Peppers against you, a well timed draw play could get you a chunk of yards.

Kelly and Thomas ran that play to perfection in the 1990's

DraftBoy
08-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Its a great formation against agressive D's, also good formation to spread the field and run quick slants out of bc there should be a lack of LB's in the middle and if there isnt, you could easily hot route the slot receiver to a hitch in a soft spot in a likely zone. Thousands of plays to run out of that formation, I like the shotgun.

Drive 4 Five
08-13-2006, 02:57 PM
:scratch:

Good points YR and Dozer. I hadn't looked at it that way.