PDA

View Full Version : This "qb competition"

Kerr
08-13-2006, 08:08 PM
I don't know why anyone would want to go through the same mess that happened last season with the vets. They didn't respect jp because he got the job handed to him and failed to meet expectations, regardless if he was pulled unfairly. I think DJ is making sure he doesn't repeat history by just coming and naming jp the starter. I think everyone knows that jp is the most talented qb and a better fit for the offense, but what happened last season is still stuck with jp until he proves otherwise to the veteran players. It's not a good thing when a qb get handed the starting job and plays average in the time he got play. That's what jp's performance was, average, if you sum up all his games last season. Even if DJ truly wants and knows jp the the right qb for the team, he needs to publicaly show their is an honest chance for other qb's to earn the job even if it is all one big setup. And Jp has to show more improvement to merit the decision. At least if jp got the job and stunk up the joint(the answer he's not this teams future), nobody can't say it wasn't a fair competition. Like I said, it's far worse to hand a qb the job with the qb playing poorly. DJ is using good strategy and good judgement imo.

Jan Reimers
08-14-2006, 04:54 AM
I totally agree, but the problem is that ultimately, starting Losman is the only thing that makes any sense, but with the competition, he isn't getting the reps and playing time that he desperately needs.

I just hope Jauron reaches a "compromise" and names JP the starter after the Bengals game, so that he will at least have the remainder of camp and the last 2 preseason games to be the full time guy.

YardRat
08-14-2006, 05:38 AM
Getting the reps in practice and being assured playing time doesn't necessarily advance development...that was proven last year with JP. I also like the way Jauron is handling the QB's, and I think (hope?) the team will be better off in the long run as a result.