PDA

View Full Version : If Losman lights it up against Cincy..

HHURRICANE
08-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Will this end the QB competition? We are wasting valuable time getting ready for the regular season. I am sure Jauron was not thinking that he would be starting Losman 3 months ago. If its clear cut this coming Friday will he do th right thing and announce Losman as the starter?

Amare
08-13-2006, 09:04 PM
GO Losman!

The_Philster
08-13-2006, 09:06 PM
If it's close, I think they'd extend the competition into the Browns game. If the disparity between Losman and Holcomb is as large against the Bengals as it was last night, I think Losman gets the nod

Typ0
08-13-2006, 09:07 PM
what about Nall?

HHURRICANE
08-13-2006, 09:10 PM
what about Nall?

If he's ready, he'll be playing with the 3rd string. It'll be hard to make the starting job from where he is right now.

The_Philster
08-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Nall would have to make some serious strides in the next week and get past Holcomb in the lineup to be seriously considered, IMO. They can't wait til the last minute to name a starter

JerseyBoofaloBills
08-13-2006, 09:26 PM
I think so, you guys even said it yourself..If JP lights it up against cincy, thats two games to determine our QB, who should be JP i mean KH already displayed what he'll be doing for us, and i dont want a QB throwing INT's for TD's..Jp did good no mistakes, no TD's either, but better than throwing an INT for a TD. GO JP!

LifetimeBillsFan
08-14-2006, 07:19 AM
IF JP lights it up against Cincy.... IMHO that is the first of three big "ifs" that will probably determine whether JP gets named the starter after the game or not.

First of all, JP will have to "light it up" against Cincy: lead the team to a TD and perhaps another score and not turn the ball over. He will have to make the right reads and be accurate with his throws. In short, he will have to be a bit better than he was against Carolina right from the start--because he probably won't get to play as long and will be going against Cincy's starters, so he's going to have to be efficient and make the most of the playing time that he gets.

Second, Holcomb will have to play an average Holcomb game or worse--if he has a great showing where he hits most of his passes and does not turn the ball over, he still could stay in the race. We all know that Holcomb is what he is, but you can't count on him having two really bad performances in a row: he will have the advantage of going up against Cincy's backups and will be fighting for his professional life. He will probably have to out-play JP to keep the competition going, so it will be up to JPL to set the bar high enough that Holcomb will have a hard time doing that. If he just gives an average Holcomb performance, KH could play himself out of the race if JPL plays well.

Third--and most importantly--will be how well Nall plays. Losman has outplayed Holcomb so far, but not by enough to clearly establish himself as that much better than Holcomb that the race is over. That has left the door open a crack for Nall, whose injury has hampered him but not entirely eliminated him. Nall will have to show that he can do as well or better than JPL, but, if he can do that on limited practice, matching JPL after being out for so long might be enough to prompt the coaches to extend the competition another week to give Nall another crack at seizing the job from JPL. Nall will have the advantage of going up against Cincy's backups, so there is the possibility that he could play well, but he will have to shake off any rust on his game rather quickly and won't have a whole lot of margin for error. Still, Nall was coming on well at the end of the OTAs and in the first couple of TC practices, so there is a chance that he could put it all together and that can't be entirely discounted. Unlike Holcomb, Nall can throw the deep ball, too, and IMHO still has the potential to extend this race if he can show that he can make better decisions and be more accurate than JPL in a game setting.

At this point, all three of these things are pretty big "ifs" and there's no telling which, if any of them, will happen. JP Losman can go a long way towards putting an end to this QB competition by having a sterling performance against Cincy in which he shows continued improvement across the board in his game. But, he's got to do that and set the bar high enough to negate the advantages that the other two QBs will have of playing after him and against the Cincy subs. If he can, then, I think the coaches may finally end this competition. But, if he leaves the door open, I think that they will let it continue for another week to continue to push JP and also, if Nall plays well, to give Nall another shot at the job.

Turf
08-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Whoever it is I just wish someone on this team would do something with a sense of urgency.