• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

OpIv37's late postgame thoughts

I'm out of market and had to TiVo NFLN's replay of the game. I just finished watching it so here goes:

The Bad:
    -Kelly Holcomb. His passes are slow, he never goes downfield, he can't avoid the rush, and he made two ill-advised passes (one that was an INT for a TD the other way). He flat- out sucked.
    -pass blocking and Jason Peters.
    -Special Teams, with the exception of Lindell and 3 good kicks by Nick Setta. Even Moorman looked average except one good punt. I found this particularly disappointing because this unit was dominant last year and is pretty much unchanged.,
    - Pass D- the defenders seemed uncomfortable in the zone and weren't really sure where to be- I also counted 3 drops on potential INT's (Youboty, Leonard and one more). The DL seemed to be getting some penetration but wasn't getting there in time.
    -Terrance McGee got owned
    -Josh Reed had his obligatory drop.
    -PENALTIES, although I'm not gonna panic on this yet because it's the first preseason game and some of the guys commiting them won't be on the team or won't be playing much.
    -Kliff Kingsbury has no business being on an NFL roster. I've played backyard football with guys that can throw better than him.

The Good:
    -JP Losman. He struggled against Carolina's 1st team, especially with accuracy, but showed some signs of a veteran. He threw two passes to guys who were being held and drew at least 3 offsides penalties. He made plays with his legs and kept his eyes downfield. His accuracy needs to improve and he needs to calm down a little in the pocket, but the kid's got a cannon and is showing signs of development.
    -Kyle Williams. He was getting into the backfield and made some tackles, including 2 against Carolina's 1st team (minus Delhomme). This guy may be a true run stuffer in this D.
    -Run D was better than I was expecting. Bowen was a missile on running plays- I hope his injury isn't serious.
    -Sam Aiken played well on O and ST.
    -There will be NO WR screens against this team this year- our CB's are too good at open field tackles. Even Greer stopped two WR screens in their tracks.
    -ALL the RB's looked good (except McGahee but he only played 2 series and the rest of the O stunk it up). Gates better be on the team this year. I also liked the way TE's and WR's were being used in the run-blocking schemes.

Comments on coaching: Again, I liked the run-blocking schemes. I didn't like the 2 runs on 3rd and long, especially the one on 3rd and 18 on the last drive. It was too conservative and predictable- even I knew it was a draw play as soon as they broke the huddle. Other than that, no real complaints.

Guys who did nothing: Rosoe Parrish, Martin Nance, Donte Whitner, Peerless Price. It's not that they were bad- they were just complete non-factors. Based on what I've been hearing about these guys in camp, I was hoping they would show something in the game.

Overall, I see more struggles moving the ball on O and a lot of open passing lanes, particularly early in the season. And this QB **** needs to end- Holcomb was just awful. I doubt Jauron will hand the keys over after 1 preseason game, but Losman definitely earned it tonight. ST needs to get back to last year's level. Keep an eye on Kyle Williams and Eric King. Jackson will be cut- not because he did poorly but because all the guys ahead of him played well.
    Last edited by OpIv37; 08-14-2006, 12:07 AM.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • JerseyBoofaloBills
    • Aug 2006

Re: OpIv37's late postgame thoughts

ya what he said.

hah out of a 1 to great scale. these notes were great. hah totally agree with everything you said.

Comment

• shelby
      The Vanilla *****
      • Jul 2002

Very positive, Op, i'm impressed!

Seriously, nice breakdown.

Whitner led the D in tackles with 4, btw.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
        • Jan 2003

I was the first one to give opinions on the game but everybody else felt the need to make their own thread.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
          • Mar 2005

Comment

• Mitchy moo
            Roways rooking ahread!
            • Sep 2005

nice OP, I think your right on!

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
              I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
              • May 2005

Pretty accurate assessment in my opinion Op... Here's to hoping things improve on a weekly basis!

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by shelby
                Very positive, Op, i'm impressed!

Seriously, nice breakdown.

Whitner led the D in tackles with 4, btw.
                That's because this time he started with the bad and ended with the good.

Great assessment OP. I didn't see the game but everything you said matched up with all the reports I read. I'm glad you got to see what type of presence Bowen can be. Whitner better show what he's cable of while he has a chance. This may make up for some of the time he missed at camp.

As for the QB situation, I'd really like to see Holcomb get sent packing for the #3. He had his chance to compete with JP one on one and blew it. Now let JP and Nall battle it out without having to split reps between three QBs. I think Nall can push JP to that next level better then Holcomb ever could.

Comment

• jmb1099
                  • Sep 2004

Good stuff. I remember reading an interview with Jauron and he mentioned that this would be the first time that the team would engage in any full contact. I've been thinking about that and have concluded that it has to be a factor of some sort for all of them. The schemes they were running were very vanilla by design, we all knew they would be going in. So I guess what I'm waiting for in the next game is to see if we add some sprinkles or stay strictly vanilla. The other thing I'm looking for is to see how much (if any) a factor the "no hitting in camp" policy had in the first game. It appeared they started to settle down a bit after a while, the next game should be an indication.
                  After a shaky start, Losman settled down and looked like an NFL qb. He put together 3 scoring drives (yes it was against scrubs but he was also playing with scrubs). More reps will help solidify his performance. If he can take a couple less sacks, which by the way are better than ints for td's, toss a td, and complete 62.5% of his passes again than DJ will name him the starter and rightfully so.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                    • Jul 2005

Not to be repetitive, but nice summary. Those were my observations to a T.

I hope we don't have to worry about McGee. He was getting picked apart. That's not a player I was expecting to have question marks about.
                    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by jmb1099
                      After a shaky start, Losman settled down and looked like an NFL qb. He put together 3 scoring drives (yes it was against scrubs but he was also playing with scrubs).
                      Good point (about JP playing with scrubs against scrubs). A solid performance this friday should pretty much lock the job down for JP. Unless Nall somehow wanders back into the mix.......interesting to see if they let him, or if they decide to keep it a 2-man competition so as to permit the winner some camp and preseaon time to work consistently with the first team.
                      Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Aug 2004

Thanks for your analysis OP. Very balanced. Good work. And, much appreciated.
                        Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                          I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                          • Sep 2004

Ok, now just tell us, what you really think .............................................................

J/K, Great breakdown man!!
                          The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Nice job, man! I knew you could be positive!

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                              Nice job, man! I knew you could be positive!

I believe in giving credit where credit's due, and even though we didn't do everything right, some people deserve credit for their performance.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X