PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with TD. (Must Read)

Romes
02-21-2003, 01:35 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=164998

Every Bill fan has to read this. As I usually do, I will provide some "tidbits" (just for you log)

First of all he states that the DL and LB will be addressed this off-season.
We want to address our defense, we want to address our defensive line, we want to address linebacker. Those aren't secrets. Those are priorities on our football team as we head into the offseason.

I wonder who they are thinking about getting
We have a plan going in [to free agency] , we'll be flexible with it, we'll make adjustments and we'll be patient. If we have a guy or two pinpointed and we don't get them, it's not the end of the world. You just have to regroup and go on to Plan B.

Would a tranisition tag descourage him form pursuing someone? (translation: Will he pursue Spikes?)

"It makes it more challenging when a team does that. I won't say that it would or wouldn't. But one of the problems with that tag is a lot of times you feel like you're doing somebody else's work. That can discourage you, but I'm not saying it would eliminate us from doing it. If you do go after a player like that, it essentially takes you out of the market for seven days. I don't know anybody that's been faced with matching a transition tag that hasn't waited right until the end."

Well, TD feels LeBeau will be here
My gut feeling is that he's coming. We have given Dick some time. It would be an addition to Gregg's staff, so it's not like it's a position we feel like we have to fill if Dick would say that he isn't (coming). But we told Dick, 'Take your time and make sure that it's what you want to do.' Dick came in and visited with Gregg and Jerry Gray. They had a great visit. They talked about how Dick would fit in. Those of you who know Dick certainly understand his character and he wanted to make sure that everybody was comfortable that if he did come he wouldn't be stepping on anybody's toes. People wouldn't see him as a threat. Gregg has been in touch with him since the visit. My feeling is it will get resolved. We just kind of left the ball right now in Dick's court."

There is so much to talk about in this interview that I could have just cut and paste the whole article. Anyway, read, enjoy and lets discuss some of his comments.

Cntrygal
02-21-2003, 03:14 PM
Good job Romes! :up:

btw... I put this on the front page (billszone.com). There's a link there that will allow you to submit any news for us to "publish". When it gets published.... you "earn" a few extra zb's.

Judge
02-21-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
Good job Romes! :up:

btw... I put this on the front page (billszone.com). There's a link there that will allow you to submit any news for us to "publish". When it gets published.... you "earn" a few extra zb's.

Why did Romes do a good job? Did he interview TD himself, or did he copy off of another web site?

Romes
02-21-2003, 05:20 PM
Thanks Cntry. But really, it wasn't very difficult. Just trying to get some conversation on this going, but it doesn't seem to be going very well.

Tatonka
02-21-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Judge

Why did Romes do a good job? Did he interview TD himself, or did he copy off of another web site?

he did a good job by finding an interesting read and posting the highlights of the interview... he contributed.. try it sometime.:maggie:

Cntrygal
02-21-2003, 10:27 PM
:lol: Tatonka! Your answer is better than the the " :rolleyes: " I was thinking of.

;)

Judge
02-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

he did a good job by finding an interesting read and posting the highlights of the interview... he contributed.. try it sometime.:maggie:

Not much of an effort to copy and paste.

The_Philster
02-21-2003, 10:37 PM
It's only plagiarism if the source isn't credited :rolleyes:

Judge
02-21-2003, 10:39 PM
By the way, I know it was tough to find that article. The Bills sent it to me in an e-mail through their e-mail update service.

Wow- is that all it takes to be considered a contributor here?

Cntrygal
02-21-2003, 10:42 PM
:rolleyes:

Judge
02-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
:rolleyes:

Right back at ya.:coocoo:

Tatonka
02-21-2003, 10:47 PM
By the way, I know it was tough to find that article. The Bills sent it to me in an e-mail through their e-mail update service.

Wow- is that all it takes to be considered a contributor here?

well.. i was going to explain to you what i consider a contributor, but you would just waste more of my time with some more dribble that just proves my point more.. :shake:

Romes
02-22-2003, 01:24 AM
Thanks for defending my posts Cntry and Tatonka :cheers:

I didn't know how to respond to Judge. He is a little intimidating (and judgemental after all that is his gimmick).

:couch:

:D

Bufftp
02-22-2003, 06:41 AM
Good post romes. I'm hoping TD has the D as a priority.

WG
02-22-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Romes
Thanks Cntry. But really, it wasn't very difficult. Just trying to get some conversation on this going, but it doesn't seem to be going very well.

Well, I'm here now, and just startin' to "dip my pen", so....

Originally posted by Romes
Thanks for defending my posts Cntry and Tatonka :cheers:

I didn't know how to respond to Judge. He is a little intimidating (and judgemental after all that is his gimmick).

:couch:

Yeah, he's a few other things too! :D

Easy there Judge, don't fall off your bench!

See Romes, you gotta understand a few things about Judge and you won't be intimidated. He's a liberal. About as liberal as they get. Generally libs don't provide a whole lot of substance to anything, they merely say things and complain and whine a lot w/o offering any solutions, practical or otherwise. When they do, they usually fall into the impractical side.

So just take what he says w/ a grain of salt. Don't expect much in the way of reason or sense. Expect what you just got here. I know, b/c a lot of people criticize what I say often b/c I hold provocative viewpoints to say the least. Many people argue or hold counter views but say why. Tatonka is one, 137 at times, many others. They counter but then make sense doing so. Judge never does. He only hammers but never, or rarely (never say never), does he put together a string of his own stuff. Textbook liberal ideology in fact. Short one-liners and slogans that make people laugh (some people, sometimes), and that's the extent of their platform.

So once you look at it like that, it'll start making some sense, at least from the perspective of self-sanity. But don't be intimidated!!! I will say this, I always try to respond courteously, professionally, and politely to the harshest of my critics, but with Judge there's usually just nothing to respond to.

Hope that helps. ;)

BTW, to find all of Judge's contributions, go look at the very top of the front page. They're all listed there. Or not! :D

WG
02-22-2003, 08:01 AM
As to this article, the one thing that perplexes me is what the plan is with Price. Did we only tag him as a front to try and draw interest from other teams? Usually when a team tags a player that player ends up signing a L/T contract. For sure that isn't out of the question.

In any case, someone brought this up before too, maybe you, with a L/T contract, there will be a huge bonus involved and with all the other players we'll have coming up, does that make sense for L/T cap management? I don't think it does unless this team can't function w/o Price. Which it can. Even w/o Price we have more talent on O than 3/4 of the teams in the league.

Signing Price further mitigates our ability to get things improved on D. Terminally so. There's just no way that we're gonna fill 4 spots, DT, DE, and 2 OLB with decent players if we resign Price, I don't care what his contract looks like. He's gonna cost us at least $3M this season! He's rumored to command a $10-12M SB, that's ~ $2M/yr. and his salary, even this year, wouldn't be less than $1M or so. That's $3M right there for this year.

Obviously no one is in TD's mind. Perhaps he's waiting for a draftday trade. But if he's really intent on signing Price, I think it's a mistake. Something's not right. B/c there's no way that we're going to, as he says, "We want to address our defense, we want to address our defensive line, we want to address linebacker. Those aren't secrets. Those are priorities on our football team as we head into the offseason." do that unless we have some cash.

So the big question is "is he serious, or is he simply saying what many fans want to hear?" Based on last season's offseason, it wouldn't surprise me if he was just making moves to sell tix and saying things to keep those who know we won't have a chance a SB win coming in. IDK, it seems silly, but why would we spend so much money on keeping a #2 WR when our needs for D were so neglected last year and by releasing Newman this year they actually get worse by creating an extra need at OLB, for 2 there.

But right now, what's being said and what're being done are two different things.

Tatonka
02-22-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

I will say this, I always try to respond courteously, professionally, and politely to the harshest of my critics, but with Judge there's usually just nothing to respond to.

rofl.. nice write up wys.. gave me a good chuckle this morning..

Tatonka
02-22-2003, 08:37 AM

But right now, what's being said and what're being done are two different things.

well.. while i understand what your saying, worst case scenario at this point is that we sign him to a L/T deal that is cap friendly. there is no way TD keeps PP at the tag price all year. if he signs a L/T deal, then we get to spend a little less on the defense, sure... maybe we only get to fill 2-3 of the spots we need to.

but at this point we are obligated to do nothing... so it really cant hurt.. you know?...

we can still do all of the following, easily...
1) sign him to a l/t deal, and keep him
2) sign him to a l/t deal, and trade him within 24 hours for no cap hit.
3) sign him to a one year tender
4) trade him in after either 2 or 3 above.
5) remove the tag and let him walk.

that is the most options that we could have.. and all of them cost nothing at this point..

how would you respond if TD ended up getting a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick in the upcoming year? and spent them both on defense?

could u still say that his actions of tagging price arent following what he has been saying?

nothing has happened yet except td trying to maximize the potential loss of a FA

don137
02-22-2003, 08:51 AM
As to this article, the one thing that perplexes me is what the plan is with Price. Did we only tag him as a front to try and draw interest from other teams? Usually when a team tags a player that player ends up signing a L/T contract. For sure that isn't out of the question.

In any case, someone brought this up before too, maybe you, with a L/T contract, there will be a huge bonus involved and with all the other players we'll have coming up, does that make sense for L/T cap management? I don't think it does unless this team can't function w/o Price. Which it can. Even w/o Price we have more talent on O than 3/4 of the teams in the league.

Signing Price further mitigates our ability to get things improved on D. Terminally so. There's just no way that we're gonna fill 4 spots, DT, DE, and 2 OLB with decent players if we resign Price, I don't care what his contract looks like. He's gonna cost us at least $3M this season! He's rumored to command a $10-12M SB, that's ~ $2M/yr. and his salary, even this year, wouldn't be less than $1M or so. That's $3M right there for this year.

Obviously no one is in TD's mind. Perhaps he's waiting for a draftday trade. But if he's really intent on signing Price, I think it's a mistake. Something's not right. B/c there's no way that we're going to, as he says, "We want to address our defense, we want to address our defensive line, we want to address linebacker. Those aren't secrets. Those are priorities on our football team as we head into the offseason." do that unless we have some cash.

So the big question is "is he serious, or is he simply saying what many fans want to hear?" Based on last season's offseason, it wouldn't surprise me if he was just making moves to sell tix and saying things to keep those who know we won't have a chance a SB win coming in. IDK, it seems silly, but why would we spend so much money on keeping a #2 WR when our needs for D were so neglected last year and by releasing Newman this year they actually get worse by creating an extra need at OLB, for 2 there.

:rofl: Nice job Wys... Maybe we should change his avatar and put up a picture of Tom Daschle.

Judge
02-22-2003, 10:03 AM
Wys has done nothing but insult me for months. Why should he change now?

Insults are the last refuge of the people who are wrong or who are not smart enough to think of anything else to say.

The_Philster
02-22-2003, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't be talking to be honest. Calling out Romes because he provided info that was a cut-and-paste job wasn't exactly right. Not everyone looks at the same newssources and many people simply find it easier to come here where people like Romes, PA STH, Cntrygal, and myself try to contribute by bringing in articles from around the Internet.

Earthquake Enyart
02-22-2003, 12:37 PM

Insults are the last refuge of the people who are wrong or who are not smart enough to think of anything else to say.

:lol:
Look in the mirror.

Tatonka
02-22-2003, 04:20 PM

Insults are the last refuge of the people who are wrong or who are not smart enough to think of anything else to say. :cry: :shakeno:

my heart bleeds for you, considering that you came on this thread first to take an uwarrented jab at someone who was posting interesting info.. i could give a **** where it came from.. i hadn't seen it yet and i enjoyed reading it, so i said thank you and told romes he did a good job..

you come in with a "wow.. big deal.. the guy didnt do crap.. just a cut and paste job" attitude, knowing that it could do nothing but be offensive, when you could have kept your trap shut.. all you had to do was not say anything about us saying thank you and none of the posts towards you would have been made..

if you want to dish it out, expect it in return..

/hands judge the tissues.

Romes
02-22-2003, 07:21 PM
Good post Wys, (both of them)

I understand your concerns because I think we all here desperatly want to help the defense. I think the tag is a good thing, it gives us the possibilty of actually getting something for Price. It also forces him and his agent to have negotiations with us.

Although, if by draft time all we have out of this situation is 2 high priced WR and not enough help on defense. I too will be skeptical about TD's decesion.

Judge
02-22-2003, 09:57 PM
It's good to hear the truth every once in a while. If you don't like it, so be it- I'll keep posting my opinions, whether anyone likes them or not!

What fun would this place be if everyone agreed?

Tatonka
02-22-2003, 11:28 PM
It's good to hear the truth every once in a while. If you don't like it, so be it- I'll keep posting my opinions, whether anyone likes them or not!

your not speaking truth or enlighting anyone.. your just being rude.. they say, if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all.. you took a pot shot at someone for no apparent reason.. quit being a martyr and act like your speaking some much needed truth..

venis2k1
02-23-2003, 12:19 AM
This thread is going down hill fast.

WG
02-23-2003, 12:05 PM
T etal.,

Yeah, I think we're all on the same sheet. Judge is..., ...oops, wrong topic...! :D

Price's tagging is no risk, for now. But where I will probably differ more than most of you is that I think that TD truly is trying to resign Price and given that, there's no way on earth that our D is the priority then or that we would even be able to make very significant changes. If Price resigns, IMO it will cost us down the road. What if our system changes or Drew isn't our QB after the next year or two?

As well, it would cost us if we have to hold cap space during a prolonged period where we can't trade him.

If we get a first and third for Price I'll buy you an order of wings next time I'm in UNY. I'll wager any kind of ZBs, or other :D, that we don't get a first rounder for Price. GMs, unless they're stupid, hello Butler, know fully that Price has had only one good season and then only in a system where it fostered it for any #2 WR. At least that's what I see. Otherwise Price would have done a little something in his first three years.

Keep in mind, and this is something that GMs will do their research on, Price, in 44 games prior to this season, had only 5 100 yard games vice 26 games under 50 yards. His performances also tapered off drastically over the last half of this season averaging less than 60 yards per game.

I just don't see anyone giving such a WR, especially a WR, so much cash and a first+ draft pick(s). I think we'll really be lucky to get a 2nd. If all we get is a 3rd and we end up tying up our FAcy process for weeks while players that we could have otherwise gotten slip away, it won't have been worth the 3rd. Maybe not even a 2nd.

But again, I'm not in TD's head. Maybe he has some sort of master plan. We'll start finding out next Friday. If we don't bring anyone in to interview over the first 2-3 weeks of FAcy, then I'm really gonna be scratchin' my head over here.

kgun12
02-23-2003, 12:08 PM

We aren't suppose to agree on everything. BUT we were all suppose to have agreed on ATTACTING the POST NOT the POSTER! What you did and often do, don't feel bad your not alone. There are several people that come on this site that don't contribute to the thread, rather just throw out shot and jab. Like wys said. I for one think, it gets rather old.

WG
02-23-2003, 12:11 PM

Sorry there Judge, almost forgot you. How could I do that!

Anyway, I think it's b/c there's so much substance in this post that I'll have to ponder my response. It'll take some heavy forethought!

I'm leaning towards the "Liar, liar, pants on fire" approach. But I want to make sure that I approach this properly or I'll just get wasted by your wit!

;)

Oh yeah, a thank you for your corroboration is due! :)

Romes
02-23-2003, 12:22 PM
http://msn.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1513186.html

Pasquarelli is saying TD is trying to get Peerless for a contract worth 5 years $15 million or in other words around $3 million a year for Price. Thats not a huge contract and I think a bargain for Price. We save $3 million just be cutting PP. Pasq to says that TD would rather resign PP but only under the teams terms. Point being that TD is not going to "break the bank" as he said on Price. That being said I don't think Price will accept that deal, I think he will be gone.

In which case, in the same little Tip Sheet bullet, the Falcons are interested in prying PP away from us and will talk to TD to see what it will take.