PDA

View Full Version : Fins Sign "Big Daddy" Dan Wilkinson

LtFinFan66
08-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Bit of depth at NT. Traylor isn't getting any younger.

Dan Wilkinson Signs (http://www.finheaven.com/news/miami_dolphins/dan_wilkinson_signs_200608143378/)
August 14, 2006

http://muck.finheaven.com/phins/wilkinson.jpg[Sun-Sentinel (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-814dolphinswilkinson,0,4282044.story?coll=sfla-sports-front)] In an effort to shore up their depth inside, the Dolphins signed veteran defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson on Monday.

Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Wilkinson, 33, was released by the Lions in June reportedly because of philosophical differences with the defensive system being installed by new coach Rod Marinelli. Shortly after, Wilkinson visited the Dolphins, and coach Nick Saban said he was interested in acquiring him.

Wilkinson attended practice Monday morning but didn't participate. At 6-foot-4, 335 pounds, he is expected to provide backup assistance to starting nose tackle Keith Traylor, who turns 37 next month and has dealt with chronic knee pain over the last few years.

Goobylal
08-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Wilkinson is still in the league? How bad is the Dols' D-line that they had to sign him?

As for age, he's 33-1/2. Not exactly a spring chicken.

OpIv37
08-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Bit of depth at NT. Traylor isn't getting any younger.

and the Dolphins D isn't getting any younger with this signing. The knock on their D for the last few years has been age- they need to infuse some youth rather than stopgap solutions.

T-Nasty24
08-14-2006, 10:30 PM
**** him!

LtFinFan66
08-14-2006, 10:36 PM
They had a young NT until he got depressed and didn't want to play. They have some young guys but needed a vet to help out Traylor(who is 37)

chubluv
08-14-2006, 11:05 PM
Hes not going to make a difference one way or another.

Devin
08-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Good depth/insurance signing, however at almost 34 years of age he isnt gonna bring to much to the table.

But they likely got him cheap so no biggie.

tat2dmike77
08-15-2006, 12:51 AM
What a steal

LtFinFan66
08-15-2006, 12:57 AM
at least we have a Buckeye now:up:

SABURZFAN
08-15-2006, 03:37 AM
335 means 375. :fat:

Ickybaluky
08-15-2006, 03:47 AM
I think this is an excellent signing for Miami. Wilkerson doesn't like to practice, but he is a big body who is tough to move and can control the LOS.

Unless he gets injured or something, he will clog up the middle in Miami and make them tougher against the run. Plus, considering their depth inside was a little thin, it allows them to keep Holliday at End (Carter as well, although I think they use Holiday inside more) where he is better suited.

LtFinFan66
08-15-2006, 03:53 AM
335 means 375. :fat:we didn't ask your weight SAB

Historian
08-15-2006, 05:30 AM
I didn't know he was still alive....

FinFaninBuffalo
08-15-2006, 07:01 AM
Haven't Bills fans complained about the loss of Pat Williams and Sam Adams over the last couple of years? Williams is one year older and Adams is the same age.

All the talk about being too old smacks of whining. The Fins DT rotation just got younger (as funny as that seems).

Ickybaluky
08-15-2006, 07:51 AM
Pat Williams looked good the other night against Oakland. Minnesota is tough to run on.

Michael82
08-15-2006, 08:14 AM
if the Bills signed this washed up fattie, the Dolphins fans would have been here ripping on us for signing another bum off the street. Now that they signed him, they are probably drooling over him and declaring it a steal. :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
08-15-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm surprised we didn't snag that has been to be our starter. Wait, forgot TD is no longer our GM.

Michael82
08-15-2006, 08:38 AM
I'm surprised we didn't snag that has been to be our starter. Wait, forgot TD is no longer our GM.
:rofl:

North_Coast
08-15-2006, 08:53 AM
"Big Daddy" has been a FA since June. If he was soooooo good, why didn't some team sign him before training camp??? In fact, why didn't Miami sign him before training camp???

According to Finheaven homers, Wilkinson only wanted to sign with Miami, but he didn't want to practice in the South Florida heat.

Yeah, right. :lmao:

Bling
08-15-2006, 09:39 AM
we didn't ask your weight SAB

ROFL!!!!!!! SAB just got pwned!!!

Bling
08-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Haven't Bills fans complained about the loss of Pat Williams and Sam Adams over the last couple of years? Williams is one year older and Adams is the same age.

All the talk about being too old smacks of whining. The Fins DT rotation just got younger (as funny as that seems).

and Sam Adams is 5 lbs. lighter. You don't have to argue the point, it's just blind homerism.

RedEyE
08-15-2006, 09:43 AM
I belive that I actually have this guys rookie card. I think I'm going to stir my tartar sauce with it as I sit down to my Friday night fish fry.

North_Coast
08-15-2006, 10:05 AM
I belive that I actually have this guys rookie card. I think I'm going to stir my tartar sauce with it as I sit down to my Friday night fish fry.

"Big Daddy" was a first rounder, and if I'm not mistaken, maybe a Top 10 pick, which, of course, made him a bust because he never played up to expectations.

Maybe you ought not to stir your tartar sauce with his rookie card ... I bet you could get big $$ on Ebay from some Sabanized Carphomie who's sure Wilkinson will turn into the all pro he never was when Nick sprinkles some fairy dust on him. :lol:

LtFinFan66
08-15-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm surprised we didn't snag that has been to be our starter. Wait, forgot TD is no longer our GM.instead you have "never will be's"

LtFinFan66
08-15-2006, 10:26 AM
"Big Daddy" has been a FA since June. If he was soooooo good, why didn't some team sign him before training camp??? In fact, why didn't Miami sign him before training camp???

According to Finheaven homers, Wilkinson only wanted to sign with Miami, but he didn't want to practice in the South Florida heat.

Yeah, right. :lmao:go to FinHeaven and look at threads from June Einstein. We had him in then and it was made public then that he did not want to go through an entire training camp at his age. Some ripped him for it and some understood. So don't laugh too hard

justasportsfan
08-15-2006, 10:29 AM
instead you have "never will be's"LT is was a shot at TD not the fins. He's being brought in by the fins for depth. Nothing wrong with that. TD would've made him a starter. Don't be so defensive.

LtFinFan66
08-15-2006, 10:31 AM
I just wanted to get in on the "everyone the Fins sign is garbage" and "everyone the Bills sign is golden" (and vice versa) argument for once. I was bored

justasportsfan
08-15-2006, 10:35 AM
I just wanted to get in on the "everyone the Fins sign is garbage" and "everyone the Bills sign is golden" (and vice versa) argument for once. I was bored

For a second there I thought that was just your reaction to your menopause. :idunno:

LtFinFan66
08-15-2006, 10:45 AM
I am a very young 40 dammit

FinFaninBuffalo
08-15-2006, 10:49 AM

Yeah, right. :lmao:

Do we actually have to produce the stories that stated this very fact in June and July? I'm sure you have already seen them. The negotiation with Wilkinson have been heavily covered all along. It was only a matter of time.

FinFaninBuffalo
08-15-2006, 10:55 AM
LT is was a shot at TD not the fins. He's being brought in by the fins for depth. Nothing wrong with that. TD would've made him a starter. Don't be so defensive.

He was brought in as part of the youth movement:

Traylor - 37 next month
Zgonina - 36
Wilkinson - 33

feelthepain
08-15-2006, 11:25 AM
We have plenty of youth being added, but as with everything Saban does he likes experience to help the youth learn. Big Daddy had a real nice season last year and he's still young enough to make a solid impact for us in a rotation of Traylor/Evans/Wilkerson at the NT position because we will be running the 3/4 as our base D with 4-3 looks to it to confuse. We need big bodies in the middle to shut down the running lanes and force things to the outside where Sabam has added speed and good tacklers to the secondary to come up and attack the LOS.

As for Miamis youth at the Dline:

Fred Evans
Kevin Vickerson
Josh Shaw
Manny Wright
Rod Wright
Steve Fifita
Howard Green

All are DT and all are very young some wil stick ,some won't. Saban knows very well about youth and it's why we have so many DT. Saban will continue to develop the young players by rotating them in and out giving them experience while not depending on them in a major role. Fred Eveans has been a very nice surprise to the Dline after being taken in the 7th round in the 06 draft and if continues to improve will find a regular spot on the line. Rod Wright was thought to be one of the nations top Dlinemen before his injured shoulder held him back last year, while he won't see any action this season he will be redy to rock in 07. Kevein Vickerson was another plesant surprise before he was taken out of a game last year by an illeagle chop block, but he is back and will factor in at some point this season unless someone steps up and takes his roster spot. All in all Miami has a nice combonation of youth and experience and we are far from old. The best part is by having such talent with the youth it keeps the older players more fresh by not depending on them for every down. Saban is doing a nice Job keepeing players fresh and ready to play.

SABURZFAN
08-15-2006, 01:02 PM
we didn't ask your weight SAB

:mad:

SABURZFAN
08-15-2006, 01:03 PM
I am a very young 40 dammit

:fogey:

SABURZFAN
08-15-2006, 02:23 PM
ROFL!!!!!!! SAB just got pwned!!!

it looks as if my whore can do more than just groan. :rolleyes:

North_Coast
08-15-2006, 02:57 PM
We have plenty of youth being added, but as with everything Saban does he likes experience to help the youth learn. Big Daddy had a real nice season last year and he's still young enough to make a solid impact for us in a rotation of Traylor/Evans/Wilkerson at the NT position because we will be running the 3/4 as our base D with 4-3 looks to it to confuse. We need big bodies in the middle to shut down the running lanes and force things to the outside where Sabam has added speed and good tacklers to the secondary to come up and attack the LOS.

As for Miamis youth at the Dline:

Fred Evans
Kevin Vickerson
Josh Shaw
Manny Wright
Rod Wright
Steve Fifita
Howard Green

All are DT and all are very young some wil stick ,some won't. Saban knows very well about youth and it's why we have so many DT. Saban will continue to develop the young players by rotating them in and out giving them experience while not depending on them in a major role. Fred Eveans has been a very nice surprise to the Dline after being taken in the 7th round in the 06 draft and if continues to improve will find a regular spot on the line. Rod Wright was thought to be one of the nations top Dlinemen before his injured shoulder held him back last year, while he won't see any action this season he will be redy to rock in 07. Kevein Vickerson was another plesant surprise before he was taken out of a game last year by an illeagle chop block, but he is back and will factor in at some point this season unless someone steps up and takes his roster spot. All in all Miami has a nice combonation of youth and experience and we are far from old. The best part is by having such talent with the youth it keeps the older players more fresh by not depending on them for every down. Saban is doing a nice Job keepeing players fresh and ready to play.

Ummm ... Manny Wright? He doesn't want to play ... Didn't he leave camp? I thought the Carp got an exemption for him because of that, so therefore, 24-year-old Manny doesn't count.

North_Coast
08-15-2006, 03:02 PM
go to FinHeaven and look at threads from June Einstein. We had him in then and it was made public then that he did not want to go through an entire training camp at his age. Some ripped him for it and some understood. So don't laugh too hard

Puleeze!!!! Let's be realistic here. The Carp didn't want Big Daddy any more than anybody else until Manny Wright left or was excused from TC, and they suddenly needed another NT.

You Carppies can't have it both ways. Either Saban is a guy who runs a tight ship or he's a push-over who let's a lazy slug (Wilkinson) do what he pleases. Hey, as a Bills fan, I want the latter, but I don't think that's who Saban is.

justasportsfan
08-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Manny Wright

You sure you want to put Manny Wright in that list? If he's not crying he's whining.

FinFaninBuffalo
08-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Puleeze!!!! Let's be realistic here. The Carp didn't want Big Daddy any more than anybody else until Manny Wright left or was excused from TC, and they suddenly needed another NT.

You Carppies can't have it both ways. Either Saban is a guy who runs a tight ship or he's a push-over who let's a lazy slug (Wilkinson) do what he pleases. Hey, as a Bills fan, I want the latter, but I don't think that's who Saban is.

From an article on the sun-sentinel.com:

Coach Nick Saban said the Wilkinson signing was not related to backup defensive tackle Manny Wright's departure from the team last week. Wilkinson took a free-agent visit with the Dolphins in June and said he declined other feelers from Green Bay, Oakland, Baltimore and Philadelphia.

"We've been trying to get this done for a long time," Saban said.

feelthepain
08-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Ummm ... Manny Wright? He doesn't want to play ... Didn't he leave camp? I thought the Carp got an exemption for him because of that, so therefore, 24-year-old Manny doesn't count.

Manny is still a Dolphin, they are trying to get him back into camp, do your research.

feelthepain
08-15-2006, 04:13 PM

Saban wants to win. With big wide bodies to gobble up blockers the LB's can run around them and make plays, as I stated above he will make a nice addition to our rotation making sure we always have a fresh run stuffing NT. The last two seasons the Bills lost Pat Williams and Sam Adams both big fat old Dlinemen, but players that played their roles (no pun intended) well. Big Daddy had a solid season on a team that didn't do much to speak of. Wilkerson chose Miami over GB/Philly/Oakland and a couple others because he thought they are a team on the rise and in all his 12 seasons he's been to one playoff game, he sees his chances increase greatly of reaching the playoffs in Miami. Just another example of no matter who the Fins sign, Bill fans have issues.

hellsapoppin
08-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Wilkinson is still in the league? How bad is the Dols' D-line that they had to sign him?

As for age, he's 33-1/2. Not exactly a spring chicken. Not young but very experienced...

North_Coast
08-15-2006, 04:57 PM
You FishFans can spin the facts anyway you want, but I'm skeptical that the signing of "Big Daddy" didn't have something to do with Manny Wright. :lol:

L.A. Playa
08-15-2006, 05:04 PM
restauraunt in So Florida are rejoicing

SABURZFAN
08-15-2006, 05:08 PM
restauraunt in So Florida are rejoicing

buffets are in trouble.

L.A. Playa
08-15-2006, 05:09 PM
buffets are in trouble.

all you can eat !!!!

http://www.firekite.com/store/misc/pics/forum6/fatboys.jpg

LtFinFan66
08-15-2006, 05:43 PM

You Carppies can't have it both ways. Either Saban is a guy who runs a tight ship or he's a push-over who let's a lazy slug (Wilkinson) do what he pleases. Hey, as a Bills fan, I want the latter, but I don't think that's who Saban is.if you knew what the hell you were talking about, I would give a crap about what you say but you don't......dismissed!

FinFaninBuffalo
08-15-2006, 07:13 PM
You FishFans can spin the facts anyway you want, but I'm skeptical that the signing of "Big Daddy" didn't have something to do with Manny Wright. :lol:

Here is part of an article from June 10th:

Defensive tackle Dan "Big Daddy" Wilkinson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=2760), released by the Detroit Lions (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=det) last month, visited here with Miami Dolphins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=mia) officials earlier this week team officials confirmed, and coach Nick Saban said Saturday that his team is interested in adding the 12-year veteran to the roster. <table style="width: 73px; height: 11px;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td rowspan="2" width="8"> </td><td width="65">
</td></tr><tr><td width="65">
</td></tr></tbody> </table> Whether the Dolphins can lure Wilkinson to South Florida, after a career spent exclusively playing in the North and the Midwest, remains to be seen.
"Sure, we're interested and we had a good visit with him [on Thursday]," Saban said. "But from what we understand, there are other people interested in him, too. So we'll see what happens."

dolphan117
08-15-2006, 07:43 PM
You FishFans can spin the facts anyway you want, but I'm skeptical that the signing of "Big Daddy" didn't have something to do with Manny Wright. :lol:Here is some fact spinning for you.
From Saban's PC

(On why he signed Wilkinson now after months of discussion) – “We don’t totally control all of that. It has to work for both people. I could say, ‘Why did you get married when you were 26 instead of when you were 21? You’ve been dating the girl for eight years. Why didn’t you marry her five years ago?’ Well maybe she didn’t want to get married. It took you five more years to get it done, so the same thing with this kind of stuff. We don’t control the timing of all issues. It has to be a deal that works for both people. It’s something that we’ve been working on for quite some time, and we’re happy that we’re able to add the guy to the team; certainly better now than never.”

(On if the signing is connected to Manny Wright’s absence from camp) – “None. No connection. I mean if you look at the baseline of the timetable. That’s not easy to figure out. If we had the guy back here in June, we weren’t having the issues and problems, and we’ve been trying to get this done for a long time. One was not contingent on the other or had anything to do with it.” From Wilkinsons's PC

(On what made him sign now with the Dolphins versus a couple of weeks ago) – “I still have time, a couple of weeks of preseason games, a couple weeks of training camp, now is the time to really get in and get ready for Pittsburgh and that’s my main focus, to come in and be able to contribute and help this team get to that next level. Now is the perfect time for that.”

(On what other teams showed interest in him) – “Five or six other teams. I don’t want to go through the whole list of them now.”

(On if he can name a couple of teams that showed interest) – “Green Bay, Oakland, Philly (Philadelphia), Baltimore, a couple of others.”

(On if he thought about retiring after leaving Detroit) – “No. Right after Detroit let me go I received many phone calls of teams that were interested. I wasn’t in a big rush. That gave me an opportunity to sit back and spend time with my family and just kind of heal my body, which is always helpful. When I was released by the Redskins, having that extra time off really went well for me physically and mentally. Now I’m refreshed. I’m back, I’m excited. What better position to be in?”
So.... We were trying to sign him well before the Manny issue came up, he was being pursued by several other quality teams (the D in Baltimore and Philly are usually pretty good) and the reason he didnt want to sign is that he wanted to sit back, give his body some time to heal and enjoy the family. He went on to say that the reason he didn't sign earlier had nothing to do with the South Florida heat. However its not like a player is ever going to admit to that and I would be very suprised if the heat didn't have just a little to do with his waiting to sign.

Samphin1
08-15-2006, 07:54 PM
I love how the knock will always be that Miami's D is too old. We have heard that for about six or seven years now. Bottom line is, Zach can still play, JT can still play, Kevin Carter can still play, Keith Taylor can still play. All of these guys still have value.

Saban has infused youth into the secondary, and the backup d-line has some young depth to them. They aren't world beaters, but they aren't really supposed to be yet. Fred Evans was impressive in the first game, getting penetration and making tackles.

Kevin Vickerson showed flashes last year before getting hurt and should be able to get some playing time tis season if he keeps working hard. Rod Wright is out this year, but will be back next year and should provide excellent yong depth.

Everyone is always caught up on a youth movement. As o right now, Miami is looking to win now while rebuilding at the same time. That is a tricky balance to have and one that requires a short term commitment to veterans (such as Bid Daddy and Tractor).

As for Manny, he was a fifth round pick and so far, he has had a hrd time living up to that billing. IF he comes back, he has an uphill battle ahead of him.

LtFinFan66
08-19-2006, 11:57 PM
1.5 sacks for Big Daddy tonight. Both against 1st team (Simms)

SABURZFAN
08-20-2006, 03:46 AM
1.5 sacks for Big Daddy tonight. Both against 1st team (Simms)

Big Fatty will get a head of the line privilege for every buffet in miami this week. :up:

!Papacrunk!
08-20-2006, 06:12 AM
Big Fatty will get a head of the line privilege for every buffet in miami this week. :up:

When you're as big as he is, clogging up the middle, don't you think he always gets the head of the line privleges, lol??

SABURZFAN
08-20-2006, 07:50 AM
When you're as big as he is, clogging up the middle, don't you think he always gets the head of the line privleges, lol??

i hate fat people who clog up areas. :fat: