PDA

View Full Version : Brooking's deal worth $41 million over seven years

The_Philster
02-21-2003, 02:36 PM
Just one day after Atlanta Falcons officials publicly declared an impasse in negotiations, the team reached a contract agreement Thursday evening with Keith Brooking, a deal that will keep the team's star middle linebacker off the unrestricted free agent market.

Although the team announced a six-year deal, the contract, league sources said, is actually for seven years. It includes, though, a voidable seventh year that is contingent on Brooking reaching very easy benchmarks.

The signing bonus is about $10.5 million and the total value of the contract is approximately $41 million for seven years and roughly $35 million over the first six seasons.

"It means a lot to me," said Brooking. "It's security for my family and also means I should be able to finish my career right here at home. That meant a lot to me, being able to have my family around me, and being able to stay with a team I grew up watching. It's a pretty emotional thing, really."...more (http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1511902.html)