PDA

View Full Version : What I want to see Against Cinci

ICE74129
08-15-2006, 06:49 AM
I'm still not expecting perfection from JP. I would just like to see a little more improvement than last week. If in 4 series he can lead 3 scoring drives and not throw a pick, then he did just fine. Thats REALITY. No QB is going to come in against the starting defense of another team and go 10-10 250 and 4 TD's on 4 drives. Sorry, no.

I think whats missed here is fans are putting way too much on JP. They are expecting perfection and that won't ever come. Big Ben wasn't perfect, but was very good on a great team. Heck Palmer and Manning I Still have bad games. The difference is more often than not, they are on their game...win or lose. Again...Win or lose.

I hope JP goes and looks at the game film of what holcomb did to cinci last year. Kelly knows how to attack thier defense. They still have definate holes that can be attacked. Can they stop the run? Getting willis going needs to start THIS WEEK or this season is in trouble, JP or no JP.

So if JP gets 4-6 series and can put up 12-17 points and looks BETTER than last week, Then he has done what he needs to do and DJ should end it now and name the kid the starter.

EricStratton
08-15-2006, 07:12 AM
I don't even need 3 or 4 scoring drives, I'd settle for 7-10 points in his time as long as his drives aren't 3 and out or picks.

He just needs to show progress at this point, it's still only August.

Earthquake Enyart
08-15-2006, 07:20 AM
He's a No. 1 draft pick. I expect him to do better than lackluster. With 4-6 series I expect at least 20 points or I will continue to rate him as a failure.

Mitchy moo
08-15-2006, 07:21 AM
Thats REALITY. No QB is going to come in against the starting defense of another team and go 10-10 250 and 4 TD's on 4 drives. Sorry, no.

You must of not watched kurt warner / St. Louis in 1999. The line was -21 in many of those games, they covered in the first half with these kind of stats. You just need gamers & a plan.

Kerr
08-15-2006, 07:26 AM
No QB is going to come in against the starting defense of another team and go 10-10 250 and 4 TD's on 4 drives. Sorry, no.
Nobody is expecting jp to put up those kinds of numbers. You might still be impressed with 62%, but if you remember, rj had good completion percentages as well, but the points offensively didn't show up on the board. I don't really care about flashy numbers. I want the offense to have life, excitement while jp is in there. I want to see points.

chubluv
08-15-2006, 07:28 AM
We all expect & want to see JP do better against 1st teamer's then he did backups. Thats the name of the game. Losman should be getting better after every performance if they let him go out there and play his game. I feel game plans should be made around the talent you have on the team. Not what the coaches want to do. Last year JP was doing 4 different types of game plans in the preseason . The coaches should of just figured in camp what kind of attack was best suited for JP and go with it, but they didn't & they screwed him up.Hopefully DJ and the coaches will figure it out quicker and have more patience then last years staff did.

ICE74129
08-15-2006, 08:00 AM
I don't even need 3 or 4 scoring drives, I'd settle for 7-10 points in his time as long as his drives aren't 3 and out or picks.

He just needs to show progress at this point, it's still only August.

Exactly. Even if its 9 points (3 FG) points are points as long as he looks a little stronger, accurate, a few more good decisions than not etc.

ICE74129
08-15-2006, 08:01 AM
Nobody is expecting jp to put up those kinds of numbers. You might still be impressed with 62%, but if you remember, rj had good completion percentages as well, but the points offensively didn't show up on the board. I don't really care about flashy numbers. I want the offense to have life, excitement while jp is in there. I want to see points.

Then go watch payton manning. I don't give a damn if we win every game 6-3. it still = WINS And thats all I care about. Exciting, boring I dont give a damn. WIN GAMES!!!

Kerr
08-15-2006, 08:35 AM
Then go watch payton manning. I don't give a damn if we win every game 6-3. it still = WINS And thats all I care about. Exciting, boring I dont give a damn. WIN GAMES!!!

Sure, as if our D is really good enough to win close games. Get real.

This offense is going to have to score point in order to win games. It's still a fairly young defense.

HHURRICANE
08-15-2006, 08:47 AM
I want him to pass for 200-300 yards per game this year. So I'd like to see a night where Reed actually catches the ball. Everybody forgets that Jim Kelly had receivers that could catch the ball.

ICE74129
08-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Sure, as if our D is really good enough to win close games. Get real.

This offense is going to have to score point in order to win games. It's still a fairly young defense.

Then again go watch manning because we aren't putting up a ton of points this season even with manning as our QB. Putting up big points requres all three phazes of your game to be clicking and ours wont' be. Not only that I am FAR from sold on this OL which is where ALL of this starts.

eyedog
08-15-2006, 08:55 AM
DJ has already named JP the starter. He just hasn't come out in the media and verbally said it. It's done. Last nights rep distribution told us that.

If JP can walk and chew gum the rest of the camp he is the starter in New England.

Kerr
08-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Then again go watch manning because we aren't putting up a ton of points this season even with manning as our QB. Putting up big points requres all three phazes of your game to be clicking and ours wont' be. Not only that I am FAR from sold on this OL which is where ALL of this starts.

In that case, don't expect to win any games because this defense likely won't be good enough to hold a tight game.

gil
08-15-2006, 09:13 AM
I'd like to see the O-Line step it up a notch as well, it seems JP is needing a little time to get into rythm (it's the pre-season, who doesn't), so an extra second or two in the pocket would be nice...

RedEyE
08-15-2006, 09:30 AM
I would like to see the 1st offense move the ball consistantly. Something that we haven't seen in quite a while. At least 2 decent drives to the red zone is greatly needed.

Other things that I'll be watching:

- OL movement and their ability to dissolve a hard blitz. This one might be a little difficult to see delivered since blitzing doesn't happen all that often this early in preseason. Still, protecting the QB is an obvious necessity - regardless of how mobile the QB might be.

- Pass protection is one thing, but opening holes is entirely different specific the line needs to perfect. In order for McGahee to improve his numbers from last season, the line is going to have to open some holes and hold blocks. If the line can run block better than last season, and McGahee becomes the monster we think he can be, then the passing game becomes a secondary issue as the passing game opens up immensely.

- The Secondary. The Bills DBs will be tested early against Cincy's passing game.

- McCargo. He still needs to show us something.

- WR's. It's time to take note as to which receivers are excelling and which are not up for the task. Reed needs to hang onto the football, plain and simple. There is too much competition surrounding him to make those mental mistakes. The roster will need to be cut down soon and the WRs will be certain to take a hit or two.

ICE74129
08-15-2006, 10:32 AM
In that case, don't expect to win any games because this defense likely won't be good enough to hold a tight game.

and none of that is JP's fault. Holy CRAP! Now fans have to place the blame where it belonged all this time...on the rest of the TEAM not being good enough to make the playoffs. Man JP haters are really going to be pissed.

TacklingDummy
08-15-2006, 11:03 AM
I want him to pass for 200-300 yards per game this year. So I'd like to see a night where Reed actually catches the ball. Everybody forgets that Jim Kelly had receivers that could catch the ball.

HAHAHA, OMG, LMAO. You want to see him pass for 200-300 YPG this year, when's he's NEVER passed for over 200 yards a game. I would like to see him atleast get one 200 yard passing game under his belt.

Ronnie Harmon couldn't catch. Bucky Brooks couldn't catch.

Losman had Evans/Moulds, they could catch. They just had no one to get them the ball consistently.

Owned, Thank you, come again.

Saratoga Slim
08-15-2006, 11:20 AM
I would like to see the 1st offense move the ball consistantly. Something that we haven't seen in quite a while. At least 2 decent drives to the red zone is greatly needed.

- OL movement and their ability to dissolve a hard blitz. This one might be a little difficult to see delivered since blitzing doesn't happen all that often this early in preseason. Still, protecting the QB is an obvious necessity - regardless of how mobile the QB might be.

- Pass protection is one thing, but opening holes is entirely different specific the line needs to perfect. In order for McGahee to improve his numbers from last season, the line is going to have to open some holes and hold blocks. If the line can run block better than last season, and McGahee becomes the monster we think he can be, then the passing game becomes a secondary issue as the passing game opens up immensely.

- The Secondary. The Bills DBs will be tested early against Cincy's passing game.

- WR's. It's time to take note as to which receivers are excelling and which are not up for the task. Reed needs to hang onto the football, plain and simple. There is too much competition surrounding him to make those mental mistakes. The roster will need to be cut down soon and the WRs will be certain to take a hit or two.

Reed needs to hang to the ball, but the other guys need to show us something too. There are still big question marks over Price and Davis' head, Aiken is a beast on special teams but hasn't proven he is a threat at receiver, and Parrish has to demonstrate that he can play in a game like he does at practice. Nance is a rookie that I'm excited about, but he's a rookie.

Nonetheless, I think that we have a perfectly acceptable receiving corps in comparison to most of the teams in this league, and that it all comes back to QB and OL play. I mean, our stable of receivers stacks up pretty well against Tom Brady's from last season, and he managed to move the chains through the air with ease. If the line gives JP time, and if he gets his accuracy in better shape, there's no reason we can't succeed with the receivers that are on the roster now. Big ifs at the moment.

ICE74129
08-15-2006, 11:24 AM
HAHAHA, OMG, LMAO. You want to see him pass for 200-300 YPG this year, when's he's NEVER passed for over 200 yards a game. I would like to see him atleast get one 200 yard passing game under his belt.

Ronnie Harmon couldn't catch. Bucky Brooks couldn't catch.

Losman had Evans/Moulds, they could catch. They just had no one to get them the ball consistently.

Owned, Thank you, come again.

Owned? Isnt' that what kids say? And BTW you Didn't 'own' anyone.

EricStratton
08-15-2006, 11:29 AM

Good call on this Redeye.

Another thing I want to see is the starters on offense show me enough continuity and consistency that they can be the type of team who plays a quarter each in the next two games because they are working together.

I’d hate to go into the final pre-season game with a ton of question marks like we have the last couple years and instead be able to fine-tune like other teams do.

That starts with the 5 (or 6 with the TE) guys up front and the QB.

Philagape
If JP wants to do what Holcoomb did against Cincy last year, then he just needs his receivers to be open enough so they can catch long passes that are in the air about an hour.

djjimkelly
how bout this i want about an equal performance vs cincys first team then what he had last week. so 60% good decision making a scoring drive or 2. not too much to ask.

u people who expect him to go score 20 in 3-4 drives LOL are demented.

djjimkelly
08-15-2006, 11:30 AM
If JP wants to do what Holcoomb did against Cincy last year, then he just needs his receivers to be open enough so they can catch long passes that are in the air about an hour.

or lol he needs to make a 3 yard dump to parrish that roscoe turns into 30 yards LOL

Philagape
08-15-2006, 11:32 AM
The only thing "he hasn't passed for 200 yards yet so he won't average that this year" owns is very little intelligence.

ICE74129
08-15-2006, 11:54 AM
how bout this i want about an equal performance vs cincys first team then what he had last week. so 60% good decision making a scoring drive or 2. not too much to ask.

u people who expect him to go score 20 in 3-4 drives LOL are demented.

Why? he put up 13 in his first 4 drives this last week.

Kerr
08-15-2006, 12:02 PM
and none of that is JP's fault. Holy CRAP! Now fans have to place the blame where it belonged all this time...on the rest of the TEAM not being good enough to make the playoffs. Man JP haters are really going to be pissed.

The defense has no bearing on what jp does with the offense. The offense will need to score points if they want to win games this season. It will be a while before the team regains a top ranked D again that will be able to win close games. Get it through your heard, Coach.

TacklingDummy
08-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Owned? Isnt' that what kids say? And BTW you Didn't 'own' anyone.

When playing with kids, have to act like kids.

TacklingDummy
08-15-2006, 12:22 PM

What if JP puts up 0 points against Cincy and KH puts up 20 Points against Cincys backups. Does that put Holcomb back in the lead on who's starting opening day?