PDA

View Full Version : Troy Vincent at FS or time for a Youth Movement

bigbub2352
08-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Now here is a pressing question, Troy is 35 and is on his last legs, he got hurt in the preseason game, and has missed alot of time with the bills since signing here,
This is not a bust on Troy i think he has had a hell of a career, and played ok with us, but fact of the matter is he is a liability in the run game and the deep passing game, he knows were the ball is gonna be but sometimes is slow in getting over, and remember FS is not his natural position, so i think he is also making almost 3 million on the season
Ko Simpson is hot on the tail of Rashard Baker and both are playing very well in camp, but the fact is even Troy himself said that Ko will be a special player and has all the intangibles to be a pro bowl saftey in an interveiw with John Murphy on RTN 11 Sportsnite a few weeks ago, Plus alot of the bills beat reporters have repeadtly sung his praises
We are in a rebuilding year so i think get the kid some valuable playing time and let Troy go

Any thoughts..

justasportsfan
08-15-2006, 09:18 AM
He has been a class act. In the little that he's done as a bill, I like him more than Moulds as players on the team. He's spending time with the new recruits who are trying to take his job and at one point was even teaching Spikes on the sidelines. Give him a raise and make him a playing coach.

OpIv37
08-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Wow, I can't believe it- I actually agree with Justa again.

I like Vincent's presence here and I'm hoping that as the season goes on, the coaches will have him on the field less and Baker/Simpson on more. He's definitely past his prime physically but he's an incredibly smart player and has a lot to teach the young guys.

Kerr
08-15-2006, 09:27 AM
I hope they bring him back as a coach.

RedEyE
08-15-2006, 09:35 AM
IMO, the defense has a very nice mix of young and old. Vincent might not be the guy he once was, but IMO, he's much better then anything else on the depth chart. His knowledge and experience of the game is greatly needed.

Mahdi
08-15-2006, 09:46 AM
I think you start with Vincent and see how it goes. If he shows his age then go with Ko. Ko can tackle, is great in coverage and makes a lot of plays on the ball, I cant wait to see him start.

RedEyE
08-15-2006, 09:53 AM
I just don't like the idea of using youth at both safety positions. Simpson will get his fair share of opportunities and will more then likely find himself starting next season.

justasportsfan
08-15-2006, 09:59 AM

you're learning :D.

bigbub2352
08-15-2006, 10:23 AM
The only thing i am afraid of is keeping Troy in there even if/when he starts struggling against the deep ball or the run, i again am not against him on the team i guess what i am saying is if Ko can play then he needs to be in there because Ko and Whitner are the future centerfeilders for this DEF

eyedog
08-15-2006, 10:33 AM
I would cut Vincent at the end of camp. By then he would have served his purpose of teaching the kids. Keep Simpson and Baker as your two deep, I surely don't want Baker cut to keep Vincent. Start Simpson and Whitner on day-1.

ICE74129
08-15-2006, 10:33 AM
He has been a class act. In the little that he's done as a bill, I like him more than Moulds as players on the team. He's spending time with the new recruits who are trying to take his job and at one point was even teaching Spikes on the sidelines. Give him a raise and make him a playing coach.

I wouldn't give him a raise. He is making a TON of money. In fact he needs to take a paycut and be a player coach then convert to full coach this offseason.

justasportsfan
08-15-2006, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't give him a raise. He is making a TON of money. In fact he needs to take a paycut and be a player coach then convert to full coach this offseason.
Okay, keep his salary as is. With a very young backfield, his experience and knowledge is valuable to us. You can't keep a player/coach by asking him for a paycutt. But hey, maybe you know a thing or two about being a GM than I do. I only have opinions, You have facts. :D .

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-15-2006, 10:45 AM
I like the idea of putting Simpson in there and keeping Vincent around as a coach type player for our young DB's. If nothing else our new safety tandom will be very exciting to watch this season. We could have something special.

TedMock
08-15-2006, 11:17 AM
I was talking with a friend at work about Troy. My friend is from Philly and he absolutely bleeds Philly sports. The Flyers and Eagles more than anything. Anyway, he said that Troy was always the good ambassador in Philly. Every time a young DB came to town, Troy took him under his wing, and showed him the ropes. You have to give him that. Most elite players (which he once was) don't do that for the young guys who will eventually replace them.

bigbub2352
08-15-2006, 12:34 PM
i agree that he is one of the FEW that actually care about the young guys and handles his business extremely professional, but this is business would we be better with KO back there or Troy?

Jan Reimers
08-15-2006, 12:41 PM
I think we'll see more and more of Simpson at FS as the season progresses. This season will probably be Vincent's last as a player.

ICE74129
08-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Okay, keep his salary as is. With a very young backfield, his experience and knowledge is valuable to us. You can't keep a player/coach by asking him for a paycutt. But hey, maybe you know a thing or two about being a GM than I do. I only have opinions, You have facts. :D .

Agreed and the more you start to accept that fact, the easier things are going to be :bandwagon

That said, vincent was one of the highest paid safetys in the league thanks to TD. You don't pay DB coaches that kind of money. and you don't pay backups/ Coaches that kind of money.

So you cut his pay to about 350K per year or the league minimum(which I think is more) and have him as a players coach.

bigbub2352
08-15-2006, 01:16 PM
ICE i am pretty sure league minimum for someone in the league that long is over a million not positive but something kicks in after 10 years in the league something to do with the players union

HAMMER
08-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Agreed and the more you start to accept that fact, the easier things are going to be :bandwagon

That said, vincent was one of the highest paid safetys in the league thanks to TD. You don't pay DB coaches that kind of money. and you don't pay backups/ Coaches that kind of money.

So you cut his pay to about 350K per year or the league minimum(which I think is more) and have him as a players coach.

I doubt Vincent will ever coach in this league, but that is pure speculation. He is an extremely successfull bidness man. Time to play the youth and let them grow together. I am all for the youth movement, they need to develop chemistry.

justasportsfan
08-15-2006, 02:09 PM

there is no way he stays for league minimun have 2 roles w/ the team. He might as well go to a team that'll still need him to play if there are any takers.

Michael82
08-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Don't discount Rashad Baker. :up:

John Doe
08-15-2006, 04:07 PM
I would cut Vincent at the end of camp. By then he would have served his purpose of teaching the kids. Keep Simpson and Baker as your two deep, I surely don't want Baker cut to keep Vincent. Start Simpson and Whitner on day-1.

Good point here. The problem with keeping Vincent is that you have to cut someone else who might come in handy if Troy gets hurt (a distinct possibility).

Plus, if Simpson beats him out during the season, we are left with a guy that can't contribute on special teams.

raphael120
08-15-2006, 04:08 PM
have to respect one of the few veterans that likes to see the young talent come in and is excited about it and not so damn pessimistic and selfish

Mr. Cynical
08-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Classy, smart but pricey, old and useless as a player. Keep him as player coach? I guess...if that's what he wants. But I won't shed any tears if he is traded or cut.

BidsJr
08-15-2006, 04:29 PM

Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

ICE74129
08-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Facts are facts.

BidsJr
08-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Facts are facts.

Truth is truth (:

justasportsfan
08-15-2006, 05:05 PM
ICe lives in his own world. For someone who couldn't cut it even in division I football, he sure is full of himself. He's cool though. I just treat his posts like any finfan.

Ed
08-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Bring on Baker! No disrespect to Vincent, but I don't see any real benefit in having Vincent start for us. It's not like Baker is a rookie anymore either. This'll be his 3rd season and he's gotten a decent amount of reps in the past couple seasons and really done well for a guy that wasn't even drafted. I'd like to see what he can do as the full time starter and get Ko some playing time too.

We have a lot of young talent in the secondary and the sooner we get them on the field the sooner they can start developing chemistry together. With the guys we have right now, I think we could have the best secondary in the league in a couple years.

TigerJ
08-15-2006, 09:18 PM
I think as the season wears on, the Bills will rotate Ko and maybe Rashad in on a lot of plays. That will keep Troy fresher and give the young guys valuable game experience. I don't know that they would actually replace Vincent as starter. I could see the Bills strongly suggesting to Troy that it is time to retire after the season.

HHURRICANE
08-15-2006, 10:03 PM

I like Vincent's presence here and I'm hoping that as the season goes on, the coaches will have him on the field less and Baker/Simpson on more. He's definitely past his prime physically but he's an incredibly smart player and has a lot to teach the young guys.

Plus he's a players association rep so he's the last guy you want to cut. He'll be sitting on the sidelines alot and he'll be happy to take his 3 million and quietly help.

bigbub2352
08-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Ko had another pick yesterday and some of the media say he looks like he is gonna be a real playmaker, i think rashard is excellent depth very good on ST and also can fill CB if needed at a 5 spot, it will be very interesting what will happen with this situation, those guys are all over the feild

JerseyBoofaloBills
08-16-2006, 02:11 PM
what everyone else is saying. Start Vincent, i like him. but if he shows signs of struggle go with Ko Simpson..Ko Simpson is a great tackler and is pretty quick. he'll do good.