PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's TMQ Bills Preview

gil
08-15-2006, 05:09 PM
This is from ESPN's "Tuesday Morning Quarterback" AFC preview by Gregg Easterbrook - some of it a rehash of what we already know, but I found the part about "Preposterous Punts" a bit interesting - take it for what's it worth (excerpting the Bflo part only):

Last summer TMQ's AFC preview said Bills coaches faced "a vexing choice, whether to sacrifice the season to the education of J.P. Losman" or play veteran Kelly Holcomb and try for the postseason. Instead Buffalo did neither: The Bills started Losman for a while, then Holcomb for a while, then Losman, then Holcomb. The result was a worst-case outcome: Losman did not have his learning year and the Bills did not mount a playoff run. Departed coach Mike Mularkey wasted the 2005 Buffalo season by refusing to make up his mind about who should be under center. Compare to Marvin Lewis, who in 2004 stuck with Carson Palmer during Palmer's learning season, and in 2005 was rewarded with premium quarterbacking. Because 2005 was bungled away, Buffalo again faces the choice it faced last year: keep Losman on the field and let him struggle, or let Holcomb try to gain the team its first playoff appearance of the 21st century.

After winning more games than any NFL team during the 1990s, Buffalo has been one of the league's worst clubs in the new century. Maybe the football gods are simply balancing the books. Quarterback turmoil and poor offensive lines have been themes of the Bills' decline. Since Jim Kelly retired nine years ago, Buffalo has invested in the quarterback position three first-round draft picks, one second-round pick, plus third-, fourth- and fifth-round choices -- and has no clear starter to show for it. Plus, the Bills just passed on drafting Matt Leinart, arguably the most Kelly-like signal caller to leave the collegiate ranks since Kelly last taped his ankles. Yumpin' yiminy.

The Bills also have struggled under novice coaches. Former president Tom Donohue hired two consecutive gents with no pro or college head coaching experience: the tastefully named Gregg Williams, then Mularkey. Both were in over their heads. Now the Bills finally have a taskmaster with substantial head coaching experience, and Dick Jauron is well-regarded.

But there's a comparison that concerns TMQ. As this column has documented, over the last five seasons Williams and Mularkey led the league in Preposterous Punts: punting in opposition territory, even when trailing or facing fourth-and-short. Two of many examples: Trailing New England by 10, Williams ordered the Bills to punt from the Pats' 32 on fourth-and-2; trailing San Diego by 25, Mularkey ordered a punt from the Chargers' 40. Now I review my file on Jauron and find it contains numerous entries regarding him ordering Preposterous Punts. Last year, the Lions were trailing Cincinnati by 17 in the second half, facing fourth-and-1 at midfield: Jauron sent in the punter. From that play on, the Lions were clobbered. Is there one chance in a million Bill Belichick orders a punt on fourth-and-1 at midfield when down by three scores in the second half? Victories don't come in the mail, they must be seized. Buffalo gets its third consecutive coach with a weird tendency to punt the ball away in scoring position, rather than go all-out to win.

Bills note No. 1: One of Marv Levy's opening moves was to give up on tackle Mike Williams, the fourth overall choice in 2002 and among the worst draft busts in NFL history. A reason the Bills have descended toward the cellar is the 2002 draft -- Buffalo had the fourth overall choice plus two second-round selections, yet likely will have no 2006 starter to show for it.

Bills note No. 2: With the trade of Eric Moulds to Houston, there is no one left on the Buffalo roster who played with Kelly. The last link to Buffalo's Golden Age is gone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/060815

shelby
08-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Now the Bills finally have a taskmaster with substantial head coaching experience, and Dick Jauron is well-regarded.

That's positive.....

don137
08-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Bills note No. 2: With the trade of Eric Moulds to Houston, there is no one left on the Buffalo roster who played with Kelly. The last link to Buffalo's Golden Age is gone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/060815

Like what I said in another thread. I think trading Moulds and getting Kyle Williams might go down as a great all time move. Moulds has done nothing the last couple years and when Moulds will be retired in 2-3 years Williams will be entering his prime causing havoc on opposing offensive lines.
The 2006 draft has the makings of one of the best drafts in Bills history.

ublinkwescore
08-15-2006, 07:05 PM
I can't wait to see some experts eating crow.

And Marv GLOATING!!!!

Bill Brasky
08-15-2006, 07:08 PM
After winning more games than any NFL team during the 1990s, Buffalo has been one of the league's worst clubs in the new century. Maybe the football gods are simply balancing the books.

yeah, i'm sure that's the case... obviously these almighty gods didn't take into account the plethora of losing seasons the team endured in the 70's and 80's

Drive 4 Five
08-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Preposterous Punts? Lord help us.

:shakeno:

ParanoidAndroid
08-15-2006, 10:01 PM
When your offense hasn't been able to move the ball all day, sometimes you give up that 4th and short, punt and hope to pin them deep and force a turnover. Notice that there is no mention of actual time on the clock.
These are NFL coaches who probably know what their situation is.

HHURRICANE
08-15-2006, 10:24 PM
When your offense hasn't been able to move the ball all day, sometimes you give up that 4th and short, punt and hope to pin them deep and force a turnover. Notice that there is no mention of actual time on the clock.

I agree the the reporter is probably extrapolating a little too much here. But I remember with MM a couple of times where I why was miffed when he was punting from the 38 yard line only to get touchback. Have i said how much I couldn't stand Mularkey. Just in case you weren't sure.

BillsFever21
08-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Last year, the Lions were trailing Cincinnati by 17 in the second half, facing fourth-and-1 at midfield: Jauron sent in the punter. From that play on, the Lions were clobbered. Is there one chance in a million Bill Belichick orders a punt on fourth-and-1 at midfield when down by three scores in the second half? Victories don't come in the mail, they must be seized. Buffalo gets its third consecutive coach with a weird tendency to punt the ball away in scoring position, rather than go all-out to win.

We are gonna be screwed by Dick.

BillsFever21
08-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Jauron is another loser who plays not to lose. When you play not to lose you will lose.

We have another timid coach with no balls. Just like the way he sugarcoats his comments when a younger guy is getting the starting nod. It's like he doesn't wanna hurt anybody's feelings.

This is football for christ sake. Even the lowest paid players are making more money in one year then the average person makes in 6+ years. God forbid you might hurt their feelings.

Typ0
08-15-2006, 11:38 PM
that 4th and 2 on the 32 punt williams did has got to be at least tied for the worst call of all time. I can't think of anything worse. I remember sitting in the stands watching that thinking to myself "what the hell am I giving my hard earned $$$ to see this crap for?" If I want to see real football I can go to high school games for free. I hope the day will come the Bills are no longer a joke and I hope that day is soon.

Mr. Cynical
08-16-2006, 01:44 AM
Jauron is another loser who plays not to lose. When you play not to lose you will lose.

We have another timid coach with no balls. Just like the way he sugarcoats his comments when a younger guy is getting the starting nod. It's like he doesn't wanna hurt anybody's feelings.

This is football for christ sake. Even the lowest paid players are making more money in one year then the average person makes in 6+ years. God forbid you might hurt their feelings.

Agreed. See sig.

Statman
08-16-2006, 08:43 AM
Good point when your D is as likely to score as your O is. LOL