PDA

View Full Version : If you could change the NFL overtime rules. . .

TigerJ
02-21-2003, 06:18 PM
This was a topic on WGR radio a couple weeks ago. I didn't call in, but if I had, this is what I would have proposed: In the overtime period teams would be limited to three downs instead of four, a la Canadian rules. Field goal attempts would not be permitted on each team's first possession. That would greatly reduce the number of times that the first team that got the ball in overtime scored without the other team getting possession even once. It would force teams to play a more wide open style as well.

What changes would you make? Or would you keep things the same?

colin
02-22-2003, 09:37 AM
Don't change the whole game in overtime!!!!

Don't remove the special teams, in part or in whole, and don't give the ball to anyone at any part of the feild.

If overtime has to change, they should just allow one possesion for each team, and a muffed or dropped kick should be a possesion. That is it.

RDaneel
02-22-2003, 11:57 AM
Guarantee one possesion per team in OT. If neither team scores with their first possession, sudden death rules apply.

Imagine the coaching decisions !!

Kicking off instead of receiving all the time becomes a viable decision (field position, etc.) when you know you're getting the ball at least once.

If on the opponents 15, 4th and 3 yds, first possession of OT--do you kick the FG and hope your defense and special teams hold or do you go for it, trying to put 7 on the board to force the other team to score a TD on their first possession ??

I think the game would be much more exciting with just this one little tweak.

Whatever is done, I really hope they don't go anywhere near NCAA rules. They stink and I hated the championship game this year.

TigerJ
02-22-2003, 04:53 PM
The overtime between Ohio State and Miame didn't even seem like football. I agree the NFL should not adopt NCAA rules.

Shiny Chicken
02-22-2003, 05:36 PM
I still like Tagliabue's original idea... and I now I can't remember what it was... lol

Billz_fan
02-22-2003, 06:16 PM
I say they just keep playing regular football in shortened quarters. Say the OT quarters are 7 minutes 30 seconds.

All the same rules apply game over when the clock runs out. The game becomes a tie when 2 OT quaters have been played at 7 minutes and 30 seconds.

If a team is ahead after the first 7 minute 30 second quarter, they of course win.

2 OT periods would equal 1 extra quarter with the times listed.