PDA

View Full Version : Combine Scuttlebut 12/21

MelK
02-21-2003, 07:06 PM
Chris Brown's NFL Draft View

http://www.nfldraftview.com/

DEFENSIVE ENDS
Terrell Suggs, weighed in at just over 260 pounds, and played most of the year at ASU at 250-255 pounds. The additional weight shouldn't hurt his speed. Terrell will not run at Indy.

Tully Banta-Cain showed surprising strength doing 25 reps at 225lb lift. He weighed in nicely at 265 pounds.

Also Mike Haynes of PSU repped 23 times.

As for Antwan Peek he benched 21 times but weighed in at just over 245, which could cement his fate as an OLB.

Aaron Hunt looked good as well weighing nearly 270 and just under 6-3. He like Cain benched 225lb 25X.

MelK
02-21-2003, 07:06 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From GBN:

(2:00 PM): SC RB Fargas posts 'wow' 40 time at combines...Southern Cal RB Justin Fargas, who earlier this week impressed at the combines when he weighed in at a solid 219 pounds, really threw down the gauntlet to the other top-rated RBs at this year's draft, when he posted a remarkable 4.28 40 time running on the RCA Dome's notoriously slow track earlier today in Indianapolis. Fargas, in fact, had not intended to run until his on-campus workout next month, but changed his mind at the last minute and it could very well payoff in a first round selection at this coming April's draft.

MelK
02-21-2003, 07:08 PM
No QB for Panthers at 2003 draft...Unless Southern Cal QB Carson Palmer, the top-rated QB heading into the 2003 draft, somehow miraculously falls to the 9th pick overall, or the Carolina is able to work a trade to move up to grab the Heisman Trophy winner, the Panthers likely won't be taking a QB with their first pick this year. Carolina offensive co-ordinator Dan Henning, for example, described Palmer as the "real deal", but contends that while there may be as many as a half dozen other 'good' QB prospects, each has a major area of concern. In fact, it appears that the Panthers, who hope to resign Rodney Peete before he becomes a free agent next week, could be yet another team that opts to go with a veteran journeyman at QB next season, while using their #1 pick at the 2003 draft to upgrade at another position. If they don't get a QB, though, the Panthers are almost assuredly going to take a player on offense somewhere, either a WR, RB, or offensive lineman, with their first round pick.

MelK
02-21-2003, 07:08 PM
Players working out at other positions...Gil Brandt of NFL.com reports that several players will be working out at positions other than their nominal position at this week's combines. Iowa State QB Seneca Wallace, for example, is expected to get some reps at WR, while DTs Colin Cole of Iowa and Anthony Adams of Penn State will spend some time with the offensive linemen. Meanwhile, a quartet of smallish DEs including Jerome McDougle of Miami, Dewayne White of Louisville, Chris Kelsay of Nebraska and Terrell Suggs of Arizona State, will work out at LB. Other reports, though, indicate that at least Suggs won't be working out at all.

MelK
02-21-2003, 07:09 PM
From Gil Brandt
www.nfl.com/draft/story/6203139

An exerpt:
"The biggest talk today was Florida quarterback Rex Grossman, who surprised everyone by measuring 6-foot-1. ... A record number of media continue to be on hand in Indianapolis. ... Despite weather problems around the country, every player has shown up for the Combine. ... Forty-one players have come by the media workroom for interviews."

MelK
02-21-2003, 07:11 PM
Price is right — hopefully — for Bills

Of all the franchise and transition tags that have been issued, the one that was given to Bills WR Peerless Price has raised the most eyebrows, since it was widely assumed Buffalo would defer filling the franchise bill in favor of spending that money on badly needed defensive help.

Think again.

“We want him back, and the only way we can still talk with him (about a new deal) is by giving him the tag,” said Bills general manager Tom Donahoe. “He has to fit our framework, though, and we’re hopeful that discussions will be more two-way than one-way. We’ve been very up-front with his agent (Tim McGee). I haven’t talked to Peerless, so I’m not sure of his reaction.”

It turns out Bills head coach Gregg Williams, who followed Donahoe to the podium yesterday morning, spoke to Price earlier in the day. “He knows what’s going on, and he likes playing with the group of guys we have.

“I’m a Peerless Price fan,” Williams added. “Keeping him will enable us to keep expanding our offense, and it helps our defense too. He’s an integral part of our team. When I first got here, people told me Peerless needed to step up and take a load off of Eric Moulds, and he has done that both years I’ve been here. The first year he had a record year, and (he) surpassed it this past year. What’s really impressive about him is how he comes out to compete in every practice. He competes every day to be the best he can be.”

Speaking on the state of the Bills, Donahoe said he was pleased with the team’s considerable improvement with Drew Bledsoe at the helm last season, “but we didn’t have a parade after going 8-8.”

Regarding the team’s financial situation, Donahoe said, “We will probably be around the average this season in terms of dead money. I told (Bills longtime owner) Ralph Wilson that we will have no dead money in 2004, and he said, 'Yeah, but I might be dead in '04.' ”

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/CollegeDraft/Draft+Prospects/Combine/2002/notebook022103.htm

MelK
02-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Mariucci has Freudian slip about Rogers

Former MSU standout could be joining Lions
February 21, 2003

BY CURT SYLVESTER
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

INDIANAPOLIS -- Maybe it was a slip of the tongue. Or maybe Steve Mariucci is convinced the Lions will take Michigan State wide receiver Charles Rogers with the No. 2 pick in the draft.

Mariucci was asked Thursday at the NFL scouting combine about Bobby Williams' evaluation of Rogers. Williams, the Lions' wide receivers coach, was Rogers' head coach most of the time at MSU.

"Well, he recruited him, so obviously he thinks the world of him," Mariucci said. "He's going to be coaching him now. . . . "

Then, without missing a beat, Mariucci caught himself, quickly adding: "If he were to be on our football team, because I asked Bobby to coach the wide receivers."

Although Mariucci didn't intend to announce Rogers as the Lions' first-round pick, the idea of drafting him obviously sets well with him....MORE... (http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/lions21_20030221.htm)

MelK
02-21-2003, 07:20 PM
Justin Griffith MSU's FB had a nice output with 29 reps.

Willis McGahee says he could be ready to play by this year, however I would strongly caution folks to get overexcited. McGahee could do a lot more damage than he could do good by rushing back too early. If I was him, I'd think twice before trying to play in 2003.

Musa Smith weighed in at over 230 pounds! But can he keep the sub 4.5 speed?

TigerJ
02-21-2003, 10:33 PM
Here's a link to Bernies Insiders that has a compilation of measurables thus far at the combine.

http://citadel2.ezboard.com/fbrownsinsiderfrm15.showMessageRange?topicID=11148.topic&start=21&stop=24

Earthquake Enyart
02-22-2003, 09:56 AM
I heard that Grossman wowed em, too. Green Bay is worried that he won't be there when it's their turn in the 1st round.