PDA

View Full Version : EE's Preseason Solution

Earthquake Enyart
08-16-2006, 07:15 AM
Four games is too much. Here's what they should do:

Go to two preseason games. Add two regular season games. Make the first two games interconference (the games that count the least) with expanded rosters, so teams can still use those two weeks for player evaluations.

Bufftp
08-16-2006, 07:21 AM
Not bad

Jan Reimers
08-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Good idea, EE. I'll call my good fried Robert, er... Roger Goodall, er... Roger Goodell.

djjimkelly
08-16-2006, 07:42 AM
im sorry i like the 2 extras games idea but if im a GM coach so on im not treating these games as preseason 2-0 or 0-2 in these games could be difference between playoffs and not. if they would be made reg season teams would approach them as such.

Historian
08-16-2006, 07:45 AM
Please read my post in the other preseason thread.

I think I have it all worked out, lol.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=105871

Bill Brasky
08-16-2006, 08:01 AM
what a ridiculous idea

FinFaninBuffalo
08-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Every season we hear the complaining about the length of preseason. Players complain, the media speculates, talking heads give their analysis.... blah, blah, blah.....

The NFL does not dictate that you must play your starters in the preseason. Any coach that is concerned can simply hold all of the starters out of the first two games. Problem solved. Play the players fighting for roster spots. Use the games to evalutate the players that you wouldn't normally get a good look at.

This is the yearly flap over a non-problem.

Dozerdog
08-16-2006, 06:38 PM

Go to two preseason games. Add two regular season games. Make the first two games interconference (the games that count the least) with expanded rosters, so teams can still use those two weeks for player evaluations.

Problems- if the game counts- the expanded rosters won't ever see the field unless it's 35-0 in the 4th quarter.

My idea is a bit more radical- but follow me here.

Camps open Aug 1 with 1 scrimmage week, 3 preseason weeks.

You have a 16 game season, but you can manage it that each team gets 2 bye weeks. None in the first 3 or last 3 weeks of the eason. Teams playing non- sunday games (MNF, Thursday games, Thanksgiving) will get a bye week just before or just after- eliminating short prep weeks.

Here's the crazy idea. Bring NFL Europe back home- put 8 teams in the USA in cities that don't have the NFL- Columbus, Birmingham, Portland, San Antonio, Hartford, ect.....

Have each NFL division stock one team - I think it would be very interesting to see 10 potential Bills 10 Jets, 10 Pats and 10 Fins fight it out. Use the minor league to develop QBs, black coaches, gives full time NFL referees work all year. Test rules & equipment Solves a lot of issues.

Mudflap1
08-16-2006, 06:56 PM
The preseason will never, ever be shortened (even though it only makes sense from a practical standpoint for fans), and here's why:

The owners get the benefit of receiving the revenue from the preseason games, but do not have to pay the players. Players only get paid during the regular season. It's a home run for the owners, all profit. They will never shorten it, it cuts into their wallets. If it was 18 regular season games and two preseason games, do you think the Players' Union will settle for getting their same pay over 18 games, or are they going to go for 2 games more pay? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

It'll never change.

Jon

YardRat
08-16-2006, 06:58 PM

Bad idea...one of the great drawing cards of the NFL is that every game means something, and overall records ultimately determine division winners, play-off seeding etc. Pre-season and regular season are two distinct entities, and need to remain that way. You can't go after any contest half-assed.

Camps open Aug 1 with 1 scrimmage week, 3 preseason weeks.

Not bad, I could live with that. I'd add a clause that allowed teams with new head coaches to start 1 week earlier, though.

You have a 16 game season, but you can manage it that each team gets 2 bye weeks. None in the first 3 or last 3 weeks of the eason. Teams playing non- sunday games (MNF, Thursday games, Thanksgiving) will get a bye week just before or just after- eliminating short prep weeks.

Good idea. An extra week of NFL action never hurt anyone :D, and I like the attempt to limit short prep weeks.

Bring NFL Europe back home- put 8 teams in the USA in cities that don't have the NFL- Columbus, Birmingham, Portland, San Antonio, Hartford, ect.....

I like this, also. The NFL needs a home-based farm league that doesn't include Notre Dame, USC, or Miami.

Have each NFL division stock one team - I think it would be very interesting to see 10 potential Bills 10 Jets, 10 Pats and 10 Fins fight it out.

Very bad idea. I don't want any of my guys getting buddy-buddy as teammates of a current/future Patriot, Jet, or Dolphin. I would suggest the teams be stocked geographically, not by division.

Use the minor league to develop QBs, black coaches, gives full time NFL referees work all year. Test rules & equipment Solves a lot of issues.

Good idea. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

LtFinFan66
08-16-2006, 07:22 PM

Go to two preseason games. Add two regular season games. Make the first two games interconference (the games that count the least) with expanded rosters, so teams can still use those two weeks for player evaluations.you likely won't like this EE but I actually agree with you:ontome:

Turf
08-16-2006, 08:44 PM
I think the season should start Sept 1, cut the preseason 1 week.
But my OT solutuon is even better. The team must win by 6, or you penalize each OT FG attempt by 10 yards. Yeah I know this isn't about OT, but I had to read your stuff.

Dozerdog
08-16-2006, 08:46 PM
I think the season should start Sept 1, cut the preseason 1 week.
But my OT solutuon is even better. The team must win by 6, or you penalize each OT FG attempt by 10 yards. Yeah I know this isn't about OT, but I had to read your stuff.

Here's the deal- The NFL wants to stretch the Super Bowl into February- that's a sweeps month for TV Ratings and the networks would love it during a heavy TV ratings period. That's why they don't start Labor day weekend anymore.