• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

EE's Preseason Solution

Four games is too much. Here's what they should do:

Go to two preseason games. Add two regular season games. Make the first two games interconference (the games that count the least) with expanded rosters, so teams can still use those two weeks for player evaluations.
  • Bufftp
    Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Re: EE's Preseason Solution

Not bad
    Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
    "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
    Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
    - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
    to be led by permanent ideals -
    that is what keeps a man patient
    when the world ignores him,
    and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Good idea, EE. I'll call my good fried Robert, er... Roger Goodall, er... Roger Goodell.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• djjimkelly
        • Apr 2003

im sorry i like the 2 extras games idea but if im a GM coach so on im not treating these games as preseason 2-0 or 0-2 in these games could be difference between playoffs and not. if they would be made reg season teams would approach them as such.

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

Please read my post in the other preseason thread.

I think I have it all worked out, lol.

with the injury of clinton portis making a tackle during the washington redskins last game, the age old question remains. with many athletes training year round, is the need for preseason still needed (as far as the games go) in my opinion with the bigger named players, if they are really scared of injury keep them out. and

Comment

• Bill Brasky
            Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
            • Jan 2004

what a ridiculous idea

Comment

• FinFaninBuffalo
              Registered Fish
              • Aug 2006

Every season we hear the complaining about the length of preseason. Players complain, the media speculates, talking heads give their analysis.... blah, blah, blah.....

The NFL does not dictate that you must play your starters in the preseason. Any coach that is concerned can simply hold all of the starters out of the first two games. Problem solved. Play the players fighting for roster spots. Use the games to evalutate the players that you wouldn't normally get a good look at.

This is the yearly flap over a non-problem.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

Go to two preseason games. Add two regular season games. Make the first two games interconference (the games that count the least) with expanded rosters, so teams can still use those two weeks for player evaluations.
                Problems- if the game counts- the expanded rosters won't ever see the field unless it's 35-0 in the 4th quarter.

My idea is a bit more radical- but follow me here.

Camps open Aug 1 with 1 scrimmage week, 3 preseason weeks.

You have a 16 game season, but you can manage it that each team gets 2 bye weeks. None in the first 3 or last 3 weeks of the eason. Teams playing non- sunday games (MNF, Thursday games, Thanksgiving) will get a bye week just before or just after- eliminating short prep weeks.

Here's the crazy idea. Bring NFL Europe back home- put 8 teams in the USA in cities that don't have the NFL- Columbus, Birmingham, Portland, San Antonio, Hartford, ect.....

Have each NFL division stock one team - I think it would be very interesting to see 10 potential Bills 10 Jets, 10 Pats and 10 Fins fight it out. Use the minor league to develop QBs, black coaches, gives full time NFL referees work all year. Test rules & equipment Solves a lot of issues.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                  Next Question!
                  • Nov 2004

The preseason will never, ever be shortened (even though it only makes sense from a practical standpoint for fans), and here's why:

The owners get the benefit of receiving the revenue from the preseason games, but do not have to pay the players. Players only get paid during the regular season. It's a home run for the owners, all profit. They will never shorten it, it cuts into their wallets. If it was 18 regular season games and two preseason games, do you think the Players' Union will settle for getting their same pay over 18 games, or are they going to go for 2 games more pay? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

It'll never change.

Jon

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Bad idea...one of the great drawing cards of the NFL is that every game means something, and overall records ultimately determine division winners, play-off seeding etc. Pre-season and regular season are two distinct entities, and need to remain that way. You can't go after any contest half-assed.

Camps open Aug 1 with 1 scrimmage week, 3 preseason weeks.
                    Not bad, I could live with that. I'd add a clause that allowed teams with new head coaches to start 1 week earlier, though.

You have a 16 game season, but you can manage it that each team gets 2 bye weeks. None in the first 3 or last 3 weeks of the eason. Teams playing non- sunday games (MNF, Thursday games, Thanksgiving) will get a bye week just before or just after- eliminating short prep weeks.
                    Good idea. An extra week of NFL action never hurt anyone , and I like the attempt to limit short prep weeks.

Bring NFL Europe back home- put 8 teams in the USA in cities that don't have the NFL- Columbus, Birmingham, Portland, San Antonio, Hartford, ect.....
                    I like this, also. The NFL needs a home-based farm league that doesn't include Notre Dame, USC, or Miami.

Have each NFL division stock one team - I think it would be very interesting to see 10 potential Bills 10 Jets, 10 Pats and 10 Fins fight it out.
                    Very bad idea. I don't want any of my guys getting buddy-buddy as teammates of a current/future Patriot, Jet, or Dolphin. I would suggest the teams be stocked geographically, not by division.

Use the minor league to develop QBs, black coaches, gives full time NFL referees work all year. Test rules & equipment Solves a lot of issues.
                    Good idea.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

you likely won't like this EE but I actually agree with you

Comment

• Turf
                        • Jul 2002

I think the season should start Sept 1, cut the preseason 1 week.
                        But my OT solutuon is even better. The team must win by 6, or you penalize each OT FG attempt by 10 yards. Yeah I know this isn't about OT, but I had to read your stuff.
                        Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Turf
                          I think the season should start Sept 1, cut the preseason 1 week.
                          But my OT solutuon is even better. The team must win by 6, or you penalize each OT FG attempt by 10 yards. Yeah I know this isn't about OT, but I had to read your stuff.
                          Here's the deal- The NFL wants to stretch the Super Bowl into February- that's a sweeps month for TV Ratings and the networks would love it during a heavy TV ratings period. That's why they don't start Labor day weekend anymore.

Comment

Working...
                          X