PDA

View Full Version : What if

Bill Brasky
08-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Everyone knows I am a JP supporter and have been from day 1. Unfortunately, great coaching decisions made last year left JP about as developed as a fresh piece of bacon sitting in an unheated frying pan.

I am fully expecting him to struggle, perhaps flat-out suck for the first leg of the season... but I really feel like he will start to show his promise around games 8-10....

But... if he doesn't, what do you think the course of action is, speaking in terms of next year? Maybe make a run at Matt Schaub from ATL?

OpIv37
08-16-2006, 09:03 AM
This is a scenario that I try not to think about because it's unbelievably scary for the Bills' future. Basically, I think this should be the last year for the great JP experiment- if he doesn't improve significantly, the Bills need to look elsewhere.

Schaub wouldn't be a bad pickup. I'd prefer getting someone with experience via trade/FA, but those are rare, pricey, and rarely become franchise QB's. Most likely we'll have to go to the draft, which I don't like because it means another 2 to 3 years of struggling while the qb develops.

That being said, if JP struggles enough this year to make us believe he's not the QB of the future, the Bills will probably be drafting pretty high- we should find a way to get Brady Quinn.

BlackMetalNinja
08-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Pretty much my take too... let him go free this year. I really do think he'll improve, though I think he'd improve MORE if he had a real line in front of him. However, we really can't spend another 2-3 years waiting either. Schaub would be an affordable option and I think he is a talented QB, wasting his time behind the Michael Vick show (well, except for the inevitable injuries that will allow him to start periodically). However, to me, it honestly doesn't matter who is throwing the ball if they don't have time to find open targets.

Bill Brasky
08-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Pretty much my take too... let him go free this year. I really do think he'll improve, though I think he'd improve MORE if he had a real line in front of him. However, we really can't spend another 2-3 years waiting either. Schaub would be an affordable option and I think he is a talented QB, wasting his time behind the Michael Vick show (well, except for the inevitable injuries that will allow him to start periodically). However, to me, it honestly doesn't matter who is throwing the ball if they don't have time to find open targets.

:bf1:

Iehoshua
08-16-2006, 01:20 PM
Word is Bledsoe's future in Dallas is in doubt. If we can bring the Drewski back, all of our problems would be solved. Drew doesn't need a great o-line, he's got great footwork, and on top of that, pinpoint accuracy. Since Dallas could use some receiving help in light of the T.O. situation, let's send 2 first round picks plus Lee Evans.

Gunzlingr
08-16-2006, 03:35 PM
That would be the steal of the century!!

Bill Brasky
08-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Word is Bledsoe's future in Dallas is in doubt. If we can bring the Drewski back, all of our problems would be solved. Drew doesn't need a great o-line, he's got great footwork, and on top of that, pinpoint accuracy. Since Dallas could use some receiving help in light of the T.O. situation, let's send 2 first round picks plus Lee Evans.

i would pull the trigger in a second... i might even throw in mcgahee in the deal.

JerseyBoofaloBills
08-16-2006, 08:28 PM
wat u guys are crazy 2 first rounders, Lee Evans, Willis McGahee for Drew Bledsoe. We would also have to include Takeo Spikes and Nate Clements..and maybe a second rounder. Then that will be the steal of the century. ;)

Iehoshua
08-16-2006, 09:08 PM
We need to demand GM power! We'll turn this team around!!!
:dance:

Albany,n.y.
08-16-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm so sick of people touting Schaub. Can anyone tell me what he's done that surpasses what Rob Johnson had done when we traded for him in 1998?

Captain gameboy
08-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Schaub is getting the standard second string adulation.
I've posted on him a lot because I saw him his entire college career, and I've said the exact same thing over and over.
He is a Frank Reich clone. Same arm, very bright, no real mobility, same great guy.

I would look elsewhere for talent.
We need to get away from this theory of just getting a guy at that position who doesn't hurt us.

Uncle Jesse
08-16-2006, 10:10 PM
If JP doesnt work out and we can't get Quinn, go after either Troy Smith, Sam Keller, Brian Brohn, or maybe even Chris Leak, depenind on his year this year.

Iehoshua
08-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Let's get Reich back!!

:D

Captain gameboy
08-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Let's get Reich back!!

:D
Looks good to me as well.
But put those guys through a 16 game season and the attitude might change.

We need to find talent at that position.
I think JP could work out well, unless this inaccuracy thing proves to be fatal, and it does seem to come up more than makes me comfortable.

But, Orchard Park needs to cease being a place where QB's go to suck.