PDA

View Full Version : DE

justasportsfan
08-16-2006, 09:44 AM
This is the position I would love to see pick up. IMO , this is our weakest spot on the D especially if McCargo and Kyle live up to expectations.

Schobel is not getting any younger.

Kelsay, if the guy plays like he has since he's been here, he should give Greg Williams a call next year and join Posey and Proileau.

Denney is my sleeper pick for this year. The guy wasn't given much of a chance to do anything. Our coaches this year have high expectations and I've been impressed with him at camp. He did put in quality play in the short time he was in last year.

I wouldn't want to draft one next year and wait for another 2-3 years for him to develop. If none of them step up, we need a proven stud DE via FA. If we are going to spend a lot of $$ on any position other than LT, I think DE is the way to go, IMO.

ICE74129
08-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Shobel is fine. LDE is a severe issue. I feel we still have several backups that are 'competing' for a starting job. LDE must be addressed in FA next year as does LB and maybe CB and TE.

djjimkelly
08-16-2006, 10:13 AM
our main target should be LT in FA next year. we can right a wrong dumbahoe did and sign mount mckinnie who is a FA how much diff would our line be if we draft bryant mckinnie instead of the fat boy

gr8slayer
08-16-2006, 10:15 AM
If Jauron pulls a Mularkey and hurts JP's growth by rotating the QB's every other game we will be looking for a new QB.

FinFaninBuffalo
08-16-2006, 11:42 AM
This is the position I would love to see pick up. IMO , this is our weakest spot on the D especially if McCargo and Kyle live up to expectations.

Schobel is not getting any younger.

Kelsay, if the guy plays like he has since he's been here, he should give Greg Williams a call next year and join Posey and Proileau.

Denney is my sleeper pick for this year. The guy wasn't given much of a chance to do anything. Our coaches this year have high expectations and I've been impressed with him at camp. He did put in quality play in the short time he was in last year.

I wouldn't want to draft one next year and wait for another 2-3 years for him to develop. If none of them step up, we need a proven stud DE via FA. If we are going to spend a lot of $$ on any position other than LT, I think DE is the way to go, IMO.

Schobel is only in his 6th season. He will only be 29 next month. He has plenty of time left. He is a good DE. He was 5th in the league in sacks last season. He had more sacks than Peppers, Ogunleye, Freeney, Stahan, Abraham, and many others. Out of the top 30 sack getters, he was 4th in tackles. That would indicate that he is decent against the run too.

He has always puzzled me. How can a guy get that many sacks but still not be an impact player. My impression of him is that he gets his sacks at the least important times of the game. It seems like he is more likely to get a sack on the first play of the game rather than the sack that seals the victory or that he gets the sacks when the outcome of the game is already determined. I'm sure that is not totally true, but the impression of him seems to be shared since he has never made the probowl.

I really thought Kelsay was going to be a good DE. He hasn't progressed as much as I thought he would.

Denney has disappointed, but maybe the new defensive scheme is what he needed. I don't know why you feel that he wasn't given the chance before.

The strange thing is that if Denney and Kelsay come around, DE becomes a position of strength.

Saratoga Slim
08-16-2006, 11:55 AM
the attacking scheme may help our DEs quite a bit. If they're running full speed toward the backfield on every play, instead of tying up a lineman and waiting to see how the play develops, that may lead to more 'impact' opportunities.

bigbub2352
08-16-2006, 12:48 PM
DE and LT should be main priority in FA next year only if JP pans out or Nall, if that happens if i am not mistaken i do believe that chuck grant from NO is available and also Dwight Freeney, but he has alot of IR issues, i would sign McKinnie but he would not come here because we took slob over him, any suggestions there?