PDA

View Full Version : I read run to start and then mainly pass the rest of the night

ghz in pittsburgh
08-18-2006, 08:54 AM
from Steve Fairchild.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060818/1043805.asp?tbd1043805.asp

This is actually a first time I read someone interviewed Fairchild directly since the training camp started. If what I read is true in that Jauron gave his OCs free rein in the past, then Fairchild is really the one who runs the offensive show here, presumably deciding the QB, too. It won't surprise me a bit that he's enamored with Losman and is the driving force behind handing Losman's starter status sooner rather than later. Remember Fairchild studied Losman extensively when the Rams seriously considered drafting him two years ago and I can't help thinking Fairchild would love Losman's long ball prowess for his offense.

The fact that the Bills never considered drafting a QB and only brought a guy never even cracked the 2nd string in GB leads me to believe that Fairchild thinks he can fix Losman from day 1. We see it in camp: from Losman's talk (being coached hard) and various reports about Fairchild working Losman over his footwork constantly. It only becomes logical then that they want to give Losman as much work as possible because those technical mistakes must be corrected over and over again in game situations before Losman does not have to think about it every time he drops back.

Mitchy moo
08-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Fairchild has been dreaming of JP for years, he is now getting his fantasy to come true. Dick will go it, I think.

HHURRICANE
08-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Fairchild has been dreaming of JP for years, he is now getting his fantasy to come true. Dick will go it, I think.

:limp:

justasportsfan
08-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Let's hope that Fairchild knows how to run the ball effectively. Our last coach who kept preaching "smashmouth" obviously didn't know what the right definition was. He thought it meant getting punched in the mouth .

HHURRICANE
08-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Let's hope that Fairchild knows how to run the ball effectively. Our last coach who kept preaching "smashmouth" obviously didn't know what the right definition was. He thought it meant getting punched in the mouth .

That's awesome. Very funny and correct.

ICE74129
08-18-2006, 10:07 AM

There is no such thing as smashmouth. It doesn't exist in the NFL Anymore. BALANCE is the key. And not only that, we don't have a smashmouth OL even if we wanted to play it.

Fairchild can talk all he wants, but he knows you must PASS the ball to win games. Just wait and see.

justasportsfan
08-18-2006, 10:32 AM
There is no such thing as smashmouth. It doesn't exist in the NFL Anymore. BALANCE is the key. And not only that, we don't have a smashmouth OL even if we wanted to play it.

Fairchild can talk all he wants, but he knows you must PASS the ball to win games. Just wait and see.

Where did I say Fairchild preached smashmouth? I just said I hope he knows how to run the ball effectively. The pass can open up the run and vise versa. I don't have to wait and see.

ICE74129
08-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Where did I say Fairchild preached smashmouth? I just said I hope he knows how to run the ball effectively. The pass can open up the run and vise versa. I don't have to wait and see.

I think the pass has to open up the run in this offense.

gil
08-18-2006, 11:14 AM
I think the pass has to open up the run in this offense.

I think you're right, at least early on - JP has to show that he can beat you before teams stop stacking a whole bunch of guys in the box to either stop willis or blitz the crap out of him...

ghz in pittsburgh
08-18-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm not talking about Fairchild's offensive philosophy; I'm just talking about tonight's game.

He said he wanted to see the team to run well (because I guess the 1st unit hasn't done so last game). That's why I think they'll try to run when McGahee is in there to get that part of the offense tested. McGahee is more established than Losman and you don't want him to take a beating in pre-season game anyway. So when he departs (I guess after the 1st quarter), they'll probably shift to pass extensively to work out JP. The passing game, as Fairchild eluded to, is not where it should be yet.

Remember this is pre-season game. The objective is not to win games or keep a balance (or keep defense off balance). They have specific plays in mind and specific area to work on in game like situations.

TigerJ
08-18-2006, 11:27 AM
NFL games, more than ever before are chess matches. If a team is only effective at one thing offensively, defensive coordinators will focus on taking that away and daring you to do what you can't do. Whether in Steve Fairchild's offence, or someone else's you have to be able to do both, and whether the run sets up the pass or the pass sets up the run is going to depend in part on what the defense is trying to take away. If Cincinnati's defensive coordinator thinks Buffalo will have more trouble passing, he's going to focus on taking the run away, and yes, Losman had better be able to hit his receivers and handle the pressure of guys in his face when Cincinnati stacks the box and leaves receivers one on one. But it could theoretically go the other way too. That said, I think given the air of uncertainty surrounding Buffalo's QB situation will likely cause Cincinnati to focus more on stopping the run. So, Ice is going to look like a genius as Buffalo will have to pass to set up the run.

TigerJ
08-18-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm not talking about Fairchild's offensive philosophy; I'm just talking about tonight's game.

He said he wanted to see the team to run well (because I guess the 1st unit hasn't done so last game). That's why I think they'll try to run when McGahee is in there to get that part of the offense tested. McGahee is more established than Losman and you don't want him to take a beating in pre-season game anyway. So when he departs (I guess after the 1st quarter), they'll probably shift to pass extensively to work out JP. The passing game, as Fairchild eluded to, is not where it should be yet.

Remember this is pre-season game. The objective is not to win games or keep a balance (or keep defense off balance). They have specific plays in mind and specific area to work on in game like situations.

That may be Fairchild's hope and plan, but I'm not sure that Buffalo is good enough to do anyway what the other team is trying to take away. You've really got to have a dominant line to do that, unless the other guys are really weak.

BillsFever21
08-18-2006, 04:29 PM
It's becoming apparent now that JP is who they wanted from the start as long as he didn't beat himself during the competition.

The Bills got rid of all the washed up veterans who thought they could "win now" with Holcomb last season and talked crap to JP.

The Bills brought in the OC from St. Louis which was the team who was set to draft Losman if the Bills didn't move up in front of them. Fairchild already knew Losman and wanted to coach him 2 years ago.

JP is gonna get his chance. Lets just hope he's the QB we all hope he will turn out to be. If not then we have another 3+ years of being average and missing the playoffs.