PDA

View Full Version : Schobel

FlyingDutchman
08-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Anyone who has been to camp or been watching closely, what happened to this guy? Is he doing well? I can honestly say I think we've discussed every player on this site including that camp punter we let go, yet we have not talked about Schobel once. This guy is supposed to be our #1 pass rusher and I havent heard anything positive on him. Maybe I missed something, but anyone whos been to camp, can you tell me if this guy is still alive?

EDS
08-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Schobel is a proven player so preseason isn't the time to evaluate his performance - wait until the bullets start flying for real.

FlyingDutchman
08-18-2006, 04:25 PM
I dunno, ive never been that impressed by him

BillsFever21
08-18-2006, 04:48 PM
I dunno, ive never been that impressed by him

He's had 10+ sacks for 3 straight seasons and has finished in the Top 5 every year during that span too. That's not impressive?

He was the best DE in his draft class that we got in the 2nd round. That was a steal.

FlyingDutchman
08-18-2006, 05:18 PM
There are many DE's who can accidently get 10 sacks in a season. Not saying hes not good, IMO hes no dominant pass rusher who demands respect. I just havent heard as much as a peep about him this preseason. Whats up with that?

EDS
08-18-2006, 05:33 PM
There are many DE's who can accidently get 10 sacks in a season. Not saying hes not good, IMO hes no dominant pass rusher who demands respect. I just havent heard as much as a peep about him this preseason. Whats up with that?

You can "accidently" get 10 sacks in a season when you have Bruce Smith occupying half the offensive line but not when Chris Kelsay or Ryan Denney are being handled by the TE and you are facing constant double teams as the teams lone pass rush threat.

If Schobel only recorded double digit sacks once I may tend to agree with you, but to do it three times on a team with no other pass rush threats suggests it is more then luck.

In any event, the Bills have far more pressing issues then worrying about Schobel in preseason.

FlyingDutchman
08-18-2006, 05:39 PM
You can "accidently" get 10 sacks in a season when you have Bruce Smith occupying half the offensive line but not when Chris Kelsay or Ryan Denney are being handled by the TE and you are facing constant double teams as the teams lone pass rush threat.

If Schobel only recorded double digit sacks once I may tend to agree with you, but to do it three times on a team with no other pass rush threats suggests it is more then luck.

In any event, the Bills have far more pressing issues then worrying about Schobel in preseason.

good point, but one could also attribute his sacks to a constantly blitzing D over the years. Our pass rush sucks in general, I was just curious why ive heard about the whole D line this offseason, but not him.

The Spaz
08-18-2006, 05:51 PM
You're right he blows let's cut him...:shakeno:

BillsFever21
08-19-2006, 03:48 AM

Can you "accidently" get 10+ sacks 3 years in a row.

Schobel is in the Top 5 in sacks over the last 3 years. You don't get that by accident.

bflojohn
08-19-2006, 06:50 AM
This year, he needs help from the DT's who are supposed to be able to shoot gaps! The Bills must be more aggressive with the push up the middle, and that will help Aaron Schobel out as much, if not more than pressure from Denney/ Kelsay!

Mahdi
08-19-2006, 07:38 AM
A lot of Schobel's sacks last yeat were coverage sacks. He is not dominant enough to be considered among the best even if his stats show it. The difference between him and Freeney is that if Freeney doesnt get the sack he almost has which is sometimes enough to disrupt the play. Schobel is too inconsistent.

BillsFever21
08-19-2006, 08:03 AM
A lot of Schobel's sacks last yeat were coverage sacks. He is not dominant enough to be considered among the best even if his stats show it. The difference between him and Freeney is that if Freeney doesnt get the sack he almost has which is sometimes enough to disrupt the play. Schobel is too inconsistent.

How come all these other DE's some of you say are better then Schobel doesn't get all these "coverage sacks"

I mean, Schobel isn't as good as all these other DE's and all of his sacks are "coverage sacks" If these guys were that much better then him then they should be able to get all these coverage sacks too.

Mahdi
08-19-2006, 08:37 AM
How come all these other DE's some of you say are better then Schobel doesn't get all these "coverage sacks"

I mean, Schobel isn't as good as all these other DE's and all of his sacks are "coverage sacks" If these guys were that much better then him then they should be able to get all these coverage sacks too.
The point is that the better DEs are getting to the QB early and even if they dont get early sacks they often get early pressure which is something Schobel doesnt do consistently enough to be considered elite.

FlyingDutchman
08-19-2006, 02:55 PM
You're right he blows let's cut him...:shakeno:

Yeah thats exactly what I was getting at....way to read...

Coach Sal
08-19-2006, 03:45 PM
The new defensive scheme will allow Schobel's sack totals to increase.

But it may also take him out of the play a lot more.

So much is going to depend on the guys in the middle getting penetration.

YardRat
08-19-2006, 03:50 PM
I heard a good comment from Denney the other day, comparing last years defense with the new one.

Last year, the end's were supposed to get to a spot, contain, then rush the passer (which kind of negates anybody getting early pressure). This year, it's pin back your ears and go after the QB.

I expect more sacks from our ends this year, and wouldn't be surprised to see Schobel rack up 15-18.

FlyingDutchman
08-19-2006, 04:47 PM
I sure hope youre right. Hopefully with an improved secondary we'll get a few more coverage sacks.

The Spaz
08-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Yeah thats exactly what I was getting at....way to read...

We have more issues to deal with than a guy who has played consistently since being drafed...understand...?