X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FlyingDutchman
    • Apr 2005

Schobel

Anyone who has been to camp or been watching closely, what happened to this guy? Is he doing well? I can honestly say I think we've discussed every player on this site including that camp punter we let go, yet we have not talked about Schobel once. This guy is supposed to be our #1 pass rusher and I havent heard anything positive on him. Maybe I missed something, but anyone whos been to camp, can you tell me if this guy is still alive?
  • EDS
    • Jan 2003

Re: Schobel

Schobel is a proven player so preseason isn't the time to evaluate his performance - wait until the bullets start flying for real.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
      • Apr 2005

I dunno, ive never been that impressed by him

Comment

• BillsFever21
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by WillisMcNasty21
        I dunno, ive never been that impressed by him
        He's had 10+ sacks for 3 straight seasons and has finished in the Top 5 every year during that span too. That's not impressive?

He was the best DE in his draft class that we got in the 2nd round. That was a steal.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
          • Apr 2005

There are many DE's who can accidently get 10 sacks in a season. Not saying hes not good, IMO hes no dominant pass rusher who demands respect. I just havent heard as much as a peep about him this preseason. Whats up with that?

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

There are many DE's who can accidently get 10 sacks in a season. Not saying hes not good, IMO hes no dominant pass rusher who demands respect. I just havent heard as much as a peep about him this preseason. Whats up with that?
            You can "accidently" get 10 sacks in a season when you have Bruce Smith occupying half the offensive line but not when Chris Kelsay or Ryan Denney are being handled by the TE and you are facing constant double teams as the teams lone pass rush threat.

If Schobel only recorded double digit sacks once I may tend to agree with you, but to do it three times on a team with no other pass rush threats suggests it is more then luck.

In any event, the Bills have far more pressing issues then worrying about Schobel in preseason.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by EDS
              You can "accidently" get 10 sacks in a season when you have Bruce Smith occupying half the offensive line but not when Chris Kelsay or Ryan Denney are being handled by the TE and you are facing constant double teams as the teams lone pass rush threat.

If Schobel only recorded double digit sacks once I may tend to agree with you, but to do it three times on a team with no other pass rush threats suggests it is more then luck.

In any event, the Bills have far more pressing issues then worrying about Schobel in preseason.
              good point, but one could also attribute his sacks to a constantly blitzing D over the years. Our pass rush sucks in general, I was just curious why ive heard about the whole D line this offseason, but not him.

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

You're right he blows let's cut him...

Comment

• BillsFever21
                  • Aug 2004

Can you "accidently" get 10+ sacks 3 years in a row.

Schobel is in the Top 5 in sacks over the last 3 years. You don't get that by accident.

Comment

• bflojohn
                    • Aug 2005

This year, he needs help from the DT's who are supposed to be able to shoot gaps! The Bills must be more aggressive with the push up the middle, and that will help Aaron Schobel out as much, if not more than pressure from Denney/ Kelsay!

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

A lot of Schobel's sacks last yeat were coverage sacks. He is not dominant enough to be considered among the best even if his stats show it. The difference between him and Freeney is that if Freeney doesnt get the sack he almost has which is sometimes enough to disrupt the play. Schobel is too inconsistent.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mahdi
                        A lot of Schobel's sacks last yeat were coverage sacks. He is not dominant enough to be considered among the best even if his stats show it. The difference between him and Freeney is that if Freeney doesnt get the sack he almost has which is sometimes enough to disrupt the play. Schobel is too inconsistent.
                        How come all these other DE's some of you say are better then Schobel doesn't get all these "coverage sacks"

I mean, Schobel isn't as good as all these other DE's and all of his sacks are "coverage sacks" If these guys were that much better then him then they should be able to get all these coverage sacks too.

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by BillsFever21
                          How come all these other DE's some of you say are better then Schobel doesn't get all these "coverage sacks"

I mean, Schobel isn't as good as all these other DE's and all of his sacks are "coverage sacks" If these guys were that much better then him then they should be able to get all these coverage sacks too.
                          The point is that the better DEs are getting to the QB early and even if they dont get early sacks they often get early pressure which is something Schobel doesnt do consistently enough to be considered elite.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by The Spaz
                            You're right he blows let's cut him...
                            Yeah thats exactly what I was getting at....way to read...

Comment

• Coach Sal
                              • Aug 2006

The new defensive scheme will allow Schobel's sack totals to increase.

But it may also take him out of the play a lot more.

So much is going to depend on the guys in the middle getting penetration.
                              Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
                              And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

Working...
                              X