PDA

View Full Version : Game Analysis (offense)....

RedEyE
08-19-2006, 09:15 AM
I'll get another look at it Saturday, but here's what I saw tonight:

Losman:

This kid continues to show signs of greatness. I really don't believe that they will have to work on timing between Evans and Losman the rest of their career. The connection between those two is one that just cannot be taught. Like Manning and Harrison, or Montana and Rice, if we look back in history at the start of their careers, we would then find that same uncanny connection in Losman and Evans. Granted there is much work to be done, and so much to improve, but it still so blatently obvious that these two have a sixth sense of one another.

Unfortunately, Losman is still struggling to find that sixth sense or that second nature connection with his footwork. It's obviously plaguing him as he continues to over-think his movements rather then applying in a simple fluid motion. This is the contributing factor leading to his inconsitantcy. The good thing is that it can be fixed with repetition and a lot of hard work. I hope they drill it into him this week.

He had it all in place through the first 3 drives of the 1st quarter, going 4-4. Only to lose it again in the final two drives of the same quarter. He ended the 1st qrtr with 3 straight incompletions at 4-7. Still, he made a key 10 yard contributing play to Parrish, throwing the Bengals defense off balance in the drive that McGahee broke a 61 yard sprint.

The interception was a miscommunication error by Losman (admittingly so). Reed went one way and Losman threw another. While the INT went the other way for 7 pts, this is again a mistake that can be easily rectified. Although it regretablly adds nothing to Reed's case in making the team as he finished the day with ZERO receptions.

Offensvie Line:

The OL is going through some trials and tribulations of its own. On some plays they looks as if they've been aligned side-by-side, sequenced in battle, 5+ years. On other plays they assume the position of swinging saloon doors.

Regardless, I think this might be the best OL i've seen with the Bills in quite some time. While they are currently far from perfect, they seem to be getting it together and ironing out the right kinks. Gandy looked especially good at left tackle. The hole he opened for Willis on that 61 yard dash was worthy of noting.

Run blocking seemed their specialty of the night, while the pass blocking should see much more attention this week in practice. The starting OL is only getting a taste right now of finding ways of picking up the blitz. If they are struggling with that now, later the struggle will become even more of an uphill battle. I'll be looking forward to next weeks game to see if corrections have been made. Both Carolina and Cincy have exposed that work in progress.

If the line can continue to open holes for Willis and company through the regular season, however, the passing game will also eventually improve.

Lee Evans:

This kid has got IT, but his numbers will clearly hinge on Losman's ability. Holcomb just doesn't have the arm strength to get the ball to Evans downfield. And Losman has to really focus on erasing the rookie mistakes he's exposed through the first two preseason games. If strides are made at QB, then Evans might quite easily reel in 1300 yards this season.

McGahee:

Finally? Do we finally have a break out back with break away speed? It certainly looks as if things might be headed in that direction. Had Willis not have fallen ill, he might have posted 160 yards in the first half of this football game. Only time will tell...but I can't help but smirk at the possibilities.

Gates vs Thomas:

This is shaping up to be an interesting battle for second back. Gates is clearly more versitle in the short passing game and has no where to go but up. We may have already seen the best of A-train. I'll be watching this duo next week as well. And Shaud Williams hasn't thrown in the towel yet either.

Holcomb vs Nall:

Nall lead the only true offensive drive of the night. Granted it was against a piece meal defense, but it made for hearty evidance in his case for 2nd string. Holcomb looked as F L A T as it was reported he practiced this week. I wonder if having pulled him early last week against Carolina, Juaron hasn't somewhat helped destroy his one hope of starting. I'm not criticizing what Juaraon has done, I'm simply wondering if we are seeing Holcomb's reactionary response to overcoming adversity. If Holcomb continues to practice as poorly this week, don't be suprised to see Nall getting the second set of snaps against the Browns next Saturday.

First Offense:

Overall, some things have improved while others need vast improvements. This is a young team that seems to be headed in the right direction. It's obvious to me now that there will be some strenous times ahead. Through two preseason games, I still have yet to see this team put together just one solid drive. The mistakes are all still piling up a little too much to shake that monkey off their back. I would have been happy if they had managed a drive 70 plus yards into the red zone without a score. That would at least have shown me a team that can manage a game and control momentum. What I've seen so far is an inexperienced team that can chisel inconsistantly and explode without notice. That's not enough to win football games, but having players like Evans and McGahee on offense that can "go off" at any given moment is something that we haven't seen in Buffalo in a long time. Administering the rest of the ingrediants necessary to make this team a viable contender rests on the shoulders of the coaching staff.

The last buffalo fan
08-19-2006, 11:57 AM
:bf1:.................Lets' go Bills, let's go BUFFALO!!!!!! :dance:

shelby
08-19-2006, 12:26 PM
:goodpost: BAMF, thanks!

ParanoidAndroid
08-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Let's also give some props to Gandy for throwing the key block that sprung Willis on the TD run.

feelthepain
08-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Greatness??????

Night Train
08-19-2006, 06:02 PM
That's very fair, RedEye. Having attended the game, your observations are dead on. :bf1:

billsburgh
08-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Let's also give some props to Gandy for throwing the key block that sprung Willis on the TD run.
but, but we still need a left tackle.

Michael82
08-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Agreed! That was a SWEET block by Gandy. :clap: