PDA

View Full Version : If Craig Nall wins the starting job....

OpIv37
08-19-2006, 04:21 PM
... so be it. I honestly thought that he was brought here to be 3rd string despite the public statements of Levy and Jauron, but if he earns the job, I won't be complaining (for once).

I like Losman and I want to see him succeed, but it's more important that this franchise gets back on track and starts winning. Think about it: the reason most of us want JP to start is because he COULD be a franchise QB whereas Holcomb is DEFINITELY NOT a franchise QB. Nall is only a year or two older than JP and he's seen limited duty, so it's not like he's taken a pounding over the last few years. There's also a possibility that he COULD be a starting QB (not much of one, but if he earns the starting job he deserves the chance to prove himself). He has the same upsides as JP, just less game experience and not as much mobility.

If Nall proves to be better than JP, it means that JP was yet another collosal mistake by Tom Donahoe, but that's not important- the important thing is getting the best player on the field. I'm still pulling for JP, but if he's not the best, so be it- Nall could be a long-term QB option as well, which is what this franchise desperately needs.

shelby
08-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Just win baby!

:goodpost:

YardRat
08-19-2006, 04:28 PM
the important thing is getting the best player on the field

Some have been banging that drum for a long time.

ICE74129
08-19-2006, 08:01 PM
... so be it. I honestly thought that he was brought here to be 3rd string despite the public statements of Levy and Jauron, but if he earns the job, I won't be complaining (for once).

I like Losman and I want to see him succeed, but it's more important that this franchise gets back on track and starts winning. Think about it: the reason most of us want JP to start is because he COULD be a franchise QB whereas Holcomb is DEFINITELY NOT a franchise QB. Nall is only a year or two older than JP and he's seen limited duty, so it's not like he's taken a pounding over the last few years. There's also a possibility that he COULD be a starting QB (not much of one, but if he earns the starting job he deserves the chance to prove himself). He has the same upsides as JP, just less game experience and not as much mobility.

If Nall proves to be better than JP, it means that JP was yet another collosal mistake by Tom Donahoe, but that's not important- the important thing is getting the best player on the field. I'm still pulling for JP, but if he's not the best, so be it- Nall could be a long-term QB option as well, which is what this franchise desperately needs.

Nall isnt better than JP and wasn't from the first day of offseason training. DJ knows this. Its JP's job, name him the starter and cut the crap

Goobylal
08-19-2006, 08:06 PM
The best player SHOULD be playing, regardless of draft status, salary, etc. The unfortunate thing for Nall is, if he IS the better player, he missed too much valuable practice/playing time those 2+ weeks and that set him back a lot. His 2 TD performance an 18 yard drive and against a prevent defense don't say to me that he should be the front-runner and the Bills can ill-afford to keep jerking JP around by NOT naming him the starter already.

And if Nall is the better QB and JP continues to make mistakes, Nall will get his chance sooner rather than later.

YardRat
08-19-2006, 08:09 PM
JP did nobody any favors with his performance against Cinci. If he could've gotten out of that game with just one turnover, even, nobody would question Losman being named the starter this week.

After 3 TO's...it's questionable. If he repeats against Cleveland and still gets named the starter, the team is going to know for sure that the competition was rigged in JP's favor, and it won't be any different than last year when he was handed the job outright.

It's in Losman's hands...all he has to do is not 'F' it up, like he did last year. If he can't handle that, he certainly doesn't deserve to be leading an offense on the field.

Kerr
08-19-2006, 08:09 PM
nall is not better than jp.

TacklingDummy
08-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Nall deserves a chance to work with the 1st string this week against Cleveland. Holcomb got his chance against Carolina, JP did against Cincy, now its Nall's turn against Cleve. And whoever has played the best gets to start against Detroit and prepare for opening day against NE.

Goobylal
08-19-2006, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say that Nall deserves a chance to start. He went against 3rd and 4th stringers and led an 18 yard scoring drive and a long TD drive against future fast food workers who were playing prevent. At best, Nall deserves backup snaps and MAYBE a little action in the 2nd half of the 2nd quarter.

HHURRICANE
08-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Nall deserves a chance to work with the 1st string this week against Cleveland. Holcomb got his chance against Carolina, JP did against Cincy, now its Nall's turn against Cleve. And whoever has played the best gets to start against Detroit and prepare for opening day against NE.

Man this might be your most ridiculous post. What is this 3rd grade. "Evereybody gets a chance". Nall missed 2 weeks with an injury. At some point this team needs to be cementing it's O for the season. It's JP's team get used to it!!

raphael120
08-19-2006, 08:49 PM
DJ did say that preferrably he'd want to name the starter after 2 preseason games and have that QB play the whole rest of the preseason, but they'll have to figure that one out. I think it's getting entirely TOO late to be bringing on this competition too much longer. hopefully DJ sees that it took converting 2 4th downs (which they would never do in real games). if it wasnt for those converted 4ths, he wouldnt have done jack squat. i think JP's the man, Nall the back up.

TacklingDummy
08-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Man this might be your most ridiculous post. What is this 3rd grade. "Evereybody gets a chance".

DJ is the one who said the starting job is open to competition. Why stop the competition now? What's the matter, afraid Nall might look better then JP? Then we can hear how Nall is a locker room cancer and should be cut.

ibatiger
08-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Nall isnt better than JP and wasn't from the first day of offseason training. DJ knows this. Its JP's job, name him the starter and cut the crap

I don't know who will be the starter this year, but I assure you that Nall is a better QB than Losman. I know he's missed a lot of reps, but in the end we'll be a better team if he could be worked into the starting role.

ICE74129
08-19-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't know who will be the starter this year, but I assure you that Nall is a better QB than Losman. I know he's missed a lot of reps, but in the end we'll be a better team if he could be worked into the starting role.

And I assure you he isn't.

ICE74129
08-19-2006, 09:16 PM
DJ is the one who said the starting job is open to competition. Why stop the competition now? What's the matter, afraid Nall might look better then JP? Then we can hear how Nall is a locker room cancer and should be cut.

Becuse JP has won it already. Do we need to post links to other teams message boards for you? Its apperant you can't handle JP being the starter so maybe you need to go somewhere else...for about the next 10 years as JP QB's this team

ross janis
08-19-2006, 09:25 PM
Craig Nall is the one that going win games .
And thats the it going to be

ross janis
08-19-2006, 09:33 PM
And thats the way it going to BE.

Goobylal
08-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Nall hasn't done jack in his NFL career. He was undrafted, played in NFLE, and the Packers drafted a QB and let him leave even though said 1st round QB looked bad and Favre was all but retired.

Nall has a LOT more to prove than even JP. And too bad for him he missed too much time and won't have the time TO prove it.

ross janis
08-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Wene the bills step up and give craig a shout .The rast of the day is rolling
fireing scoreing fighting .Nall will take the game by horns to win

ross janis
08-19-2006, 09:47 PM
True

Claymoresfan
08-20-2006, 04:52 AM
Nall hasn't done jack in his NFL career. He was undrafted, played in NFLE, and the Packers drafted a QB and let him leave even though said 1st round QB looked bad and Favre was all but retired.
And too bad for him he missed too much time and won't have the time TO prove it.

It is too bad that he missed time and won't get the time to prove it.

But don't knock him for the rest. He had better stats in NFLE than Delhomme or Warner who have both been to Super Bowl. The backup before Nall in Green Bay was Matt Hasselback... yeah, he's not bad either - who is to say that Nall doesn't just need a chance?

GB drafted Rodgers because he fell to them - and they weren't going to cut him loose regardless of whether Nall turned out to be the second coming for all those nasty first round cap questions that turn out. Nall could have still be in Green Bay - he asked to leave in order to get the chance to start.

Like you said, I think it's too late now because of his injury holding him back. JP will start and we'll see if he makes better game decisions when the snaps actually count. Nall's always been one of those who has more game smarts than practice field smarts which isn't good if you can't get yourself on the darned field!

I'll admit I'm only here because we got to know Craig when he was in Scotland but I do have a soft spot for the Bills (after a great game-day experience and a dislike of all the other teams in the AFC East) and would like to see them do well - regardless of who is QB.

YardRat
08-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Patience, Claymore...the question isn't if Nall will see the field, it's when.

djjimkelly
08-20-2006, 08:47 AM

learn to deal with the fact DJ lied its been JP all along

BillsFever21
08-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Craig nall threw for 70 yards against some future Burger King managers and crack dealers and now we see threads like this?

One of his drives was like 20 yards. Big deal.

TO's happen in the NFL. JP had a couple fumbles in a preseason game and now it's the end of the world. Last year he didn't have many TO's. About the same as most other QB's last season.

Yet Holcomb lead the league in fumbles last year in 8 games and his lovers don't wanna talk about that.

JP is gonna be the QB. If you can't handle it then go find another team. Either that or wait a year or two and you can follow Holcomb and Nall to their next backup jobs in the NFL.

BillsFever21
08-20-2006, 09:41 AM
It is too bad that he missed time and won't get the time to prove it.

But don't knock him for the rest. He had better stats in NFLE than Delhomme or Warner who have both been to Super Bowl. The backup before Nall in Green Bay was Matt Hasselback... yeah, he's not bad either - who is to say that Nall doesn't just need a chance?

GB drafted Rodgers because he fell to them - and they weren't going to cut him loose regardless of whether Nall turned out to be the second coming for all those nasty first round cap questions that turn out. Nall could have still be in Green Bay - he asked to leave in order to get the chance to start.

Like you said, I think it's too late now because of his injury holding him back. JP will start and we'll see if he makes better game decisions when the snaps actually count. Nall's always been one of those who has more game smarts than practice field smarts which isn't good if you can't get yourself on the darned field!

I'll admit I'm only here because we got to know Craig when he was in Scotland but I do have a soft spot for the Bills (after a great game-day experience and a dislike of all the other teams in the AFC East) and would like to see them do well - regardless of who is QB.

Green Bay had him for years to determine what kind of a player he was. They thought so highly of him they spent a 1st round draft pick on Rodgers.

The guy is a backup. Give it a rest.

Kerr
08-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Green Bay had him for years to determine what kind of a player he was. They thought so highly of him they spent a 1st round draft pick on Rodgers.

The guy is a backup. Give it a rest.

Nall stinks. Rodgers fell to GB, but had they any confidence in nall as their qb for the future, they would have passed on rodgers, period.

TigerJ
08-20-2006, 11:51 AM
I still think with some of the others that Losman is the better QB of the two (Losman and Nall). However, I'm far less bothered by the notion of Nall starting than Holcomb. I'm fully convinced Holcomb is washed up and the Bills are consigning themselves to mediocrity if Holcomb starts.

YardRat
08-20-2006, 11:58 AM
I'll pass on ruling that JP is a better QB than Nall at this point, just because I haven't seen too much of Nall during games.

JP will be the starter though, unless he turns the ball over three times against Cleveland and Nall plays very effectively.

Risin
08-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Nall stinks. Rodgers fell to GB, but had they any confidence in nall as their qb for the future, they would have passed on rodgers, period.

Nall doesn't stink.

I don't know if people remember, but we traded up to get JP, because Green Bay was going to take him, WHILE NALL was on the roster.

Following year they pick Rogers, even after Nall put up killer numbers in garbage time.

I'm sorry, but if Nall was such a stud, why would Green Bay look at first round QB's in back-to-back years?

Wouldn't they already think Favre's replacement was on the roster?