PDA

View Full Version : FoxSports Special Teams Rankings

!Papacrunk!
08-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Hopefully there will be a switch of #1 and #2 after this season, but the Bills deserve the #1 spot, as much as I hate to admit it, lol:

1. Buffalo Bills: Special teams coach Bobby April survived Buffalo's regime change for good reason. April's coverage units and blocking units, led by Josh Stamer and Sam Aiken, rarely allow a big play, and they make good return men like Terrence McGee, Roscoe Parrish, and Jonathan Smith look great. Brian Moorman led the NFL with 45.7 gross yards per punt and is a fine directional punter. Kicker Ryan Lindell is adequate on field goals and kickoffs. Special teams may be highly variable from year to year, but Buffalo topped our ratings in both 2004 and 2005.
2. Miami Dolphins: The Dolphins consistently finish in the top 10 in special teams DVOA, thanks largely to mistake-free coverage teams. The punt coverage team allowed just 4.9 yards per return (third best in the NFL), and helped Donnie Jones to lead the league with 39.3 net yards per punt. Olindo Mare bounced back from an injury-marred 2004 season to convert 83.3 percent of his field goals, 7-of-8 from beyond 40 yards, while booming 16 touchbacks on kickoffs. Return man Wes Welker is nothing special, though he doubles as an emergency kicker. Rookies Devin Aromashodu and Marcus Vick will challenge Welker. Vick has received an extensive tryout as a kick returner in camp.

FOXSPORTS/SPECIALTEAMS RANKINGS,TEAM BY TEAM (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5862990?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5)

In regards to their "DVOA" click this link for their explanation of what goes into that "DVDA, I mean "DVOA (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst2005.php)" for the info

LtFinFan66
08-19-2006, 10:45 PM
:up:

shelby
08-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Moorman is simply amazing.:up:

Devin
08-19-2006, 10:47 PM
McGee is my jersey for this season!

Goobylal
08-19-2006, 10:59 PM
I think the loss of Tebucky Jones as a gunner will hurt the Dols. And while he signed with the Pats, he's apparently out indefinitely with a hand injury.

!Papacrunk!
08-19-2006, 11:07 PM
I think the loss of Tebucky Jones as a gunner will hurt the Dols. And while he signed with the Pats, he's apparently out indefinitely with a hand injury.
Tebucky went on IR after week 7 and I don't believe he even started week 6 against the Chiefs, and I'd have to doublecheck how much he actually played on ST to begin with.