PDA

View Full Version : We Need A Pass Rush Fast!

bigbub2352
08-21-2006, 10:29 AM
One thing that has become alarming is our pass rush, I Dont care how Denney has been playing as of late, he will not provide a consistent pass rush, neither will Powell, Hall, or Neil, they all look awful, Schobel is good but teams know that and leave the RB on his side to help, Chris kelsay is a definite bust, we need to address this via FA hope that a vet or a young guy gets cut with some kinda of speed, i would settle for a guy that would give us 5-6 sacks, and not get blown off the ball like i have seen from these bums, Denney is not the answer, Kelsay is not the answer, Hall is not the answer, Powell is not the answer, Neil is not the answer,

Bring back Chidi Ahonatu for Christ's sake

justasportsfan
08-21-2006, 10:33 AM
I did see the DL collapse the pocket a few times but didn't get to the qb as I hoped though. Always a split second late :ill:

Big question is, where we throwing vanilla D's ? If we were actually gameplaning like it was regular season and it is a sign of things to come, we could be in trouble. So far, our D looks improved over what we had last year but that isn't saying much.

Kerr
08-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I expect our top pick next season, barring a qb setback, will be a DE.

OpIv37
08-21-2006, 10:37 AM
I did see the DL collapse the pocket a few times but didn't get to the qb as I hoped though. Always a split second late :ill:

I noticed the same thing in the Carolina game- the DL wasn't exactly getting blown off the ball, but they were always a half step away from making a play.

On a related note, how did Kyle Williams look against Cincy? He was impressive against Carolina.

justasportsfan
08-21-2006, 10:39 AM
On a related note, how did Kyle Williams look against Cincy? He was impressive against Carolina. he supposedly was solid. Im not sure if he was part of the DL that made the bengals settle for field goals in the redzone. :idunno:

ParanoidAndroid
08-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Even Schobel's sacks are mostly those of the coverage variety. We haven't been able to get to the QB with any speed since Bruce left.
I think we will be getting a DE (and a LB) early in next year's draft.

Night Train
08-21-2006, 10:42 AM
That was my primary concern after attending the game Friday...the obvious lack of a pass rush. Plus the DL weren't getting their hands up when the QB threw the ball.

With Brady looking sharp in the pre-season, my concern is he will tear us to ribbons with short to medium range passes to the TE's.

This is going to take time, I suppose. A new D scheme and getting the right players to make it succeed.

On the bright side, the run D did look improved.

Kerr
08-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Kyle Williams only had 1 tackle.

On a vanilla defense, Justin Smith had 2 sacks and a forced fumble on pure strength, speed and quickness. That's good news for the bengals defense.

justasportsfan
08-21-2006, 10:46 AM
I think we will be getting a DE (and a LB) early in next year's draft.

I hope so. Fletch has been reliable. He just isn't dominating though. Same goes w/ Schobel.

bigbub2352
08-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Problem is Schobel gets his sacks when they arent to game changing, he get 4 sacks in one game then nothing for two games then 2 then nothing for two games the n 2, Kelsay and denney are awful and so are the backups, Kyle played strong he was in the backfeild a few times causeing a disruption, we better hope that out best rush isnt up the middle

ShadowHawk7
08-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Indeed. If JP steps it up this year, I'm seeing DE, OG, LB, WR in next years draft in that order.

ParanoidAndroid
08-21-2006, 02:01 PM
I hope so. Fletch has been reliable. He just isn't dominating though. Same goes w/ Schobel.

Agreed on Fletch....super reliable and a tackling machine, but I expect him to wear down fast the next season or 2. Nagging injuries will be forthcoming.

There is a pretty good draft class for DE coming next spring.

NorthCarBills
08-21-2006, 02:10 PM
What can anyone tell me about Powell? I dont know much about him, but I see he's second on the depth chart. I watched him at the Carolina game and he seemed to play with an intense nasty streak. Was curious if anyone has tracked him more closely. I really dont know much about the guy.

justasportsfan
08-21-2006, 02:27 PM
There is a pretty good draft class for DE coming next spring.
I'd rather get a stud FA than get one via the draft or maybe both. It'll take a few years before a drafted player will be doing anything special unless they're are Peppers or Freeney.

bigbub2352
08-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Powell is a journeyman FA, cut by a few teams i believe he is in his second year and hasnt done anything in the NFL, i think a stud DE would be great for our D via FA, Dwight Freeney, and Chuck Grant will be FA

The last buffalo fan
08-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Powell is a journeyman FA, cut by a few teams i believe he is in his second year and hasnt done anything in the NFL, i think a stud DE would be great for our D via FA, Dwight Freeney, and Chuck Grant will be FA

Too expensive.

Regards,

Ralph Wilson Jr.