PDA

View Full Version : 7 total Olinemen to be kept

mysticsoto
08-22-2006, 08:50 AM
According to Jauron, they will only keep 7 Olinemen on the roster. So who do you think it will be. I think it has to be:

LT - Gandy
LG - Reyes
C - Fowler
RG - Villarial
RT - Peters

Backups: Duke Preston, Aaron Gibson

So everyone else will be cut except for the rookies: Butler, Pennington and Merz of which maybe 2 will make the PS - or would you put all 3?

I guess there is not that many that would otherwise fill our PS squad - so maybe all 3 would be fine. Other candidates might be: Chris Denney (WR), Martin Nance (WR) <- Personally I think that would be a mistake..., Ryan Neill (DE), Jason Hall (DE). I think Brad Cieslak might still qualify to go back to the PS since he didn't play for more than 9 games last season.

Any developments of these candidates would be extremely helpful next year as we are soft in many of these areas (especially DE).

Dr. Lecter
08-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Where did you hear this?

I can't see only 7 on the roster; that is really thin.
Are you sure he was not referring to the gameday roster and not the 53 man roster? If they cut Butler they very well might lose him and he is not ready to be a back-up.

Goobylal
08-22-2006, 09:11 AM
No, that's not what was meant. There will be 7 OL activated on gameday. Which is a departure from last year where they had 8 activated but usually only 7 played in the game, while one was inactive. I wonder if that means however that they'll keep 1 less OL, for a total of 8?

mysticsoto
08-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Where did you hear this?

I can't se eonly 7 on the roster; that is really thin.
Are you sure he was not referring to the gameday roster and not the 53 man roster? If they cut Butler they very well might lose him and he is not ready to be a back-up.

You might be right. Now that I think about it, I think he said keeping 7 "active".

Okay, so which would you keep on the 53 man roster vs the PS then? Frankly, I don't think any of the 3 rookies is ready for the team yet. Keeping Preston and Gibson gives us some versatility since both are being groomed to play multiple positions. Who else? Geisinger? I haven't seen any real improvement from him over last year and he was terrible last year. McFarland? He's improved a bit, but he still gets schooled too much. Don't know if he might improve with more game time.

Who would you keep?

Dr. Lecter
08-22-2006, 09:25 AM
I would keep Butler on the main roster but inactive. He could be scooped up if he is cut. McFarland is OK, he might be OK on the main roster if they keep 9.

Put Pennington and Merz on the PS.

gil
08-22-2006, 09:30 AM
here is the actual Jauron quote from bb.com:

Jauron sees Preston as a valuable piece to his offensive line puzzle. He needed to see if Preston could capably handle guard first, but had planned all along to get the second-year player reps at his more natural position of center.

"He can't just be a guard for us," said Jauron. "We're only going to carry seven (offensive linemen) on game day so somebody has to play center and guard. We've got to make sure he can do that. Normally you've got to have a versatile inside player."

Dr. Lecter
08-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Oh yeah, we are forgetting about Jerman too. He would beat out McFarland.

I see the opening day roster having Jerman, Gibson, Preston and Butler, with Merz and Pennington on the PS.

Although Gibson, Jerman and Butler are not locks.

Dozerdog
08-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Must mean we want to carry more WRs

mysticsoto
08-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Oh yeah, we are forgetting about Jerman too. He would beat out McFarland.

I see the opening day roster having Jerman, Gibson, Preston and Butler, with Merz and Pennington on the PS.

Although Gibson, Jerman and Butler are not locks.

I'd keep McFarland over Jerman. Jerman was a lubricated turnstile!!!

Just curious, why do you see Butler so highly? He's done nothing so far to show he is anywhere close to being ready, and depth charts that I've looked at have McFarland before him anyway.

We have lots of backup tackles. They will likely keep people who they think can also play OG...

billsburgh
08-22-2006, 10:49 AM
here is Chris Brown's comments regarding this.
P.S. Thanks to those who tried to straighten Husko out on the message board. When Jauron was referring to 7 offensive linemen he indeed meant dressing seven for game day. The team will likely have 9 linemen on the final 53-man roster.
http://buffalobills.com/blog/?blogger_id=1

Dr. Lecter
08-22-2006, 11:29 AM
I'd keep McFarland over Jerman. Jerman was a lubricated turnstile!!!

Just curious, why do you see Butler so highly? He's done nothing so far to show he is anywhere close to being ready, and depth charts that I've looked at have McFarland before him anyway.

I am not a Jerman fan either, but he seems to alwasy make it. I loved McFarland as a rookie; he was very good in pre-season but has not improved very much.

Everything I have heard/read about Butler is that McNally loves him. I have not been to camp, and watching the lineman on TV is not easy. Butler did OK (not great) against Cinci. I guess I am going off what I have read and heard about McNally's love of the guy.

THATHURMANATOR
08-22-2006, 03:03 PM
I heard on WGR that Villareal has a banged up back. I doubt he will last the season as he is older and a year more fragile. I hope Gibson or Preston can step in.

BILLSROCK1212
08-22-2006, 03:10 PM
I see it like this

LT- Mike Gandy
LG-Tutan Reyes
C-Melvin Fowler P.S. Aaron Merz
RG- Chris Villarial Duke Preston Aaron Gibson
RT- Jason Peters Dylan McFarland Brad Butler

TigerJ
08-22-2006, 03:33 PM
If I remember correctly, the league roster limit is 53, but teams can only dress 50, plus an emeergency QB. I imagine the Bills plan on keeping 8 offensive lineman on the roster. They will then dress 7. That gives them 5 starters, a backup at both tackles and a backup for all three interior lineman. It sounds like they are prepping both Preston and Geisinger to be the interior backup. Both will be expected to be able to play both guard positions and center. Gibson, if he backus up at tackle apparently gives the Bills a bounus of also being able to back up at guard too. That gives them a lot of flexibility. Sounds like Butler and Pennington are competing for practice squad space. Gibson could conceivably be cut. If he's not signed by another team, Buffalo could re-sign him if and when Villarrial gets hurt again. Buffalo is not all that good on the offensive line yet, but unless they keep more guys than I think they're going to keep, it's going to be tough for them to figure out who to keep and who to cut for that 8th and or 9th spot.

The_Philster
08-22-2006, 06:01 PM
but teams can only dress 50, plus an emeergency QB.actually, it's 45 plus the 3rd QB

Hamilton Billsfan
08-22-2006, 06:27 PM
46 players! I did not know that. If 7 players are not playing from the 53 man roster, it kinda makes the practice roster pointless.

The_Philster
08-22-2006, 06:35 PM
46 players! I did not know that. If 7 players are not playing from the 53 man roster, it kinda makes the practice roster pointless.
not really...sometimes, a few of those inactives are injured..and it's not like it's always the same 46 players on the active list even if you discount the injuries. A lot of the time, different players will be activated based on the opponent. Maybe an extra WR will be activated if the defense we're facing has a weak secondary...stuff like that :idunno:

TigerJ
08-22-2006, 09:16 PM
At any rate with a bunch of inactives each week, they will cover a number of positions. Your practice squad provides an extra pool of players that can be pressed into serviceone one weeks notice. Between the 53 man roster and the PS, I imagine the Bills will carry 9 or 10 offensive linemen.

billsburgh
08-22-2006, 09:41 PM
I heard on WGR that Villareal has a banged up back. I doubt he will last the season as he is older and a year more fragile. I hope Gibson or Preston can step in.
same old story. he's always hurt.

Meathead
08-22-2006, 10:17 PM
if hes only going to keep seven active its obvious why he wants guys like preston and gibson to cover multiple spots. if those two were deemed capable it would cover every line position in case somebody went out. and then you coiuld juggle guys around if two went out. after that youd prolly be screwed anyway and rob royal would suddenly be a tackle

Richard Gozinya
08-22-2006, 10:19 PM
I heard on WGR that Villareal has a banged up back.

Turnstilleal probably has repetitive motion syndrome from watching DTs run past him.

RedEyE
08-23-2006, 07:50 AM
Pennigton was just moved up to the 2nd team yesterday.

mysticsoto
08-23-2006, 08:09 AM
Pennigton was just moved up to the 2nd team yesterday.

Really? How'd he do? Who got bumped to 3rd? McFarland? I haven't heard much of Jerman this camp/pre-season...is he even playing or is he doing the rookies laundry?

RedEyE
08-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Really? How'd he do? Who got bumped to 3rd? McFarland? I haven't heard much of Jerman this camp/pre-season...is he even playing or is he doing the rookies laundry?

I only know from what I've read:

There was some shuffling on offense as well. On the offensive line seventh round pick Terrance Pennington was moved up to the second team left tackle spot after Matt Morgan was waived earlier in the day. He also played there on the team's third line. The coaching staff seems eager to get Pennington as many reps as possible in the practice setting.

The second team right tackle was Greg Jerman who appears to be the favorite to land the third tackle role to start the season, the same role he held for the Bills last season. Rookie fifth round pick Brad Butler worked in with the second unit at right tackle periodically.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4031

mysticsoto
08-23-2006, 08:56 AM
I only know from what I've read:

There was some shuffling on offense as well. On the offensive line seventh round pick Terrance Pennington was moved up to the second team left tackle spot after Matt Morgan was waived earlier in the day. He also played there on the team's third line. The coaching staff seems eager to get Pennington as many reps as possible in the practice setting.

The second team right tackle was Greg Jerman who appears to be the favorite to land the third tackle role to start the season, the same role he held for the Bills last season. Rookie fifth round pick Brad Butler worked in with the second unit at right tackle periodically.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4031

So Jerman is ahead of Butler...okay. But no mention of McFarland...I didn't think highly of Matt Morgan, so I'm not upset that he's gone. If Pennington is good enough to move to the left side to backup Gandy, I'm all for it.

But unless Jerman has improved incredibly (which I have heard no indications of) I want him off the team!!!

RedEyE
08-23-2006, 09:06 AM
So Jerman is ahead of Butler...okay. But no mention of McFarland...I didn't think highly of Matt Morgan, so I'm not upset that he's gone. If Pennington is good enough to move to the left side to backup Gandy, I'm all for it.

But unless Jerman has improved incredibly (which I have heard no indications of) I want him off the team!!!

According to the Bills depth chart, Jerman is positioned at #2 LG.

RedEyE
08-23-2006, 09:13 AM
McFarland is 2nd RT.

Jan Reimers
08-23-2006, 09:26 AM
I think we'll keep a total of 11 O-linemen between the roster and the PS. My personal preference, if we keep 9 on the roster, would be Gandy, Reyes, Fowler, Villarrial and Peters, with Preston and Geisinger backing up at G/C, and Gibson and Butler backing up at T. Pennington and Merz would be on the PS, and Jerman, McFarland and Thomas would be gone.

My personal preference has nothing to do with who we'll keep, however, and does not match the current depth chart, where Jerman, McFarland and Pennington are ahead of Gibson and Butler.

mysticsoto
08-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Went to Billsdaily.com and read that McFarland is hurt. No wonder he is ranking so low and so quiet. That's too bad. But if he's hurt already, he wasn't great to begin with and can do nothing for us. He'll likely be cut...