PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical for next season-You're the GM

Kerr
08-22-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm not trying to be a pessimist about this season, but let's just say Jake Plummer is available next season after being cut in favor of a younger Jay Cutler.

Our qb situation is still in ruins by the end of the season, which means that jp was an absolute failure.

Do you draft another qb and endure more rebuilding seasons or do you sign a veteran like plummer to try and contend? What's your call if you're the GM???

ICE74129
08-22-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm not trying to be a pessimist about this season, but let's just say Jake Plummer is available next season after being cut in favor of a younger Jay Cutler.

Our qb situation is still in ruins by the end of the season, which means that jp was an absolute failure.

Do you draft another qb and endure more rebuilding seasons or do you sign a veteran like plummer to try and contend? What's your call if you're the GM???

Nall takes over and or Plummer AND we draft a QB. Move up in the draft if we have to.

JP would be allowed to go on his way.

Mitchy moo
08-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Wow are you off base here. Dude, let's see what happens this year. I personally think JP gets "it" and rolls to a great year. We have a sutd RB and a better line and JP can run out of trouble. We'll do just fine, let it happen.

Mitchy moo
08-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Nall takes over and or Plummer AND we draft a QB. Move up in the draft if we have to.

JP would be allowed to go on his way.

This from a guy who started 130 threads on how JP must start and has 580 dedicated posts that somehow find ways to mention the neccesity JP starting?

Ice, you really need ritalin and/or a girlfriend.

Kerr
08-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Wow are you off base here. Dude, let's see what happens this year. I personally think JP gets "it" and rolls to a great year. We have a sutd RB and a better line and JP can run out of trouble. We'll do just fine, let it happen.

Ease down skooby, it's only a hypothetical. It's something different from all the *****y and whiny threads.

ICE74129
08-22-2006, 10:45 AM
This from a guy who started 130 threads on how JP must start and has 580 dedicated posts that somehow find ways to mention the neccesity JP starting?

Ice, you really need ritalin and/or a girlfriend.

See this from a guy that claims to read my posts and never really does. I said JP needs 16 games and full support from the coaching staff to see if he gets it. Its the ONLY way we find out IF he is the guy for us.

There is a chance he could get all of that support an it still not click for him. If it doesnt', then we are one more offseason away from being a playoff team (Address the damn OL MARV!!!!!) if that is the case and JP isn't it, go get a veteran like plummer and draft a guy to develop for 2 years

Mitchy moo
08-22-2006, 10:48 AM
See this from a guy that claims to read my posts and never really does. I said JP needs 16 games and full support from the coaching staff to see if he gets it. Its the ONLY way we find out IF he is the guy for us.

There is a chance he could get all of that support an it still not click for him. If it doesnt', then we are one more offseason away from being a playoff team (Address the damn OL MARV!!!!!) if that is the case and JP isn't it, go get a veteran like plummer and draft a guy to develop for 2 years

You have said JP must start more than anyone here, I will assure you of that. As per the long term, if JP plays more often he should get better and better. We can see him and Evans are a sure hook-up during almost everygame and Willis is ready to run, so if it works why even think about breaking it up?

It's seems mildy ignorant to call for someone so much and then say there are to be replaced in the near future. Let see if the boys can ball, if so keep them running.

THATHURMANATOR
08-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Plummer stinks IMO.

Night Train
08-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Plummer stinks IMO.

I agree. Denver drafted Cutler for a reason.

DraftBoy
08-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Pass on Plummer thanks

OpIv37
08-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Pass on Plummer thanks

I don't like Plummer either, but if it's between him and a completely unproven rookie, what do you do?

I wouldn't be opposed to getting Plummer and trading up in the draft to get Quinn, the idea being that Plummer is the stopgap until Quinn is ready. That might be difficult with the cap, though.

TacklingDummy
08-22-2006, 11:02 AM
The Bills should of cut KH and signed Brian Griese this year.

OpIv37
08-22-2006, 11:04 AM

he didn't say anything about JP- it's a "what if". Right now, we don't know if JP's gonna get it or not. So, if he doesn't get it, what next? Hopefully the Bills FO has some kind of contingency in case this happens.

THATHURMANATOR
08-22-2006, 11:05 AM
Yes cause Griese would have taken us to the playoffs.... :rolleyes:

I know you hate JP but why keep bringing in old veterans who have never done all that much. If we completely blow this year(as well as JP) I would be all for drafting your boyfriend Quinn.

ICE74129
08-22-2006, 11:06 AM
The Bills should of cut KH and signed Brian Griese this year.

I actually thought they would to be honest. I said in a post that I really thought BG would be a bill and if he had, JP would have been gone and they would have drafted a QB at #8

TacklingDummy
08-22-2006, 11:09 AM

Has nothing to do with playoffs. 1 player will not take a team to the playoffs. It's about having a better backup, possible starter, then Kelly Holcomb.

OpIv37
08-22-2006, 11:16 AM

I know you hate JP but why keep bringing in old veterans who have never done all that much. If we completely blow this year(as well as JP) I would be all for drafting your boyfriend Quinn.

The problem with that: Evans ain't getting any younger. McGahee aint getting any younger. TKO aint getting any younger, etc.... while we're developing a QB, all these guys will be spinning their wheels, and by the time the QB is ready to win, these guys will either be gone via FA or too old to help and they'll need to be replaced. Free agency has resulted in a virtually perpetual rebuilding cycle- at what point do you stop and say "time to win NOW"?

THATHURMANATOR
08-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Maybe next year Op. You are going to have to give me another QB than the ones mentioned that would help with that though.

L.A. Playa
08-22-2006, 11:24 AM
here is my question, as has been proven with the RB position in the last 5-10 years where you dont need a 1st rd pick used on a RB to succeed, is the era of having to have a 1st rd QB pick used on a QB to succeed over ?? look at the Super Bowl teams over the past 5-7 years not too many 1st rd picks in the game, seems to be that coaching and team chemistry are the biggest factors in winning in this era of the NFL not the 1st rd glamour picks

OpIv37
08-22-2006, 11:28 AM
here is my question, as has been proven with the RB position in the last 5-10 years where you dont need a 1st rd pick used on a RB to succeed, is the era of having to have a 1st rd QB pick used on a QB to succeed over ?? look at the Super Bowl teams over the past 5-7 years not too many 1st rd picks in the game, seems to be that coaching and team chemistry are the biggest factors in winning in this era of the NFL not the 1st rd glamour picks

you could be right, but I think it has more to do with how they're developed, ie, Carson Palmer. A lot of first round QB picks are by teams that are in desperate QB situations and need an answer ASAP, hence the QB's are thrown in there without proper development. Guys like Brady had the luxury of learning from the bench, which guys like Ryan Leaf never did.

Philip Rivers will be an interesting case study for this theory.

L.A. Playa
08-22-2006, 11:31 AM
you could be right, but I think it has more to do with how they're developed, ie, Carson Palmer. A lot of first round QB picks are by teams that are in desperate QB situations and need an answer ASAP, hence the QB's are thrown in there without proper development. Guys like Brady had the luxury of learning from the bench, which guys like Ryan Leaf never did.

Philip Rivers will be an interesting case study for this theory.

not to throw salt in a wound but JP had a year to learn from the bench

OpIv37
08-22-2006, 11:35 AM
not to throw salt in a wound but JP had a year to learn from the bench

right but he was also handed the starting job without a competition, which alienated the rest of the team. Then he was pulled and not given his season to struggle and learn, unlike Eli and Palmer.

What I'm trying to say (and didn't do well in my first post) is that QB success is more related to how they're developed than where they're drafted.

DraftBoy
08-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Playa Im in agreement with you about 1st round glamour picks, Id really like to see the Bills go with a big nast OL in rounds 1 or 2. Maybe a WR, Jarrett comes to mind fro round 1, maybe Smith in round 2. I would like to see us wait till around round 3 to get a QB (and its no secret my preseason fav is Chris Leak, bc of the head he has on his shoulders).

ICE74129
08-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Playa Im in agreement with you about 1st round glamour picks, Id really like to see the Bills go with a big nast OL in rounds 1 or 2. Maybe a WR, Jarrett comes to mind fro round 1, maybe Smith in round 2. I would like to see us wait till around round 3 to get a QB (and its no secret my preseason fav is Chris Leak, bc of the head he has on his shoulders).

Whomever the best LT is in the draft, I hope marv pony's up the picks to go get him.

L.A. Playa
08-22-2006, 11:40 AM
I agree OP all in all I think patience, system and coaching tell more about a player and his development more than anything else

L.A. Playa
08-22-2006, 11:42 AM
based on limited preseason time so far seems as if Travaris Jackson drafted in the 2nd rd has a chance to be the best QB drafted in 2006

Mitchy moo
08-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Whomever the best LT is in the draft, I hope marv pony's up the picks to go get him.

What we are going to need is a new RB after Willis runs for 2,000 yards this season and wants $8 Million a year. Drew and crew will go for all the money. RW is his usual form will find a team that wants to pay and we'll have chopped liver.

PromoTheRobot
08-22-2006, 12:01 PM

I'll be preparing to make the #32 pick while I'm getting fitted for my Super Bowl ring! :D

PTR

DraftBoy
08-22-2006, 12:10 PM
based on limited preseason time so far seems as if Travaris Jackson drafted in the 2nd rd has a chance to be the best QB drafted in 2006

I wont go that far, Bruce Gradkowski and Jay Cutler have also looked good.

X-Era
08-22-2006, 12:35 PM

Havent we had enough mid to late career vet QB's that havent done much?

It clearly doesnt work for us.

Theres too many teams that are benefiting from drfating and playing there young QB's.

McNabb, Palmer, Mannings, Rothlisberger.

We need to follow suit here. Is it Losman? who knows, were about to find out. If not, we need to g o it again with another youngster. Add a vet to back him up? sure. Plummer? He wont come here as a backup. Good for one year as a starter? maybe.

ICE74129
08-22-2006, 12:52 PM
I wont go that far, Bruce Gradkowski and Jay Cutler have also looked good.

I think its jackson and Cutler.

Jan Reimers
08-22-2006, 01:01 PM
IF - and that's a big IF - JP is a complete failure, Plummer is NOT the answer.

mysticsoto
08-22-2006, 01:24 PM

If JP does horribly this year, then yes, it would be viable to get Plummer or another Veteran in here. But as a GM, I would also draft a QB to mold for the future of the franchise. I like our personnel at almost every position except DE. If JP doesn't pan out, I would draft a QB and DE in the 1st and 2nd (not necessarily in that order if we get a decent veteran QB - like Plummer).

My personal style is to have an awesome defense 1st, and I feel DE is what we will be lacking by next year to become awesome. As our line continues to get better (and I would hope that the 3 rookies that we have will begin to produce fruit next year) hopefully helping out whatever QB we end up with.

But the blame of JP not doing well (or any QB for that matter) has to be measured correctly with the line that we have and not independently!!!