PDA

View Full Version : Spikes Might play Saturday

justasportsfan
08-22-2006, 03:30 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4028

Bills head coach Dick Jauron didn't rule out the possibility of Takeo Spikes playing against the Cleveland Browns in Buffalo's third preseason game Saturday.

"I think he's probably ready, but we're going to address it as we get closer," said Jauron. "Physically he's probably ready."

Spikes admitted that he has yet to discuss with the coaching staff and the trainers, and appeared a bit apprehensive about making a call on whether he would play in Saturday's game.

"I would love to play," said Spikes. "Knowing it's probably going to be a sellout. I've been pumping up the 'Comeback' and its Kids Day, so if there ever was an opportunity (to play) it would be now, but if I had to make a decision right now it wouldn't be this week."

ICE74129
08-22-2006, 03:49 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4028

Bills head coach Dick Jauron didn't rule out the possibility of Takeo Spikes playing against the Cleveland Browns in Buffalo's third preseason game Saturday.

"I think he's probably ready, but we're going to address it as we get closer," said Jauron. "Physically he's probably ready."

Spikes admitted that he has yet to discuss with the coaching staff and the trainers, and appeared a bit apprehensive about making a call on whether he would play in Saturday's game.

"I would love to play," said Spikes. "Knowing it's probably going to be a sellout. I've been pumping up the 'Comeback' and its Kids Day, so if there ever was an opportunity (to play) it would be now, but if I had to make a decision right now it wouldn't be this week."

LMAO he is just like some of the other vets that are starting to ***** and whine about preseason. He is going to stay out as long as possible. they seem to think they are entitled to some special treatment.

TedMock
08-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Let's see the guy has been our BEST player since he's come here. He's busted his butt on every play. He's been nothing short of the leader of our defense. He played on a bad part knowing it could pop at any point. It did, and his season was over. He had a long rehab, and he's finally physically ready to play. If he needs another week off to be 100% right in his mind, I see nothing wrong with that. He's not showing delusions of entitlement by any stretch. Prior to the injury the guy missed one game his entire career. He's also a proven hard-nosed player who gives his all on every down. Yes, he should be given some slack. This isn't little league. Right, wrong, or otherwise, proven players are given a little extra time in high school and college, let alone the NFL. I just think to question a guy who has been nothing but PURE HEART since day one is a little foolish, and shows a lack of common sense.

We could always say it's a "what have you done for me lately?" league. Fine. Nothing, I had a major injury, and I've been rehabbing so I can do what's best for my team come regular season time. If he ever actually stops caring or trying, then question him. Until then, let's not get ridiculous and lose all common sense.

THATHURMANATOR
08-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Let's see the guy has been our BEST player since he's come here. He's busted his butt on every play. He's been nothing short of the leader of our defense. He played on a bad part knowing it could pop at any point. It did, and his season was over. He had a long rehab, and he's finally physically ready to play. If he needs another week off to be 100% right in his mind, I see nothing wrong with that. He's not showing delusions of entitlement by any stretch. Prior to the injury the guy missed one game his entire career. He's also a proven hard-nosed player who gives his all on every down. Yes, he should be given some slack. This isn't little league. Right, wrong, or otherwise, proven players are given a little extra time in high school and college, let alone the NFL. I just think to question a guy who has been nothing but PURE HEART since day one is a little foolish, and shows a lack of common sense.

We could always say it's a "what have you done for me lately?" league. Fine. Nothing, I had a major injury, and I've been rehabbing so I can do what's best for my team come regular season time. If he ever actually stops caring or trying, then question him. Until then, let's not get ridiculous and lose all common sense.
:bf1:

ICE74129
08-22-2006, 06:14 PM

Yeah what have you done for me lately? You dont' get his big paycheck sitting on the bench. and If he isn't 100% or wont be its time for a paycut.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
08-22-2006, 06:24 PM
I dont want tko anywhere near a preseason game. the guy does not need to prove anything... let him bring it on game day when it counts!

The_Philster
08-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Well....according to Spikes after practice

On whether he’ll play this weekend

No. We haven’t even talked about it. It hasn’t been a thought. Right now their thing is making sure I’m mentally right at this point, before we decide to do anything.
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4030

DMBcrew36
08-22-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm worried enough that Spikes won't be 100% on Sept. 10th - he needs as much time as he can get. I hope Jauron is smart about this and lets him sit.

YardRat
08-22-2006, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him get a few plays in, if not this week than next. Even great players need to get used to the speed of a real game.

shelby
08-22-2006, 07:57 PM
ICE, i completely disagree with you.
He is rehabbing from a major injury. Why would you want him to risk re-injury just for the sake of a preseason game?

Typ0
08-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Yeah what have you done for me lately? You dont' get his big paycheck sitting on the bench. and If he isn't 100% or wont be its time for a paycut.

1) players don't get paid for pre-season games...that's one of the reasons the games will never be done away with.

2) I don't really get all the griping about pre-season anyway. The players are saying it's too much on the players...the teams are saying they need time for player evaluations. OK...so leave the starters out of it for the most part and evaluate the players you need to evaluate. Play all the scrubs in the last game and cut them. It doesn't seem that complicated to me.

OpIv37
08-22-2006, 08:32 PM
On one hand, I don't want Spikes to extend his recovery by trying to come back too soon.

On the other hand, practice is one thing. Full speed/full contact NFL games are another, and players tend to be gun-shy after an injury. I'd feel a HELL of a lot better if Spikes' first live NFL action in almost a year wasn't lining up across from Tom Brady on Sept. 10.

Typ0
08-22-2006, 08:33 PM
On one hand, I don't want Spikes to extend his recovery by trying to come back too soon.

On the other hand, practice is one thing. Full speed/full contact NFL games are another, and players tend to be gun-shy after an injury. I'd feel a HELL of a lot better if Spikes' first live NFL action in almost a year wasn't lining up across from Tom Brady on Sept. 10.

I'd rather see him get his first shot at making real hits on that day myself.

OpIv37
08-22-2006, 08:35 PM
I'd rather see him get his first shot at making real hits on that day myself.

when he misses the hits, you'll take that back. It takes time to adjust to the NFL level after such a long layoff, even for players of Spikes' caliber. If he comes back against NE, Bellicheck will make him PAY.

justasportsfan
08-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Yeah what have you done for me lately? You dont' get his big paycheck sitting on the bench. and If he isn't 100% or wont be its time for a paycut.It's not like he injured himself in a motorcycle accident. :coocoo:

ICE74129
08-23-2006, 10:14 AM
I love how everyone is kissing his butt and making excuses. SOME have it right. I don't care if you are reggie, bruce, ronnie lott, or whomever. You still need full speed reps and hitting guys to get ready for the regular season.

I can't wait till Spikes whiffs on Maroney and he takes it to the house. What will your excuses be then? Or better yet he flat runs spikes over because LM has been hitting and spikes hasn't. and Dont sit there and say it won't happen, it will.

then 4 games in when spikes might be up to speed, and we are 1-3 or worse, I can't wait to hear the excuses then. he HAD a major injury. If he can't make it back then put his butt on IR and lets move on. Otherwise get your ass out there and hit someone.

Bottom line he is using an excuse to SIT ON HIS ASS during preseason. He is like the other whiny vets Ie clinton portis, that doesn't feel he should have to play preseason games. Sorry NO PLAYER is that damn good. LT is sitting out and I bet he looks rusty as hell for the first couple of games. Funny San Diego started off slow last year and missed the playoffs. You would think that staff would have got the hint

ICE74129
08-23-2006, 10:15 AM
And one more thing, portis didn't get hurt just because he played preseason. He got hurt because he tried to tackle like a moron!

TedMock
08-23-2006, 12:16 PM
I love how everyone is kissing his butt and making excuses. SOME have it right. I don't care if you are reggie, bruce, ronnie lott, or whomever. You still need full speed reps and hitting guys to get ready for the regular season.

I can't wait till Spikes whiffs on Maroney and he takes it to the house. What will your excuses be then? Or better yet he flat runs spikes over because LM has been hitting and spikes hasn't. and Dont sit there and say it won't happen, it will.

then 4 games in when spikes might be up to speed, and we are 1-3 or worse, I can't wait to hear the excuses then. he HAD a major injury. If he can't make it back then put his butt on IR and lets move on. Otherwise get your ass out there and hit someone.

Bottom line he is using an excuse to SIT ON HIS ASS during preseason. He is like the other whiny vets Ie clinton portis, that doesn't feel he should have to play preseason games. Sorry NO PLAYER is that damn good. LT is sitting out and I bet he looks rusty as hell for the first couple of games. Funny San Diego started off slow last year and missed the playoffs. You would think that staff would have got the hint

You're generalizing. Nobody is kissing his butt, or making excuses. If he doesn't perform that's another story. Nobody is saying that it wouldn't be better if he had some full speed reps. Of course it would, to suggest otherwise is flat-out stupid. When has he ever been a whiney vet? That's a pretty ignorant statment. As is "he is using and excuse to sit on his ass..." When has he EVER been known to do that? Again, a very general statement without any knowledge of the facts. I know, you're probably going to say you had this same injury and you know, blah, blah. Of course you have to take into account that everybody's body heals differently. If he's 100%, then let's get him out there for a few snaps. If he's 99% then absolutely not for an exhibition game. You continue to bash a guy with ABSOLUTELY ZERO history of taking it easy, slacking off, not giving his all, etc. How about the fact that because he's one of the hardest working guys on the field he DESERVES the benefit of the doubt? By all accounts he's on pace to be ready for the season, so you can't place him on IR or make him take a pay cut, that's so unrealistic at this point it's not worth getting into. I'm sure the NFL players union would just let that slide right by too. Don't rant and rave about a guy who has NEVER been a problem. That's just *****ing for the sake of *****ing. Yes, he probably will be rusty if he doesn't play in the preseason. That's common sense, but also a heck of a lot better and has a lot more heart and leadership than anyone else out there. It's a fine line, but you can't risk a setback either. On a side note; why would you say you "can't wait" for Maroney to juke him or run him over? Personally, I'd like to see the Bills play well, so I'm really not excited to see something bad happen to our defense. Oh well, it's your right to cheer for whatever you'd like. Yes, PT would be better than no PT, but rushing him back would only put us in an even worse position. I hope he gets some snaps this week so he's completely in game shape. However, I wouldn't be too concerned with a hard-working player like Spikes.

TedMock
08-23-2006, 12:17 PM
And one more thing, portis didn't get hurt just because he played preseason. He got hurt because he tried to tackle like a moron!

That, I agree 100% with.