PDA

View Full Version : A. Thomas Beats Out Gates For Backup RB

Night Train
08-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Wonder if he's on the bubble ? New Coach means lots of cuts from the old guard.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/?blogger_id=1

Richard Gozinya
08-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Wonder if he's on the bubble ? New Coach means lots of cuts from the old guard.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/?blogger_id=1

If anyone's on the chopping block, it's Shaud. Gates has been excellent by all accounts.

Ebenezer
08-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Thomas looked to have a little acceleration Friday night...I liked the way he ran. Williams have never been that impressive.

HHURRICANE
08-22-2006, 08:51 PM
I'll take Gates over Shauld. The only thing Shauld is good for is jumping out of a Lucky Charms box.

billsburgh
08-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Thomas looked to have a little acceleration Friday night...I liked the way he ran. Williams have never been that impressive.
twice that i noticed, it looked as though Thomas was going to break a long run and he was shoestring tackled both times. would be nice if he ran through those tackles

Meathead
08-22-2006, 10:11 PM
I'll take Gates over Shauld. The only thing Shauld is good for is jumping out of a Lucky Charms box.
cmon everybody likes the little light skinned black guy rb. he almost looks white and just out of principle you have to root for the almost white running back. lmao

its really tough for a small rb to make it in the nfl but i think we were all pulling for him. still, i gotta agree he just cant match locomotive lionel and is prolly gonesville

you may disavow yourself from my quote of you lol

OpIv37
08-22-2006, 10:34 PM
If anyone's on the chopping block, it's Shaud. Gates has been excellent by all accounts.

I just watched the Bengals game and Shaud played a hell of a lot better than Gates.

Shaud's also been returning punts (IMO he's not all that great at it, but it still gives him an edge over Gates).

Richard Gozinya
08-22-2006, 11:11 PM
I just watched the Bengals game and Shaud played a hell of a lot better than Gates.

Shaud's also been returning punts (IMO he's not all that great at it, but it still gives him an edge over Gates).

Are you advocating keeping Shaud over Gates?

billsburgh
08-22-2006, 11:14 PM
is it really going to matter who the 3rd back is? how much playing time will he really get? we have plenty of specail teams studs, so that isn't much of a factor.

OpIv37
08-22-2006, 11:29 PM

no, I'm just saying that Shaud's less likely to be cut because he returns kicked and played better in the last preseason game. My guess is that neither of them are going to be cut before the next preseason game so they have more time to evaluate them.

Richard Gozinya
08-22-2006, 11:48 PM
no, I'm just saying that Shaud's less likely to be cut because he returns kicked and played better in the last preseason game. My guess is that neither of them are going to be cut before the next preseason game so they have more time to evaluate them.

Fair enough. I'm just a fan of what Gates brings to the table and the way he plays the game.

Ko Simpson the same way.

I really want both of those guys on the final roster.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
08-23-2006, 12:19 AM
I know some of you won't like this but I'm going to say this anyway he's another guy that Jauron coached when he was with Chicago and Jauron won't cut him.

justasportsfan
08-23-2006, 10:12 AM

Gates barely practiced all week with an ankle injury. I'll take Gates over Shaud anyday. With Willis most likely to be asking for a contract at the end of the year, Gates will be more valuable than Shaud. Nevermind his ST play. He can easily be replaced and has been.

OpIv37
08-23-2006, 10:17 AM
Gates barely practiced all week with an ankle injury. I'll take Gates over Shaud anyday. With Willis most likely to be asking for a contract at the end of the year, Gates will be more valuable than Shaud. Nevermind his ST play. He can easily be replaced and has been.

I'm no fan of Shaud's either and there are other people on this team with equal/superior ST abilities. I just think it would be premature to cut him based on Gates' performance in the last pre-season game. He may have just had an off-week because he didn't practice, but IMO it wouldn't be smart to dump Gates or Shaud at this point- give them the last two games for evaluation.

RedEyE
08-23-2006, 10:20 AM
I see Shaud getting the axe as well. Gates has proven his worth and versatility with the passing game. He's twice the running back the Shaud Williams is and just as capable of fielding the pass out of the backfield.

gil
08-23-2006, 10:29 AM
I was excited about Shaud's potential in last year's training camp. But I think we saw enough from him last season to know what we have - a guy who is quick as lightning and will get you excited that he's going to bust something big, but then he runs into those problematic tacklers and promptly bounces back off of them.

ICE74129
08-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Its past time for Shaud to go

Gunzlingr
08-23-2006, 10:31 AM
I think Gates makes the cut and Shaud doesn't as well.

Jan Reimers
08-23-2006, 10:39 AM
cmon everybody likes the little light skinned black guy rb. he almost looks white and just out of principle you have to root for the almost white running back. lmao

its really tough for a small rb to make it in the nfl but i think we were all pulling for him. still, i gotta agree he just cant match locomotive lionel and is prolly gonesville

you may disavow yourself from my quote of you lol
Meathead, I know you're only kidding, but you interject race into nonracial discussions more than David Duke and Jesse Jackson combined. Doesn't that worry you?

HAMMER
08-23-2006, 10:41 AM
I think Shaud stays.

justasportsfan
08-23-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm no fan of Shaud's either and there are other people on this team with equal/superior ST abilities. I just think it would be premature to cut him based on Gates' performance in the last pre-season game. He may have just had an off-week because he didn't practice, but IMO it wouldn't be smart to dump Gates or Shaud at this point- give them the last two games for evaluation.
Gates was injured. Can't use his last performnace as a basis of his performance. Against the panthers D, Gates was better than A-Train. I do however agree with the A-Train being ahead of Gates because you can't snooze when there's competition. If Gates plays better this weekend, I'm sure he'll be ahead of A-Train again.

ShadowHawk7
08-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Gates did not impress me at all w/ Cinnci, although he did against Carolina, and Williams did. Williams is like the Roscoe Parrish of RBs. Very quick acceleration, and very shifty, with an extra gear for speed. He also could be a very good #2 KR for us. His size is what limits him, but if we pick and choose the right plays for him, (a la NOT Mularkey) I think he could be an asset for us.

HHURRICANE
08-23-2006, 01:42 PM
A-train is the veteran with experience under Jauron. Gates will be #3 barring another bad performace. Shauld just doesn't have the size or strength. He got manhandled last season.

justasportsfan
08-23-2006, 01:43 PM
I wonder if Dick wants to see the A-Train a lot against Celveland so he can use either Gates or A-train as trade bait.

EricStratton
08-23-2006, 01:47 PM
The special teams thing is overblown. Shaud returned punts in a coached effort to see if he had value and he did a mediocre at best job IMO.

That was his shot of making the team and he didn't pass.

justasportsfan
08-23-2006, 01:53 PM
The special teams thing is overblown. Shaud returned punts in a coached effort to see if he had value and he did a mediocre at best job IMO.

That was his shot of making the team and he didn't pass.:up:

TacklingDummy
08-23-2006, 05:13 PM
Bills | Thomas on the bubble?
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:26:44 -0700

Rodney McKissic, of the Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills RB Anthony Thomas is fighting for a roster spot.

Meathead
08-24-2006, 02:48 PM
hey shaud is a race issue to me cuz for the first year i thought he was white. thats why i liked him so much. then when he turned black, well, not so much

lmao. j/k

but i did think he was white for a while. and naturally i was pulling for the little white dude to make it. every freakin starting rb in the league is black and prolly only about three backups arent black. if that aint an example of the black man keepin us down i dont know what is

hey when there were no black head coaches i was pulling for them. and when there was no black qbs i pulled for them also. now i say we give the qb jobs back to the white guys until we get more white rbs

heck, we even got a white michael jordan now. the nfl has to get wid the times

have faith my cracker bretheren, we shall overcome

mysticsoto
08-24-2006, 03:10 PM
hey shaud is a race issue to me cuz for the first year i thought he was white. thats why i liked him so much. then when he turned black, well, not so much

lmao. j/k

but i did think he was white for a while. and naturally i was pulling for the little white dude to make it. every freakin starting rb in the league is black and prolly only about three backups arent black. if that aint an example of the black man keepin us down i dont know what is

hey when there were no black head coaches i was pulling for them. and when there was no black qbs i pulled for them also. now i say we give the qb jobs back to the white guys until we get more white rbs

Hey Meathead, your friends called. They want to know if you are going to march with them again...:D

http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t790/T790871A.jpg

Meathead
08-24-2006, 07:38 PM
thats me wearing the black hood that means im not racist

Michael82
08-24-2006, 07:51 PM
:bigwave: Shaud Williams and Joe Burns

justasportsfan
08-24-2006, 08:19 PM

lmao. j/k

:snicker:

HHURRICANE
08-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Bills | Thomas on the bubble?
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:26:44 -0700

Rodney McKissic, of the Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills RB Anthony Thomas is fighting for a roster spot.

LINK???