• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Tom Donahoe

I think we do have a solid base of players here...and some exceptional talents. Thank you Mr. Donahoe -- if only you had pulled the trigger and hired a decent coach.
  • billsburgh
    • Jul 2003

Re: Tom Donahoe

the coaching hires and his neglect of the o-line were his downfall. there are some talented players here that he was responsilble for.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
      Maybe?
      • Oct 2003

Not sure how you can say our coaching is any better yet. All we have to go on is their history and soundbytes from training camp....and from that standpoint I think we are marginally better, if that.

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
        Not sure how you can say our coaching is any better yet. All we have to go on is their history and soundbytes from training camp....and from that standpoint I think we are marginally better, if that.

I don't see where I said the coaching was better now...yet another notorious BillsZone assumption.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
          short bus extraordinaire
          • Jul 2002

thank you Donna Ho for p!$$ing away draft picks on QB's and WR's.
          Originally posted by yordad
          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• don137
            • Jul 2002

You can't be a a place for 5-6 years and not have some talent. He never had a good line here. I think JP maturing is helping but I also think what Levy and company has done in its short time here has had a huge impact. He gave extension to the right person (Peters) and did not give one to Clements. He had a truly remarkable draft. Its ealy but this may be there one of the best drafts ever. Plus he signed some potential decent free agents when it was tough to get anyone to come here without breaking the bank.

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

Save the Postage Tom.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

I think TD is mostly responsible for our young and talented offensive skill players. He neglected the O line and the D to a very large extent, and his head coaches were an abomination.

He was also a control freak and an egomaniac. Good riddance to him.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• North_Coast
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                  I think TD is mostly responsible for our young and talented offensive skill players. He neglected the O line and the D to a very large extent, and his head coaches were an abomination.

He was also a control freak and an egomaniac. Good riddance to him.
                  I'll add another tidbit to this. I think that TD was a gambler and subscribed to the draft philosophy of "take the best player available", which resulted in the young talent on the offense, but not necessarily talent where the Bills needed it. The "best player available" is a good strategy for an already solid team looking to move up to elite status, but it's not the way to go when you have a team that has lots of holes to fill, which was the Bills when Donahoe arrived (primarily from being in cap hell).

I also don't think it's fair to say he neglected the D because he brought in some top notch defensive talent through FA like London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes.

The biggest problem with TD and the oline was that Donahoe believed that olinemen were interchangeable and easily replaced, so he let decent ones walk and replaced them with bargain basement models. The Bills had a decent oline early on during the Donahoe era, not great but decent, but first Ruben Brown (LG) was cut, then Jonas Jennings (LT) left through FA, and last year Mike Williams (RT) self-destructed. While Jonas missed last season with an injury, Ruben anchored the Bears' run-oriented oline that went to the playoffs with a rookie QB.
                  The Bills have only had 17 playoff years and 19 winning seasons in 47 years. 9 of those playoff years and 10 of those winning seasons -- and the 4 Super Bowl appearances -- came in the 15 years when Bill Polian and John Butler were Bills GMs ... and Ralph Wilson fired them both.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                    • Feb 2005

One big problem that that TD had during his administration, was his poor handle of the media and fans, also paying big money for players on the decline and not signing players in there prime ala antione winfeild, maybe jennings although with him he was v astly overpaid
                    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• BillsFever21
                      • Aug 2004

I think it's waaay to early to call this a remarkable draft and the best in our history.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Typ0
                        I think we do have a solid base of players here...and some exceptional talents. Thank you Mr. Donahoe -- if only you had pulled the trigger and hired a decent coach.
                        Jennings, Milloy, Williams, Posey, Teague, Euhus, Adams, Anderson and Henry. Yeah he's built us a super foundation that's why it's a rebuilding year.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

If nothing else, Donahoe fixed our cap. We have him to thank for all the 4 year $10 million contracts we're able to sign.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                            If nothing else, Donahoe fixed our cap. We have him to thank for all the 4 year $10 million contracts we're able to sign.
                            Yeah 10 Million in dead Cap space with Moulds and Williams!! Our cap was going to get fixed with or without TD.

Comment

• Typ0
                              honey pie
                              • Jul 2002

I don't think he ignored the OLine. I'm not going to blame him for Mike Williams being a bust. That was a very high draft pick and he should have been a huge anchor on our line making it solid. Instead he was garbage.

Comment

Working...
                              X