PDA

View Full Version : Question for BFZ#1

Charlieguide
08-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Hiya folks. Last week, someone mentioned having a RB/WR position available, and I'd like to bring that up here for discussion.

Our current roster (by default settings) allows for 2RBs and 3WRs in the starting lineup. I've been in several leagues that allowed 2RB, 2WR, and a RB/WR flex position, but I'm not sure if making that change is in the best interest of the league. I'm going to present some pros and cons as I see them, and I'd like to hear what you all think, as well. Hopefully, we all end up on the same page, but I think the best approach is to keep the status quo unless we all agree to change. Remember, we're not talking about adding a starter; but rather, whether or not to make the 3rd WR a RB/WR.

To start things off, the RB/WR adds flexibility to your team. Don't have good depth at WR this week? Make it a RB. It makes it easier to field your best players. It's a simple concept, but one that carries a lot of weight.

On the other hand -- and this is my major concern -- it further inflates the value of RB's. If we all start 2 RBs and have one on the bench, most bench RB's (those ranked 20th-30th) will be the "tweeners" that either split a significant amount of time, or have some major question marks, but also an upside. Add a RB/WR slot, and I'm concerned that there will be pressure to draft more RB's (those ranked 30th-40th), and you're adding backups or players that split most of their time. Hardly "fantasy" players, imo.

The prudent coach will look beyond the positions, and take the best players available. At the level we're talking about, that may well be a WR ranked 20th-30th (Joey Galloway, anyone?). The question is: does the flexibility of a RB/WR make our league better?

Devin
08-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Truthfully it doesnt matter to me, whatever everyone else wants to roll with is cool.

Typ0
08-23-2006, 10:59 PM
I think your concerns are pretty accurate. Since RB is the most sought after position to begin with...I think that flex position gives quite an advantage to the people who draft at the top because they have a much better chance to build depth at RB with that third pick. In the long run, this is very advantageous because those players have better coverage for bye weeks and running backs are typically more consistent scorers. Many teams you can get a very good idea how many carries a RB is going to get and in what situations. Receivers, on the other hand, often show up big time one week and don't exist the next with the exception of the really top receivers in the league.

It always seems nice having that flex position, I guess you have a little more comfort week to week with your starting roster. However, it really is about how your team compares to the rest of the leage not how good your starting lineup is.

In short, I think having this flex position really brings a bigger advantage to those who draft the first few picks because they get their third picks before the rest of the league. As such, I would rather go with 2RB and 3WR. WR is a much more volatile position and there are many more receivers with potential production. If someone gets 3 very productive RBs that's still an advantage for them...let's not blow it out of proportion.

Typ0
08-23-2006, 11:00 PM
I also agree with Devin that it isn't any huge deal or anything.

LtFinFan66
08-23-2006, 11:35 PM
I like this set-up? But if it is different, no biggie :up:

WR
WR
RB
RB
WR/RB