PDA

View Full Version : Gardener's Status...

WG
02-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Thought I'd toss this out as a benchmark. Apparently Gardener wants a 3-yr. deal worth $15. The Skins have offered him a 3 yr./$12M contract w/ a 5 yr./$20M option to it, you'll have to read how, but he's rejected that. I say he's nuts, but hey, maybe he'll get more on the open market. He is 31 if I'm not mistaken however and definitely has legitimate injury risks.

Anyway, just lookin' to see what kinds of players we're gonna be able to sign given the demands of the top 5 or 6 FAs at each position. Given this, it doesn't appear to be too optimistic to me that we'll sign any great D players if we spend bookoo bucks on Price.

clumping platelets
02-23-2003, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't give him 3yrs-$12 million. Last year was his healthiest :chuckle:

No thanks.......let some other team have him.

WG
02-23-2003, 11:00 AM
Obviously. Then again, I wouldn't give Price that kind of money either. But if that's what he's gonna command, Gardener that is, just think what others will command. Thornton eg.

I don't think he's gonna do better than what the Skins have offered either. But we need some guys on D that are "impact" and not just ones "who have NLF experience!" We have enough of those.

WG
02-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Oh yeah, here's the link in case anyone's interested:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A50239-2003Feb22.html

TypicalBill
02-23-2003, 12:00 PM
:shakeno: i was really hoping we would land gardener. But if thats what he demands, then no thanks, we could find younger and cheaper alternatives.

Bufftp
02-23-2003, 12:45 PM
its not what he is commanding wys, but what he is demanding! Remember every year some free agents demand too much at the start of FA, and find themselves signing for much less at the end of the FA period if they had been more reasonable at the begining.

don137
02-23-2003, 01:34 PM
I agree with you Bufftp. Players hit free agency with the hopes and expectations of cashing in big time. Reality is only a few get what they actually demand. Available money thins out very quickly and players realize that if they want the big pay day they better sign quickly before it is all gone and the best they get is veteran minimum. Gardner is crazy to pass up that contract. Considering his proness to injury and his age he will NOT get a better deal on the open market.

Doc
02-23-2003, 01:51 PM
Forget what Gardener is asking for as a benchmark. He knows his back is a problem and is looking to stick any team with a huge guaranteed signing bonus just in case he can't play much anymore. Hopefully the Skins will be the fools to give him what he wants.

TigerJ
02-23-2003, 07:07 PM
I read so many rumors and news items, I can't remember where I saw it, but TD is still thinking in terms of 3 million a year or so in a long term deal with PP. At the same time, Atlanta appears to be lusting after PP. I think either PP's agent will need to move a lot closer to TD's number or Buffalo will be picking at #23 in round one. I wonder how much more TD could get from Atlanta besides a first rounder. A second round pick is probably too much to expect, but another third or fouth rounder would be nice.

Doc
02-23-2003, 07:41 PM
Let's not get too greedy. I mean we lost Wiley and got nothing in return, so getting anything for Price would be a bonus, even a late rounder. However since he's a hot commodity (Boston is damaged goods and it's buyer beware with him) I don't think at least a 1st rounder would be too much and I could live with that. You don't want to scare Atlanta away and you're more than recouping what you gave up for Price (a 2nd rounder in 1998).