• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

The OL must be better than we think!!

JP's quote:

On the offenses identity

We’re trying to establish the run game. I think the offensive line is doing a great job with that. There’s so much more confidence. They are so close and so tight; you can’t go in between those guys because they know what they want to do. It’s very exciting and very encouraging and its time for everyone else to start stepping up their games. That whole group alone leads the offense and gets this team going. We know who are line is and we know who they’re going to be. We know how good they are and how good they can be. They have set the tone for the whole camp and they’ve been the one constant group and they continue to get better everyday.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: The OL must be better than we think!!

What was he going to say " my protection blows"? JP needs to kiss their butt as much as he can.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Further proof of JP being a leader.

Comment

• mysticsoto
        Too sober for this...
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
        What was he going to say " my protection blows"? JP needs to kiss their butt as much as he can.
        True, but compared to what we had last year, there is significant improvement...

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

I really think there is more to it. I watched the bengals game and they did some good things until Preston became the center. I like this unit. It's the depth behind them that scares the hell out of me. McGahee finally had some holes to expolit.

Comment

• mysticsoto
            Too sober for this...
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
            I really think there is more to it. I watched the bengals game and they did some good things until Preston became the center. I like this unit. It's the depth behind them that scares the hell out of me. McGahee finally had some holes to expolit.
            The depth is just a little green, but they have alot of potential. Apparently Pennington has the potential to play LT and I've heard good things about Brad Butler - just this morning on WGR550.

We do need to mold some good guards. Preston needs to start taking the next step, as he is the heir apparent to Villarial.

And if I'm Gibson, I'm talking and working with McNally as much as I can at the Guard position, as that is where he likely can get the best chance to ever actually play.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
              Originally posted by mysticsoto
              True, but compared to what we had last year, there is significant improvement...
              I agree but didn't want to be called a homer .

I think this time McNally got athletic players he wanted instead of being given fat cheap players and asked to make them problowlers.
              sacrifice1

Comment

• FinFaninBuffalo
                Registered Fish
                • Aug 2006

Here is my "unbiased" review of the Bills OL:

The Bills are starting a converted G at LT, an old RG, and a converted TE at RT (who was abused in his last game). They are also trying to work in a new C and LG. Those were low level FA acquisitions at best. Fowler couldn't hold a starting spot on the Browns and only started on the Vikings because of an injury. Reyes couldn't break into the starting lineup in Carolina until Jeno James left (he is the starting LG in Miami). Their highly regarded OL coach has had difficulty working with the Bills linemen and they are moving to a new offense with a new HC and OC. Your top backup (Jerman) was cut by the Fins.

Then again, this is a new season and they could do alright. That's what makes the NFL so great to watch.

Comment

• RedEyE
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                  Further proof of JP being a leader.
                  Took the words right out of my mouth.

But Peter king would see the negative connotation.

Comment

• ICE74129
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by RedEyE
                    Took the words right out of my mouth.

But Peter king would see the negative connotation.
                    Pecker king is an assclown

Comment

• mysticsoto
                      Too sober for this...
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by FinFaninBuffalo
                      Here is my "unbiased" review of the Bills OL:

The Bills are starting a converted G at LT, an old RG, and a converted TE at RT (who was abused in his last game). They are also trying to work in a new C and LG. Those were low level FA acquisitions at best. Fowler couldn't hold a starting spot on the Browns and only started on the Vikings because of an injury. Reyes couldn't break into the starting lineup in Carolina until Jeno James left (he is the starting LG in Miami). Their highly regarded OL coach has had difficulty working with the Bills linemen and they are moving to a new offense with a new HC and OC. Your top backup (Jerman) was cut by the Fins.

Then again, this is a new season and they could do alright. That's what makes the NFL so great to watch.
                      Unbiased???

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Those were low level FA acquisitions at best...
                        strong statement . What is your opinion on Bennie Anderson and the miami OL? Not trying to start a pissing contest, btw.

Fowler couldn't hold a starting spot on the Browns and only started on the Vikings because of an injury..
                        the interesting part is that when he took over the vikings went on a winning streak. Was it because of Brad Johnson or did Fowler have any part in that? or was Culppeper just horrible without MOss?

Reyes couldn't break into the starting lineup in Carolina until Jeno James left (he is the starting LG in Miami). ..

You really can't knock Reyes based on what Carolina has done since he replaced Jeno James who btw, hasn't lived up to expectaions since he's been with the fins.

Your top backup (Jerman) was cut by the Fins...

Jerman was cut prior to Houck having had a chance to look at the guy. Although he's nothing great, doesn't mean that just because the fins cut him, he can't do better elsewhere (which remains to be seen) . BTW, when you say Jerman is our top back up, do you mean at his position?

Well said. I wouldn't be surprised if our OL turns out to be better than Miami's .
                        sacrifice1

Comment

• Luisito23
                          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                          compared to what we had last year, there is significant improvement...

Agreed completly....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!
                          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• FinFaninBuffalo
                            Registered Fish
                            • Aug 2006

. strong statement . What is your opinion on Bennie Anderson and the miami OL? Not trying to start a pissing contest, btw.
                            I have the same hopes for Anderson that you have for Fowler and Reyes. Buffalo moved him to LG. He is back at RG with Miami. He was originally brought in for depth. Unfortunately injuries have already struck.

I think the Fins OL has to prove that last season wasn't a fluke. Since they were returning all 5 starters, you have to consider any changes (except for RG) that are being made as upgrades (as far as the Dolphins coaching staff is concerned). LT should be a modest upgrade. LG is solid (and another year in the system and with Houck). C should be an upgrade. RG is a question. RT should be a bit better since Carey returns with more experience and the reports from camp are that he is in better shape than last season. Their depth at tackle is good with last year's starter available as a reserve. G/C depth is mostly unproven.

the interesting part is that when he took over the vikings went on a winning streak. Was it because of Brad Johnson or did Fowler have any part in that? or was Culppeper just horrible without MOss?
                            Or perhaps it was the opponents. Either way, he has been unable to flat out win a starting position in his career.

You really can't knock Reyes based on what Carolina has done since he replaced Jeno James who btw, hasn't lived up to expectaions since he's been with the fins.
                            Depends on whose expectations you are talking about. He was a solid starter in Carolina and a solid starter in Miami. Some Fin fans are disappointed if every player doesn't make the probowl.

Jerman was cut prior to Houck having had a chance to look at the guy. Although he's nothing great, doesn't mean that just because the fins cut him, he can't do better elsewhere (which remains to be seen) . BTW, when you say Jerman is our top back up, do you mean at his position?
                            He is your most experienced backup. He can also play tackle and guard. That is why I consider him your top backup on the OL.

Well said. I wouldn't be surprised if our OL turns out to be better than Miami's .
                            I would be surprised and disappointed but not shocked.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

I have the same hopes for Anderson that you have for Fowler and Reyes. Buffalo moved him to LG. He is back at RG with Miami. He was originally brought in for depth. Unfortunately injuries have already struck.

I think the Fins OL has to prove that last season wasn't a fluke. Since they were returning all 5 starters, you have to consider any changes (except for RG) that are being made as upgrades (as far as the Dolphins coaching staff is concerned). LT should be a modest upgrade. LG is solid (and another year in the system and with Houck). C should be an upgrade. RG is a question. RT should be a bit better since Carey returns with more experience and the reports from camp are that he is in better shape than last season. Their depth at tackle is good with last year's starter available as a reserve. G/C depth is mostly unproven.

Or perhaps it was the opponents. Either way, he has been unable to flat out win a starting position in his career.

Depends on whose expectations you are talking about. He was a solid starter in Carolina and a solid starter in Miami. Some Fin fans are disappointed if every player doesn't make the probowl.

He is your most experienced backup. He can also play tackle and guard. That is why I consider him your top backup on the OL.

I would be surprised and disappointed but not shocked.
                              Anderson was the worst player in arguably the worst OL in the league. Fowler was the center of a team that went on a winning streak when Brad Johnson came in . Again it's neither here nor there as to who's responsible but one things for sure , Anderson was the weakest link on the worst OL and couldn't even beat out Jerman who was "cut by the fins"
                              EDIT: As to him playing LG to RG, does it matter? Peters was a TE converted to LT.

Anderson compared to Reyes? Not even close.

Shelton didn't play last year. No one wanted to sign him. Peters is more proven if we go by the saying" you're only as good as your last performance" meaning an entire season.

Carey hasn't done squat since he's been in the league. He's more experienced under Houck? so is Gandy ,Jerman, Peters, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for Houck and your OL could be better. But just pointing out the bias in your opinion. That's all.
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                              X