PDA

View Full Version : As always, timing is everything

PA Season Ticket Holder
02-23-2003, 10:49 AM
NDIANAPOLIS (Feb. 22, 2003) -- I'm here at the National Scouting Combine, and as always, there's more going on outside the workout facility than inside.

For example, only four of 16 running backs ran the 40-yard dash inside the Dome. While scouts and coaches got up early to listen to 12 RBs stand there and say they'll run back at school next month, there was lots of discussions about potential free agents. By time the college draft rolls around in April, just as big personnel decisions will have already been made.

There is some genuine excitement about Philadelphia DE Hugh Douglas not being given the franchise tag. Look for a team like Kansas City, who will be very aggressive in free agency for defensive help, to take a shot at Douglas. Cincinnati, Baltimore, Seattle, Arizona and Minnesota all have lots of cap space and all finished near the bottom of the NFL in sacks -- music to Mr. Douglas's ears. I had Hugh with me at the Jets and besides being a terrific pass rusher, he also happens to be a very good person with a contagious enthusiasm for the game. Whomever signs him will get their money's worth in the locker room as well as the on the field. As one GM said to me, "The Eagles have done a great job managing their cap but their theories on cap and salary structure will be tested on this decision. This is not the same thing as letting (Jeremiah) Trotter go."

There are a few teams that want to fly down to Arizona and pick up all three Cardinals who were left unprotected. WR David Boston , FS Kwamie Lassiter and QB Jake Plummer are too good to be true in some people's eyes. If it's the day after free agency starts and you see any of these marquee players sign with a new team, you can be fairly confident that while some club executives were inside the Dome listening to why some running backs weren't running, some other club executives were outside the Dome discussing players who did want to play.

MORE (http://nfl.com/news/story/6205333)