PDA

View Full Version : Has JP been named starter yet?

Mr. Miyagi
08-24-2006, 09:00 AM
I haven't seen any official announcement from Jauron yet. You would think he'd make some sort of a statement whether yes JP is our guy or not yet we're going to start Nall in the next preseason game to see, etc.

But so far I've seen nothing. What did I miss?

Dr. Lecter
08-24-2006, 09:01 AM
He said he was not ready to make a formal announcement.

justasportsfan
08-24-2006, 09:04 AM
I think Jauron wants to take a closer look at Nall before he announces it. That way he can say, he gave Nall a legit shot.

What happens if Nall outperforms JP? Another Qb controversy?

ICE74129
08-24-2006, 09:05 AM
I think Jauron wants to take a closer look at Nall before he announces it. That way he can say, he gave Nall a legit shot.

It will show us if we have a weak HC or not. Its JP's job and everyone knows it. He should start this game and be named the starter. Its just more games by a weak head coach.

HHURRICANE
08-24-2006, 09:27 AM
It will show us if we have a weak HC or not. Its JP's job and everyone knows it. He should start this game and be named the starter. Its just more games by a weak head coach.

You and I have been pretty much in agreement on JP but I think Jauron is probably smart to wait til after this game. Let JP play, play well, and than name him the starter and make it official on Monday. If JP doesn't fumble twice at the end of the second qtr. he would have already been named the starter. Nall is auditioning for the backup QB spot.

HHURRICANE
08-24-2006, 09:30 AM

What if Nall is terrible?! Is KH the backup?! I'm hoping Nall plays well. That will do more to end the QB controversy in the media. Nall from the outside was never viewed as a legit option. JP doesn't need Kelly hanging over his shoulder. IF JP still sucks after week 8 Nall will get his shot.

justasportsfan
08-24-2006, 09:35 AM
What if Nall is terrible?! Is KH the backup?! I'm hoping Nall plays well. That will do more to end the QB controversy in the media. Nall from the outside was never viewed as a legit option. JP doesn't need Kelly hanging over his shoulder. IF JP still sucks after week 8 Nall will get his shot.

IMO JP is a lock at the no.1 spot. The reason why they are making Nall play is to see whether we still need KH .

I think it's the same situation with the rb spot. Theres competition for the no. 2 spot. While Gates is neck and neck with the A-Train, Gates has youth on his side and has the ability to catch coming from the backfield. Could be the reason why Jauron wants A-train to have more snaps. :idunno:

ICE74129
08-24-2006, 09:37 AM

Agreed. JP needs the first two quarters, Nall the next two. Hey Holcomb got to play without Nall playing for a full game so its not a big deal.

HHURRICANE
08-24-2006, 09:41 AM
IMO JP is a lock at the no.1 spot. The reason why they are making Nall play is to see whether we still need KH .

I think it's the same situation with the rb spot. Theres competition for the no. 2 spot. While Gates is neck and neck with the A-Train, Gates has youth on his side and has the ability to catch coming from the backfield. Could be the reason why Jauron wants A-train to have more snaps. :idunno:

Somebody posted that A-train is on the bubble? I didn't find it in the news. Any links?!

Kerr
08-24-2006, 09:44 AM
It doesn't matter if it's loser #1 or loser #2 backing up jp. He only needs to worry about his job and becoming the qb he's supposed to be. If jp is too concerned about who's looking over his shoulder, then he's mentally unfit to be the qb of this team.

HHURRICANE
08-24-2006, 09:49 AM
It doesn't matter if it's loser #1 or loser #2 backing up jp. He only needs to worry about his job and becoming the qb he's supposed to be. If jp is too concerned about who's looking over his shoulder, then he's mentally unfit to be the qb of this team.

Uhhh there's a big difference between "playing with confidence" and "playing cautiously." JP needs to know he is the strater so he can play his game. If he's too worried about making mistakes he's going to be back on the bench.

justasportsfan
08-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Somebody posted that A-train is on the bubble? I didn't find it in the news. Any links?!Sorry. Haven't seen one.

Kerr
08-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Uhhh there's a big difference between "playing with confidence" and "playing cautiously." JP needs to know he is the strater so he can play his game. If he's too worried about making mistakes he's going to be back on the bench.

Er? You're telling me someone needs to know they're a starter in order to play well? Who do you think jp is? T.O? Do you know how fast someone can lose their job in this league? He doesn't need to know he's the starter, he needs to play like a starter. He needed reps and he got them to help him get comfortable. That's all he needs.

Kelly The Dog
08-24-2006, 10:11 AM
I never could understand the "quarterback looking over his shoulder" concept. The quarterbacks that look over their shoulder should be looking over their shoulder because those are the ones that are going to fail. How can that be more pressure than running an offense in front of 75,000 fans on national TV in a regualr season game with 250 pound raving homicidal maniacs trying to rip your head off and having to thread a needle 35 yards downfield in 2.9 seconds?

If a guy is worried about his job he isn't concentratig on what he needs to do. He doesn't have the ability to compartmentalize things necessary to succeed in this league. There are 100 scratch golfers for every 1 that can sink the seven foot putt on the 18th hole with all the pressure on him and that is what separates the men from the boys. I knew Holcomb was a career back-up when he was talking about worrying about screwing up when he was in Cleveland. That's a back-ups mentality for a veteran. You can understand it a little from a kid but the guy that allows himself to look over his shoulder while he is in the game might not have the mentality to succeed in this league. And that includes Losman.

eyedog
08-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Publicly DJ hasn't named a starter. Privately they have known for weeks.

ICE74129
08-24-2006, 10:44 AM
I never could understand the "quarterback looking over his shoulder" concept. The quarterbacks that look over their shoulder should be looking over their shoulder because those are the ones that are going to fail. How can that be more pressure than running an offense in front of 75,000 fans on national TV in a regualr season game with 250 pound raving homicidal maniacs trying to rip your head off and having to thread a needle 35 yards downfield in 2.9 seconds?

If a guy is worried about his job he isn't concentratig on what he needs to do. He doesn't have the ability to compartmentalize things necessary to succeed in this league. There are 100 scratch golfers for every 1 that can sink the seven foot putt on the 18th hole with all the pressure on him and that is what separates the men from the boys. I knew Holcomb was a career back-up when he was talking about worrying about screwing up when he was in Cleveland. That's a back-ups mentality for a veteran. You can understand it a little from a kid but the guy that allows himself to look over his shoulder while he is in the game might not have the mentality to succeed in this league. And that includes Losman.

No historically if you look the ones looking over their shoulders have owners that think its fantasy football out there and or a WEAK head coach. Strong owners and HC's pick a guy and develop him. The history is there.

Romes
08-24-2006, 10:45 AM

I don't think its the case of DJ being a weak coach. I think he is just keeping the "competition" going as long as possible just to make JP and the rest of the team feel like JP has won something.

We all know how JP and the team handled JP just being given the job, that didn't go over well with anyone.

justasportsfan
08-24-2006, 10:51 AM
I don't think its the case of DJ being a weak coach. I think he is just keeping the "competition" going as long as possible just to make JP and the rest of the team feel like JP has won something.
. or taking a closer look at his options before making a drastic decision. We all know what happened when TD made a drastic decision based on ego to go with a rookie qb or rookie coaches. We could've had Wiess or Fox.

ICE74129
08-24-2006, 10:55 AM
or taking a closer look at his options before making a drastic decision. We all know what happened when TD made a drastic decision based on ego to go with a rookie qb or rookie coaches. We could've had Wiess or Fox.

Its the case of being a weak coach. Nall nor holcomb are going to unseat JP. He has the meat of the snaps, averaging over 60% and scoring. Name the kid and be done with it.

If vets still have an issue then its time to weed some more out.

justasportsfan
08-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Its the case of being a weak coach. .that's your opinion. he's checking out his options for the back up qb position, IMO

TigerJ
08-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Officially, JP is still the "frontrunner." My own opinion is that this is as much about keeping the heat on JP to clean up his mistakes as it is about "giving Nall his shot." I'm OK with it, but I'll be glad when the whole thing is done.

TacklingDummy
08-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Somebody posted that A-train is on the bubble? I didn't find it in the news. Any links?!

Bills | Thomas on the bubble?
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:26:44 -0700

Rodney McKissic, of the Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills RB Anthony Thomas is fighting for a roster spot.

got it off of kffl.com