PDA

View Full Version : I hate to think about this but what if...

Romes
08-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Katelyn (Syracuse, NY): Some people are saying that if Losman busts this year the Bills will be the front runner in the Matt Schaub sweepstakes....thoughts?

Gary Horton: Well, I know that every year Matt Schaub is perceived as a guy that a lot of teams would like to have as their starter. But Atlanta has smartly not let him get away and in fact there are some people in Atlanta that would like to see Schaub as a starter. I do think that this is a defining year for Losman. If he doesn't emerge, I think this will be his last season in Buffalo and he will be put in the bust category. But it might take a lot to pry Schaub away from Atlanta.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=12674

This little quote from and espn chat got me thinking (well, that and its been a really slow day at work).

I still consider JP basically just a little more than a rookie. I'd like to give him this year and atleast part of next year. But is this a make or break season for Losman?

What if he really just blows it and pulls a Heath Shuler or god forbid a Ryan Leaf? Should the Bills cut him then and just move on?

Dicknoze69
08-24-2006, 11:45 AM
If JP absolutely sucks this year, you can't go in training camp next year without some other options. Whether it be a high draft pick (Quinn, etc.), a younger vet (Nall, Schaub), or even an experienced vet. If he sucks this year, with no promise, you've gotta make some kind of move.

OpIv37
08-24-2006, 11:51 AM
I agree- this is it for Losman. That doesn't mean he has to come out and tear up the league, but if he's not looking like an NFL starter by the end of this year, time to move on, or at least bring in another option and let them fight it out.

I don't want the Bills and Losman to become like the Ravens and Boller, the Lions and Harrington, the Redskins and Ramsey, etc- they give these guys 3-4 seasons and nothing ever happens.

THATHURMANATOR
08-24-2006, 11:59 AM
If JP is horrible this year he is gone. Thats That!

Bill Brasky
08-24-2006, 12:11 PM
There have already been numerous threads about this.

Philagape
08-24-2006, 12:29 PM
JP should get the whole year, but that's it

bigbub2352
08-24-2006, 12:34 PM
If JP doesnt show not only will he be gone but unless Craig Nall is the next Jake Delhomme, we are gonna be in the Brady Quinn sweepstakes not the Matt Schaub one

Statman
08-24-2006, 01:12 PM
If JP blows that badly, wouldn't that possibly put the Bills in a position to draft Quinn?

ICE74129
08-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Bottom line, no getting around it....JP has to be given full support by the coaches and 16 games without fear of being pulled.

Now, if he still fails, ship his ass out. I bring in a veteran or even turn the team over to nall depending on his development in this system. I also draft a QB. I don't feel it has to be Quinn or any other first round pick, but we will need to draft one, give him 2 years to develop then start him and give him 16 full games, full support etc.

justasportsfan
08-24-2006, 01:16 PM
"But it might take a lot to pry Schaub away from Atlanta. "

we can trade Peerless Price for Shaub straight up.

Any questions?

ICE74129
08-24-2006, 01:24 PM
"But it might take a lot to pry Schaub away from Atlanta. "

we can trade Peerless Price for Shaub straight up.

Any questions?

I think they learned thier lesson the first time :bandwagon

Typ0
08-26-2006, 07:11 AM

This little quote from and espn chat got me thinking (well, that and its been a really slow day at work).

I still consider JP basically just a little more than a rookie. I'd like to give him this year and atleast part of next year. But is this a make or break season for Losman?

What if he really just blows it and pulls a Heath Shuler or god forbid a Ryan Leaf? Should the Bills cut him then and just move on?

what really baffles me...is how this kid is still getting called a rookie. Give it a rest already he's in his third year. He's got to grow up and start doing the things he does well more often and start getting rid of the screw ups.

ParanoidAndroid
08-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Chris Simms is another QB in his contract year to watch. Now, TB would be foolish to let him even sniff the FA market if he starts out the season well, but you never know. I'm not even sure if Simms is going to break out, but he has shown good things.
I would like to see JP tear someone up and just have a lights out game. If he has that one game -the sooner the better- I think it will do wonders for his career.

X-Era
08-26-2006, 10:28 AM

I dont disagree. If JP gets a whole year, and plays the whole year. And doesnt show that he has made tangible improvement, I think we should start over with a new guy.

If this was the same regime that drafted him, they would be more likely to keep him, but since its all new, JP's leash only lasts one full year IMO.

Now, Id like to backup my comment with something tangible as far as goals. Im starting a new thread on this.

TacklingDummy
08-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Now, Id like to backup my comment with something tangible as far as goals. Im starting a new thread on this.

Oh great, another JP thread, what will that make the 9th QB thread on the main page?

And Thurm wants to break my balls about talking about the QB position.

JP only gets 16 games this year if he shows signs of becoming a good QB. If after 10 games and he's not showing improvement and has a couple back to back 75 yard passing games, it's time to end the JP experiment and put Nall in to see what he can do. The only way JP gets 16 games this year is if he deserves it. Nall has to play if JP doesn't produce. We can't go into next year thinking Nall is the future.

TigerJ
08-26-2006, 10:36 AM
I've been saying for 6 months now that for Losman it's 2006 or bust.

X-Era
08-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Oh great, another JP thread, what will that make the 9th QB thread on the main page?

And Thurm wants to break my balls about talking about the QB position.

JP only gets 16 games this year if he shows signs of becoming a good QB. If after 10 games and he's not showing improvement and has a couple back to back 75 yard passing games, it's time to end the JP experiment and put Nall in to see what he can do. The only way JP gets 16 games this year is if he deserves it. Nall has to play if JP doesn't produce. We can't go into next year thinking Nall is the future.
Fine, show some spine and reply to my TANGIBLE thread with what stats you want to see from JP by your magical 10th game. Fess it up. Im wagering you wont respond, because why box yourself in to something JP could reach? You want to blindly hate him even if he becomes a hall fo famer. Put your money where your mouth is, give me your goals for JP to reach by the 10th game.

YardRat
08-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Jp gets eight to twelve games this year, and if he's improving he earns more.

If he is regressing or simply not improving from Week 1 thru Week 8, then the experiment is over, and it's Nall's turn to prove whether or not he can start in this league.