PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: Come home People - Why did you leave Buffalo

Ebenezer
08-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Forked from: Come home People (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=1613053)

Every time I tell people around here where I'm from, I get reactions like "Oh my god, how could you deal with all that snow? I could NEVER live there".

I even know one guy from Alaska who went to Fredonia with me and he thinks WNY winters are worse than Alaska because of the snow and wind.

Most people who didn't grow up in that climate just don't want to deal with it.

Many of the folks on this board were originally from the Buffalo/WNY area. There are only a few of us that still live here.

Simple question. Why did you leave?

justasportsfan
08-24-2006, 08:20 PM
one more option missing. Never left because I never lived there and never will .

HHURRICANE
08-24-2006, 08:22 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

kinigirly
08-24-2006, 08:22 PM
student loans + car payments + moving out of my parents house meant i could not live off a wny income. i took a $10,000 pay raise moving to boston and now i make $15,000 more

The_Philster
08-24-2006, 08:24 PM
one more option missing. Never left because I never lived there and never will .
You're in Rochester, though..by Buffalo, I believe Eb means WNY as a whole...Eb doesn't live in Buffalo if you wanna get technical about it

L.A. Playa
08-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Economic, weather and the psychosocial enviroment

justasportsfan
08-24-2006, 08:28 PM
. if you wanna get technical about itI do. :mad:

L.A. Playa
08-24-2006, 08:29 PM
so i would technically vote for 3 options there if i could

justasportsfan
08-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Let's put it this way, wouldn't want to live in WNY if I were a young adult.

I will make sure I will raise my family here so I wouldn't have to kick them out when they are 18. They'll do it all by themselves :up:

billsburgh
08-24-2006, 08:32 PM
went to school in Pa and met my wife who is from pgh and stayed here. also it doesnt hurt that I make more money in pgh than I was in Rochester doing the same thing.

Captain gameboy
08-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Though absent since I left for college at 17, (other than regular visits), the election of the junior senator burried any chance of my eventual return.
I simply cannot exist in the same state as her.

I suspect there are a few businesses that feel similarly.

L.A. Playa
08-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Though absent since I left for college at 17, (other than regular visits), the election of the junior senator burried any chance of my eventual return.

dont worry she will have a higher position in a couple of years LOL JK JK

DraftBoy
08-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Dad got transferred out, currently looking for jobs to get back

OpIv37
08-24-2006, 09:33 PM
mine was sort of both economic and family reasons (and technically it was Rochester, not Buffalo)- my wife and I met on an internship in DC so we both already had connections for jobs in this area. She could have moved to Rochester, but what is a native Spanish speaker with a political science degree from Puerto Rico going to do in Rochester? (For that matter, what was I going to do with a political science degree in Rochester other than work for the county for 21k a year?)

Similarly, with almost no Spanish and a political science degree from Fredonia, what would I possibly do in Puerto Rico? Hell, even native Puerto Ricans who get college degrees and stay in PR often end up working at Costco or Super Wal-Mart.

For us, it just made the most sense to go to DC since one or both of us would have struggled in either of our hometowns.

OpIv37
08-24-2006, 09:34 PM

ha- that's one thing I DON'T miss about living in NY. I'm very happy that Hilary Clinton is NOT my senator.

ajsdx
08-24-2006, 09:51 PM
combination...my mom threatened to leave my dad if we didn't move to a warmer state, my dad finished up his degree from UB, and got a much better offer from a school down south, where i lived for pretty much all my life until now. i'm going to school in boston, where i suspect it will be almost as bad during the winters as it used to be in buffalo!

FinFaninBuffalo
08-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Well, I've lived in the Buffalo area my whole life (West Seneca & Grand Island). I always tell people that it is a great place to live if you have a good job. I live in a house with waterfront property and a 100x500 foot lot. That house in the Boston area would be several million dollars. I've never been unemployed. If it happens, I might have to go elsewhere. Until then, the cost of living in WNY is quite low compared to many areas of the country.

I took up skiing last winter with my 12 year old son. It made the winter much more enjoyable. I'll take an area with beautiful summers, lots of things to do, good schools, etc.

How many places in the country can you go boating in the summer and skiiing in the winter within 20 minutes of each other? Oh, and its affordable.

Dozerdog
08-24-2006, 11:18 PM
I knocked up a mobster's daughter in high school. I was outta there

clumping platelets
08-24-2006, 11:49 PM

:goodpost:

tampabay25690
08-25-2006, 12:20 AM
WOW WOW WOW

Where do I start. Well my wife is from Syracuse and I grew up in Buffalo/Cheektowaga my whole life. We both work in the Hospitality industry I am a CHEF and she worked at a Hotel chain in Buffalo then they transferred her to TAMPA........

The money in Buffalo sucks real bad jobs were very scarce unless u owned your own business, worked at Dunlop, GM, Ford, any of the big industries.......Dont get me wrong I miss it everyday.....But here in Florida the sun shines everyday you can golf everyday, and the girls are unbelievable down here. There is loads of $$$$ in this state and you actually make $$ on your house. Taxes are cheap, and the pay is very good here ......

Will I ever move back to Buffalo......If I made a load of $$ and could live in Buffalo half the year and Florida half the year.....

Buffalo will always be my home, but Tampa is where I make my $$$$ and is where I call home now....

Captain gameboy
08-25-2006, 05:03 AM
Well, I've lived in the Buffalo area my whole life (West Seneca & Grand Island). I always tell people.........

What do you tell them when they ask how you became a Dolphin fan?

LtFinFan66
08-25-2006, 06:46 AM
He tells them that the light bulb came on nice and bright and stayed on :up:

EricStratton
08-25-2006, 07:07 AM
5 Days after I graduated college my parents moved to Florida. My brother had a couch I could sleep on in New Jersey, I started working here and my college girlfriend got a pharmaceutical research job here so we stayed.

We both talk about moving to WNY all the time now that we have kids and once I finish my teaching degree we just may do that.