X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgun12
    • Jul 2002

Teams and Tags

I was just wondering, with the unusually large amount of tags used this year, did the General Managers get together and decide to hold down salaries?
    I know you are saying hold down salaries? Yes this is why I say it, a tag give the player a raise to the top 5 or 10 (depending on the tag) of that position from LAST years salaries right? Well it seems like the GM's put the tags on arguably the best player at each position, Spikes, Price, Pace and on an on. What this does I think is this, the bar is set to the best player, no team will pay more for a tagged or lesser player at that position.
    So affectively they held salaries for this year at or below last years scale.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

I doubt that they got together on this but I do think it may curb the rising cost of players just a bit. Not by much though.
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Cntrygal
      Visually stunning but camera-shy.
      • Jul 2002

They should agree on something to keep the salaries from getting any more outrageous than they already are.
      Originally posted by notacon
      The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• Bufftp
        Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

I think this could have a reverse effect. Less players in the pool driving up their salarys, and setting the bar even higher next year.
        Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
        "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
        Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
        - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
        to be led by permanent ideals -
        that is what keeps a man patient
        when the world ignores him,
        and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• HotRod
          Addicted to squares...
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Bufftp
          I think this could have a reverse effect. Less players in the pool driving up their salarys, and setting the bar even higher next year.
          I hope you're wrong about this.

Comment

• Bufftp
            Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

I hope I am too Hotrod, and good news I usually am.
            Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
            "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
            Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
            - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
            to be led by permanent ideals -
            that is what keeps a man patient
            when the world ignores him,
            and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• kgun12
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bufftp
              Buff The reason I think it will help keep prices down is that teams won't pay more for a guy than the franchise tag is worth; ie PP is going to make $5 million for being franchise tagged right. I don't think an team will pay more than that for a lesser player, like Dyson. Maybe close to that number for Boston but I still don't think any team will pay more. That why I say this years player for last years prices, and if it hold true next years players for last years prices.
              Retired Air Traffic Controller
              USAF VETERAN
              DAV

Comment

Working...
              X