PDA

View Full Version : Teams and Tags

kgun12
02-23-2003, 01:08 PM
I was just wondering, with the unusually large amount of tags used this year, did the General Managers get together and decide to hold down salaries?
I know you are saying hold down salaries? Yes this is why I say it, a tag give the player a raise to the top 5 or 10 (depending on the tag) of that position from LAST years salaries right? Well it seems like the GM's put the tags on arguably the best player at each position, Spikes, Price, Pace and on an on. What this does I think is this, the bar is set to the best player, no team will pay more for a tagged or lesser player at that position.
So affectively they held salaries for this year at or below last years scale.

The_Philster
02-23-2003, 01:54 PM
I doubt that they got together on this but I do think it may curb the rising cost of players just a bit. Not by much though.

Cntrygal
02-23-2003, 04:02 PM
They should agree on something to keep the salaries from getting any more outrageous than they already are.

Bufftp
02-23-2003, 04:13 PM
I think this could have a reverse effect. Less players in the pool driving up their salarys, and setting the bar even higher next year.

HotRod
02-23-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Bufftp
I think this could have a reverse effect. Less players in the pool driving up their salarys, and setting the bar even higher next year.

I hope you're wrong about this. :(

Bufftp
02-23-2003, 06:43 PM
I hope I am too Hotrod, and good news I usually am.

kgun12
02-23-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Bufftp

Buff The reason I think it will help keep prices down is that teams won't pay more for a guy than the franchise tag is worth; ie PP is going to make $5 million for being franchise tagged right. I don't think an team will pay more than that for a lesser player, like Dyson. Maybe close to that number for Boston but I still don't think any team will pay more. That why I say this years player for last years prices, and if it hold true next years players for last years prices.