PDA

View Full Version : Cut Holcomb? He's worth something

ghz in pittsburgh
08-25-2006, 03:30 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2560829&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dpasquarelli_len%26id%3d2560829

Arguably the worst-kept secret in the league is that third-year veteran J.P. Losman, a first-round pick in 2004, has won the Buffalo Bills' starting quarterback job. In fact, those who have watched the alleged competition between Losman and journeyman Kelly Holcomb up-close insist that it wasn't even close. A somewhat controversial pick in 2004, Losman has demonstrated more maturity, and might yet vindicate the decision of deposed general manager Tom Donahoe to choose him with the 22nd overall selection in '04.

It will be interesting to see how the Bills handle Holcomb's situation. There are several teams still hoping to shore up their backup situation before the season starts, who view Holcomb as a good fit, and who likely would part with a low-round draft choice to acquire him. The Indianapolis Colts snooped around Holcomb earlier in the spring and, if the shoulder problems that plagued No. 2 quarterback Jim Sorgi throughout the offseason linger a while longer, might take another look at him. Dealing the much-traveled 10th-year veteran, however, would leave the Bills perilously shy of talent, with Craig Nall and Kliff Kingsbury the likely backups to Losman. New (but very old) general manager Marv Levy probably isn't inclined to trade Holcomb, but he might have more than a few suitors for him in the next week or so.

Ebenezer
08-25-2006, 03:32 PM
he'd be perfect in New Orleans.

justasportsfan
08-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Aha, I could be right in thinking that this is the reason why they want to take a closer look at Nall tomorrow. They want to see if he's good enough to back up JP so they can let KH go.

PS I hope JP learned from KH how to hard counts which was KH biggest asset.

Meathead
08-25-2006, 04:00 PM
looks like he did considering ive seen him use that several times including this preseason

of course holcomb has value. regardless of this current slump hes in hes a competant nfl quarterback you can usually rely on for a steady performance at a minimum. that certainly has value

until nall has some significant game time theres no way you can say hes a better choice on the field. i would be pissed if they just let holcomb walk

ICE74129
08-25-2006, 04:08 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2560829&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dpasquarelli_len%26id%3d2560829

Arguably the worst-kept secret in the league is that third-year veteran J.P. Losman, a first-round pick in 2004, has won the Buffalo Bills' starting quarterback job. In fact, those who have watched the alleged competition between Losman and journeyman Kelly Holcomb up-close insist that it wasn't even close. A somewhat controversial pick in 2004, Losman has demonstrated more maturity, and might yet vindicate the decision of deposed general manager Tom Donahoe to choose him with the 22nd overall selection in '04.

It will be interesting to see how the Bills handle Holcomb's situation. There are several teams still hoping to shore up their backup situation before the season starts, who view Holcomb as a good fit, and who likely would part with a low-round draft choice to acquire him. The Indianapolis Colts snooped around Holcomb earlier in the spring and, if the shoulder problems that plagued No. 2 quarterback Jim Sorgi throughout the offseason linger a while longer, might take another look at him. Dealing the much-traveled 10th-year veteran, however, would leave the Bills perilously shy of talent, with Craig Nall and Kliff Kingsbury the likely backups to Losman. New (but very old) general manager Marv Levy probably isn't inclined to trade Holcomb, but he might have more than a few suitors for him in the next week or so.

Call up polian. Ask for a 5th or so. Hell if they give us two boxes of tape for the guy TAKE IT!

clumping platelets
08-25-2006, 04:15 PM
I'd rather have the 5th :D

Typ0
08-26-2006, 06:57 AM
why do people have such hatred for KH?

The_Philster
08-26-2006, 07:22 AM
cause he's reportedly a locker room lawyer/cancer/Flutie

djjimkelly
08-26-2006, 08:20 AM

for me its really simple. he interfered with the proper development of our franchise. becuz of him our starter has 8 less starts under his belt. i know it wasnt his fault mularky was a fool.

however my prob with holcomb lies in the fact holcomb gets credit for wins when the team won games. he was never good in buffalo not for 1 down. he led us to a big upset of cincy when in reality special teams and a mcgee pick won that game

pardon me maybe on the downs he handed the ball off

X-Era
08-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Aha, I could be right in thinking that this is the reason why they want to take a closer look at Nall tomorrow. They want to see if he's good enough to back up JP so they can let KH go.

PS I hope JP learned from KH how to hard counts which was KH biggest asset.

I was thinking the same thing.

X-Era
08-26-2006, 09:21 AM

I have NO hatred for Homclomb.

I also have very little reason if any to believe he is the guy who would lead us to the playoffs or SB. Is JP? maybe, time will tell. JP has the physical ability to become just that, but most do a whole lot of hard learning on the field.

Now, why would I want KH gone?

1) To permanently kill any opportunity to "go with the vet". Like it or lump it, we NEED to suffer through on the field trials of our young QB, and maybe yet another one if he fails. The last thing we need is another spineless HC pulling the plug after 3 games and prolonging the pain.

2) He has done a whole lot of NOTHING at this point. I think we are about to see that Nall can be a capable backup. If so, what the hell is the point in having KH? as our 3rd QB? Thats silly.

3) I think as in #1, there is some truth to the fact that the players will be shortsighted at times and wish for the vet. Just like the fans and the front office, the players ahve to exercise patience as well. Having KH gone kills that opportunity.

Now, if the Kerry Collins rumor is true, cutting KH simply replaces one vet with another. KC actually has doen more in his career, so he would be even MORE enticing as "the vet" to put in if and when JP makes mistakes. Thats why I am NOT a fan of cutting KH and signing KC.

All I want is to build this franchise into a perennial winner with a stud QB at the helm. Most recent success in the league shows us that its wise to go with a homegrown 1st round QB, if not a homegrown QB from any round.

If we play the spineless "put int the vet" game, we NEVER build our own QB and we perpetually have a average vet carousel at QB, with young prospects sitting the bench due to our impatience. By the way, our record through that sort of mess is most likely a non-playoff record. But in two maybe even one year, we could have a bonafide playoff team, with a talent filled QB that could win DESPITE the team at times, rather than BECAUSE of it (the difference between an average vet and a bonafide talented QB).

Its not a hatred of KH, its a hatred for career backup vets on this team, really more a hatred for what they represent, a "put in the vet" mentality to kills any growth toward the future at a critical position.