PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Dolphins GM upset players not running at combine

PA Season Ticket Holder
02-23-2003, 02:18 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- Miami Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman watched in dismay Saturday as 16 running backs lined up at the NFL's annual scouting combine, and only four ran the 40-yard dash.

"I think that's a total embarrassment for the players and their agents," Spielman said. "That is one of the most embarrassing things to see."

It's common for players to show up for the combine and go through the medical checks. Some lift weights or throw, but few of the highly regarded prospects run, on the advice of their agents. Also, the RCA Dome turf has been deemed a "slow track."

Spielman said if the Dolphins had two players rated equally on their draft board, they would take a player who worked out at the combine over one who did not.

He also disputed the supposed slowness of the RCA Dome surface after Southern California running back Justin Fargas twice ran a 4.31 Friday -- a surprising time that probably will improve his draft status.

In Saturday morning's workout, Spielman said only two halfbacks ran -- Florida State's Nick Maddox and South Carolina State's Derek Watson. Two fullbacks, Western Kentucky's Jeremi Johnson and Stanford's Casey Moore, also ran.

Spielman was still upset late in the afternoon.

"A couple of other guys worked out, but those were the only four who had enough competitiveness to run," Spielman said.

MORE (http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6205779)

Brian H
02-23-2003, 02:47 PM
I'd like to see his slow @ss run ........

HotRod
02-23-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder
Spielman said if the Dolphins had two players rated equally on their draft board, they would take a player who worked out at the combine over one who did not.

Disgusting as it sounds, I agree with him. If I had two players rated equally, I'd take the one that worked out also. The combine sounds like it's turned into a media circus and is a waste of time.

TigerJ
02-23-2003, 06:44 PM
Two things that GMs still find useful at the combine (at least according to TD) are the medical exam and the interview. Still, it's too bad that agents have to stick their noses into the whole business of trying to evaluate talent. Let them negotiate contracts and get their noses out of the rest of it.