PDA

View Full Version : While I am a JP fan

THATHURMANATOR
08-26-2006, 09:06 AM
If JP gets hurt or totally blows I am not confident in Nall ball.

X-Era
08-26-2006, 09:45 AM

I guess its a question of whats more risky:

Risk 1) Losing a playoff shot by not having a boafide backup if JP gets hurt. Does JP get hurt with us in contention for something tangible like a wild card spot meaning we need a solid backup to keep us in contention?

Id say that seems unlikely, if we go the 6 and 10 or even 8 and 8, we have no real shot, so what do we lose by playing another young QB? if we are losing anyways, its no loss in not having KH.

Risk 2) JP gets hurt which spurs the "put in the vet-ers". And we repeat our mess from last year. Thats the WORST thing that can happen. We need to play JP to give him a true evaluation so we can either move on or feel strong at QB. That NEVER happens if we have a vet who can look decent at times, either inserted by injury or poor play from JP.

JP will look mediocre this year as he learns. Thats the most likely scenario. For how long? all of us hope it doesnt happen at all, but it likely will, how long does it take for him to "get it"? could be he never gets it. But, having another solid or even average option that WILL look like the better option at times will be too enticing to resist and plunges us down last years road.

To me, Id rather have another youngster (Nall) at QB in case of injury and kill any chance we go through the PITV (put in the vet) scenario even if it means losing. I say this because I think its most likely a non-playoff year. Sh-t it may mean an even higher draft pick. Remember last year?

That one win by Holcomb against Cinnci, dropped us back 5 spots from 3 to 8, with a 4 and 12 record we would have had the 3 pick.

That would have meant Reggie Bush would have been 1 pick from us, we could have had D'Brick. Or even Vince Young (im not that sold on him).

My version, cut or trade KH, DONT bring in Collins. Make Nall our backup. If JP plays great, great. If JP plays poorly, we will still give him a full year, theres no vet to look like a better option. If JP gets hurt, we arent in contention for the playoffs, we play Nall, and we lose. Yes that sucks but we get a higher draft pick in a non-playoff year.

The only way this doesnt work is if JP plays great, we are in playoff contention, and then he gets hurt meaning we have to start Nall and we lose our shot at the playoffs. I just see that as an unlikely scenario.

shelby
08-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Kelly and Reich spoiled us.:mad:

OpIv37
08-26-2006, 03:30 PM

you know, I remember towards the end of Kelly's career- 95, 96- he was slow, taking a lot of sacks, and just didn't have the accuracy he once did. Bills fans were calling for his head, myself included.

This QB cluster**** since Kelly left has completely renewed my appreciation of Jim Kelly and what he accomplished with this team.

ICE74129
08-26-2006, 04:22 PM

And no one is confident in Holcomb.

MDFINFAN
08-26-2006, 04:27 PM

Have you seen Nall play any 1st teams D this preseason?

djjimkelly
08-26-2006, 04:42 PM
thats why we can always sign a street FA in losman was to get truly hurt. holcomb needs to go!!!!

don137
08-26-2006, 06:41 PM
I'd take Kelly today over Holcomb...

Earthquake Enyart
08-28-2006, 07:29 AM
NALL BALL BABY!!

C'mon thurm. :mad:

Night Train
08-28-2006, 07:36 AM
Nall can run most of the Offense Fairchild wishes to run with JP.

Holcomb can't and the opposing D will stack the line against the Bills.

Turn the page.

Historian
08-28-2006, 07:54 AM

Ahem!

It's my job to say that.

:D

ibatiger
08-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Nall can run most of the Offense Fairchild wishes to run with JP.

Holcomb can't and the opposing D will stack the line against the Bills.

Turn the page.

There are not too many plays that Fairchild would call for Losman and not Nall. I can only think of two. Losman would definitely be more effective on the QB draw and also some bootleg plays where he would be expected to run. I'm not minimizing the advantage that Losman gives us in those areas, but within the overall picture of pluses and minuses of the QBs that may not be that big a deal.

madness
08-28-2006, 10:46 AM
It's because Holcomb is the 'ex-boyfriend/girlfriend' to JP fanatics. They believe the more he's around, the more he has a chance to **** up their wet dream.

It's obvious the more talented your bench is the better off a team is. As long as coaches don't back out of keeping JP #1 (which they won't), it's a nice insurance policy having Nall and Holcomb on the bench in case JP goes down. As long as Holcomb is fine with being #3, there's a spot on this roster for him. Both had their shot at #1... Holcomb failed miserably and Nall's injury hurt him since JP kicked it into second gear just as Nall was warming up.

JP's the starter and Nall and Holcomb are fighting it out for the 2 spot. That leaves us with a promising QB with a huge upside at #1 and two scrappy, veterans backing him up. Everybody should be happy about those circumstances.

HHURRICANE
08-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Holcomb can go as long as we sign another #2. Nall didn't impress me on Saturday night!!

Night Train
08-28-2006, 04:28 PM
There are not too many plays that Fairchild would call for Losman and not Nall. I can only think of two. Losman would definitely be more effective on the QB draw and also some bootleg plays where he would be expected to run. I'm not minimizing the advantage that Losman gives us in those areas, but within the overall picture of pluses and minuses of the QBs that may not be that big a deal.

Agreed. But footwork/mobility is a huge advantage to Losman. Nall needs to get rid of it sooner, since he doesn't move as well. But he can get the ball deep...Thank God.

His problem has been one good pass, followed by one bad. It may just mean more reps but we'll find out if Losman gets hurt.

ibatiger
08-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Agreed. But footwork/mobility is a huge advantage to Losman. Nall needs to get rid of it sooner, since he doesn't move as well. But he can get the ball deep...Thank God.

His problem has been one good pass, followed by one bad. It may just mean more reps but we'll find out if Losman gets hurt.

Saturday Night he didn't have too many bad ones accorting to the radio guys. And they only talked about one pass where he held on too long-the interception. I didn't actually see anything but the highlights though and they didn't show too much of Nall. I don't think they even showed the 56 yarder to Wilson.

Anyway, they talked about a couple of bad drops (they also said there was one for Losman) including one that would have likely been a TD. I think that was on the drive where we scored anyway. Did you notice that when Nall needs 10 yards, 15 yards or whatever on third down that he throws to somebody who is far enough down the field to get the first? His third/fourth down conversion rate in all games he's played in (preseason and regular season) is very high. He just somehow just manages to move the chains.

Risin
08-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Saturday Night he didn't have too many bad ones accorting to the radio guys. And they only talked about one pass where he held on too long-the interception. I didn't actually see anything but the highlights though and they didn't show too much of Nall. I don't think they even showed the 56 yarder to Wilson.

Anyway, they talked about a couple of bad drops (they also said there was one for Losman) including one that would have likely been a TD. I think that was on the drive where we scored anyway. Did you notice that when Nall needs 10 yards, 15 yards or whatever on third down that he throws to somebody who is far enough down the field to get the first? His third/fourth down conversion rate in all games he's played in (preseason and regular season) is very high. He just somehow just manages to move the chains.

He will make a great career backup.