PDA

View Full Version : We Are Wearing Throwbacks Tonight

gr8slayer
08-26-2006, 10:12 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060826/1023429.asp

gr8slayer
08-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Tonight's preseason game will be the first of three appearances this year by the Bills in their throwback jerseys.

The Bills will sport their 1960s-era royal blue jerseys in their regular-season opener against the New York Jets on Sept. 24. They will wear them again at home against the San Diego Chargers on Dec. 3, according to the NFL.

The Bills are one of 13 NFL teams that will sport a third jersey during the season. San Diego and San Francisco are the others that will wear throwbacks - jersey styles that the team wore in past seasons. The rest wear a "modern" third jersey. For instance, New England will wear a silver jersey for one game.• • •

Bills coach Dick Jauron said it will be a game-time decision whether linebacker Takeo Spikes plays tonight against Cleveland. Spikes, returning from an Achilles tendon tear, saw his most practice time of the summer this week and looked good in extensive pass coverage work.

"We've had to hold him back the whole way," Jauron said. "If he doesn't play it won't be because he doesn't want to."

Jauron said he wants to get Spikes some game action before the season opener. He also said he is confident Spikes will be ready to play in the opener.

"I do feel pretty good about that at this point, the way he's moving," Jauron said.

Spikes said he doesn't necessarily have to play in preseason.

"Regardless of whether we're playing preseason games or being out here at practice, I feel like if I can come out here and get it done every day in practice, especially this last week, then I'll be fine going into the regular season," he said. "Believe me, I want to play. But my focus is on Sept. 10, not Aug. 26."

• • •

Charlie Frye, the Akron product and third-round draft choice from 2005, has locked down the starting quarterback job for Cleveland. The backup job is up for grabs. University of Miami product Ken Dorsey was No. 2 the first two preseason games. Derek Anderson, a second-year Oregon State product, gets his shot to back up Frye tonight.

The Browns are 1-1, having lost to Philadelphia (20-7) and beaten Detroit (20-16).

• • •

The presence of nose tackle Ted Washington in the middle of the Browns' 3-4 defense will present a good test for the Bills' running game. Washington, the former Bills star, is 38 years old and in his 16th year. He has been one of the Browns' best players in training camp.

With Washington on the field the first two exhibitions, the Browns defense has allowed 27 yards on 21 rushes.

• • •

The Browns may be without starting receiver Braylon Edwards and starting linebacker Willie McGinest. Edwards, the No. 1 pick of 2005, is coming back from torn knee ligaments. He has practiced fully but not seen game action yet. McGinest (sore elbow) hasn't seen game action, either.

• • •

The first 14,000 fans 14-and-under through the gates tonight will receive a free stopwatch. The game also will feature a special halftime show and postgame fireworks.

mybills
08-26-2006, 10:25 AM
For instance, New England will wear a silver jersey for one game.
That's just gay! :rofl:

Night Train
08-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Excellent ! I'll wear my new Throwback McGee jersey that I bought at camp.:beers:

shelby
08-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Sweetness! i love the throwback jerseys!
:gobills:

RedEyE
08-26-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm wearing my throwback thong tonight.

mybills
08-26-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm wearing my throwback thong tonight.
:rofl: Just what do you throw back to wear it?

RedEyE
08-26-2006, 11:58 AM
:rofl: Just what do you throw back to wear it?

I don't like tucking. It gets the tip dirty sometimes.

mybills
08-26-2006, 12:00 PM
:spit:

Ebenezer
08-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Sweetness! i love the throwback jerseys!
:gobills:
they should just make the switch permanent...rid the team of another page of the TD-era.

Mr. Cynical
08-26-2006, 12:19 PM
I reeeealy hope the chargers wear their tbacks when they play us in our tbacks. That would seriouisly look awesome and get tons of attention!

Ebenezer
08-26-2006, 12:20 PM
I reeeealy hope the chargers wear their tbacks when they play us in our tbacks. That would seriouisly look awesome and get tons of attention!
another team that should switch back...Denver should be next...can't stand those new unis.

Mr. Cynical
08-26-2006, 12:30 PM
another team that should switch back...Denver should be next...can't stand those new unis.

Actually I like the current Broncos unis. However, they are the only team to get the stripe on the jersey to flow well into the pants. We on the other hand have an abortion in that regard.

My vote for the team that needs to bring back their classic unis: New England.

Sam Patriot was effing cool. Their current unis look like USFL rejects.

My vote for the team to NEVER bring back their classic unis: Tampa Bay.

Whew...those were some ugly ass colors..maroon and sherbet orange.

Ebenezer
08-26-2006, 12:32 PM
Actually I like the current Broncos unis. However, they are the only team to get the stripe on the jersey to flow well into the pants. We on the other hand have an abortion in that regard.

My vote for the team that needs to bring back their classic unis: New England.

Sam Patriot was effing cool. Their current unis look like USFL rejects.

My vote for the team to NEVER bring back their classic unis: Tampa Bay.

Whew...those were some ugly ass colors..maroon and sherbet orange.
I agree on NE...in fact all former AFL teams should be wearing their AFL jerseys...

yes, TB should never go back...Minnesota might consider going back next.

mybills
08-26-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't like tucking. It gets the tip dirty sometimes.
hmmm, Phil and mush both tuck. :scratch:

~CHIEF~
08-26-2006, 12:34 PM
The throwback Evans jersey is def. coming out tonight!

Mr. Cynical
08-26-2006, 12:36 PM
I agree on NE...in fact all former AFL teams should be wearing their AFL jerseys...

yes, TB should never go back...Minnesota might consider going back next.

Have the vikings' unis really changed that much? I haven't really noticed except maybe a deeper purple...which seems to be where eveyone goes...soon we'll all be in effing black.

That's why our tbacks need to be permanent. Bright and contrasty, yet not ghey.

Mr. Cynical
08-26-2006, 12:37 PM
hmmm, Phil and mush both tuck. :scratch:

I coil.

Ebenezer
08-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Have the vikings' unis really changed that much? I haven't really noticed except maybe a deeper purple...which seems to be where eveyone goes...soon we'll all be in effing black.

That's why our tbacks need to be permanent. Bright and contrasty, yet not ghey.
they added a yellow accent stripe :puke:

Earthquake Enyart
08-26-2006, 01:06 PM
The Browns are wearing their throwbacks too.

Oh wait, they were never dumb enough to change them.