PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find it odd...

OpIv37
08-26-2006, 10:49 AM
that as of yesterday, Spikes was still listed as day-to-day for tonight's game? Do they honestly expect us to believe that after 11 MONTHS of recovery, an additional 24-36 hours is going to be the difference in whether or not he's ready to go?

This is some kind of PR game- there is one of two things going on:

1. They've known Spikes is ready for a while, and they're playing this game to give the public appearance of careful deliberation before putting him on the field.

2. They know he won't be ready, but he's trying to make the fans more confident that he will be ready for the opener in NE. "Well, I was almost ready two weeks ago, and now I've had two additional weeks of rehab and conditioning. "

LtFinFan66
08-26-2006, 10:53 AM
:idunno:

RedEyE
08-26-2006, 10:54 AM
3.) They're not taking any chances and resting him so he's fresh for regular season.

mybills
08-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Spikes said he'll be ready for the opener. That's all I care about.

OpIv37
08-26-2006, 11:03 AM
3.) They're not taking any chances and resting him so he's fresh for regular season.

if that were the case, why BS by listing him as day-to-day for the PS game? Hence, my second option

RedEyE
08-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Seriously, I'm not trying to be funny or condescending. The preseason is already too long as is. Right now the Bills know that a healthy Spikes is going to start.

They need to use this time to see what the rest of the "unknown" players are capable of. The roster has to be trimmed to 65 players by COB Tuesday and down to 53 the following week.

OpIv37
08-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Spikes said he'll be ready for the opener. That's all I care about.

well of course he's going to say that- it doesn't make it true. He's not going to publicly admit that he won't be ready.

And being recovered enough to play is different from being ready to play. He may be on the field, but without any full-contact practice in preseason games, he won't be ready and it will show.

mybills
08-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Didn't somebody say he IS practicing? :scratch:

ParanoidAndroid
08-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Spikes will make his comeback in the opener, and Bruschi will make his comeback in the opener. It will make for an interesting story and the more they set it up, the better. Even if they play a little in the last pre-season game or 2, only the regular season matters.
As far as being listed day-to-day, that's just how they do it when it comes down to a player-coach game day decision.
Takeo has said several times that he wants to get out there and play, but he is resisting that urge. The doctors have cleared him to play, he's been practicing, and his conditioning is coming along. If he wants more conditioning time before he gets into a game situation, then that's just being smart. It's the players that come in out of shape that get the injuries for the most part.
If the flexibility in that calf is not where it should be, the doctors would not clear him to play.

RedEyE
08-26-2006, 11:10 AM
The media serioulsy hypes this **** up more then it needs to be.

Philagape
08-26-2006, 11:32 AM
The media serioulsy hypes this **** up more then it needs to be.

So do threads like this

OpIv37
08-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Seriously, I'm not trying to be funny or condescending. The preseason is already too long as is. Right now the Bills know that a healthy Spikes is going to start.

They need to use this time to see what the rest of the "unknown" players are capable of. The roster has to be trimmed to 65 players by COB Tuesday and down to 53 the following week.

so, you think Spikes can come in and play at an NFL level after almost a year of no-full contact play? Somehow I doubt it.

OpIv37
08-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Didn't somebody say he IS practicing? :scratch:

NFL teams never practice full speed/full contact because of the risk of injury. Playing in a real game where 300 lb O-linemen and 275 lb fullbacks are trying to run straight through him is completely different than when they push him once and then let up.

OpIv37
08-26-2006, 01:11 PM
No one has answered my initial question: what's the point of listing Spikes day-to-day other than a PR gimmick?

Philagape
08-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Who gives a crap what they say now? This is something Patti would ask. It probably just depends on how it's feeling today. Of all the things ... a nonspecific term regarding a preseason game two weeks before the opener ...

mybills
08-26-2006, 01:22 PM
No one has answered my initial question: what's the point of listing Spikes day-to-day other than a PR gimmick?
I believe the rest of us are trying to tell you that there is no conspiracy theory here. He IS day to day. They're NOT going to come right out and announce that he's playing a preseason game, nor are they going to say that he's NOT going to. I think it all depends on his regular practice. But really, why chance it?

OpIv37
08-26-2006, 01:29 PM
I believe the rest of us are trying to tell you that there is no conspiracy theory here. He IS day to day. They're NOT going to come right out and announce that he's playing a preseason game, nor are they going to say that he's NOT going to. I think it all depends on his regular practice. But really, why chance it?

if he's ready, it's no more of a chance than playing any other starter. By your logic, why play any starters at all?

Once again, you "chance" it because he needs to practice at full-speed, full-contact because that's how the games are played. That's why all the starters see at least some preseason action despite the risk of injury and the need to evaluate the guys at the other end of the roster.

And honestly, how can the day-to-day thing make any sense at all to you? If he wasn't ready from an 11 month recovery yesterday, how much difference can 24 hours make? We're not talking about turf toe or a sore hamstring here.

OpIv37
08-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Who gives a crap what they say now? This is something Patti would ask. It probably just depends on how it's feeling today. Of all the things ... a nonspecific term regarding a preseason game two weeks before the opener ...

if no one gives a crap, why did the FO say it at all?

Jauron733
08-26-2006, 01:33 PM

From what I've heard and can deduce is that they're listing him day to day because they want him to get some full speed action before the regular season for his own self confidence and to make sure he's really prepared to be out there. The doctors are probably all telling Spikes and the coaches that he's ready to play too. The day-to-day gives them the wiggle room where if Spikes isn't feeling up to it, or something doesn't seem exactly right, he won't be like a surprise inactive.
There's just no conspiracy here. If there was it would probably be the lamest and most pointless one that I can think of.

mybills
08-26-2006, 01:35 PM
if he's ready, it's no more of a chance than playing any other starter. By your logic, why play any starters at all?

Once again, you "chance" it because he needs to practice at full-speed, full-contact because that's how the games are played. That's why all the starters see at least some preseason action despite the risk of injury and the need to evaluate the guys at the other end of the roster.

And honestly, how can the day-to-day thing make any sense at all to you? If he wasn't ready from an 11 month recovery yesterday, how much difference can 24 hours make? We're not talking about turf toe or a sore hamstring here.
OMG! Answer me this...would you rather see him go down in a ps game when they're not 100% positive, or a reg game when he's had MORE time to recover, which increases his odds of NOT going down in flames?
It's not about 24 hours, yet another week CAN make a difference.

OpIv37
08-26-2006, 01:39 PM
OMG! Answer me this...would you rather see him go down in a ps game when they're not 100% positive, or a reg game when he's had MORE time to recover, which increases his odds of NOT going down in flames?

First, you're saying that if they're not 100% positive, than he shouldn't be playing. That's fine with me, but don't ****ing list him as day to day then- just say he's not playing.

but to answer your question, honestly it's a tough call.

If he plays in the preseason, he may putting his recovery in jeopardy and he may not be on the field when the season starts.

If he doesn't play in the preseason, he'll be on the field but out of practice, combined with the fact that no one ever comes back 100% from this type of injury- he'll be there but he may hurt more than he helps.

Choose your poison.

OpIv37
08-26-2006, 01:41 PM
and btw the hyperbole around here is ridiculous sometimes.

There is a world of difference between an NFL FO playing PR games and a conspiracy.

RedEyE
08-26-2006, 01:41 PM
so, you think Spikes can come in and play at an NFL level after almost a year of no-full contact play? Somehow I doubt it.

I don't know? I think what it boils down to is stern honesty. Up until this week Spikes and the coaching staff clearly knew that he wasn't ready to perform 100%. Then about Wed/Thurs of this week he suddenly begins to look exceptionally good on the practice field. The coaches notice it, the media notices it, and most importantly Spikes acknowledges that he feels near ready to play.

But the question still lingers. Although the doctors clear him to play and Spikes thinks he's capable, does the mental portion of his rehabilitation meet the same standard as the physical?

Why take the chance? And truthfully, the coaches really don't doubt his ability. Their current primary concerns do not involve Spikes this week. Common sense says, list him DTD and he can go if need be, but rest him and let him push the limits a week from now.

OpIv37
08-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Why take the chance? And truthfully, the coaches really don't doubt his ability. Their current primary concerns do not involve Spikes this week. Coomon sense says, list him DTD and he can go if need be, but rest him and let him push the limits a week from now.

They don't doubt his ability because they can't- they don't have anyone to replace him with (not that they should, but I'm saying that they have to put him on the field so even if they had doubt, you wouldn't hear about it publicly and most likely the team wouldn't here about it either).

Common sense says that if there's any doubt, he's not playing. If he's listed as day to day, then there's doubt and he's not playing. So there's no point in listing him as day to day.

Philagape
08-26-2006, 01:46 PM
When it comes to a preseason game, "ready" is kind of an irrelevant term. Preseason "ready" is not the same as regular season "ready." And when it comes to major injuries, who here is qualified to say when he's "ready" or even what "ready" means? Maybe they know a little bit more about it than we do. Maybe they know it's not that simple. It's not like the Achilles fairy comes and declares the official completion of healing. It's not an exact science.
It's a good thing we're not Patriots fans; they'd REALLY drive some of us crazy with what they say about injuries. Teams issue statements because blood-sucking media leeches keep asking them, because the media leeches know there are some people out there who just look for something to whine about.
Day-to-day simply means it's a gametime decision. And when that game is a PRESEASON game two whole weeks before the opener, SO WHAT. They could say, "We've hidden Takeo in a dark mysterious hyperbolic chamber until he's ready to play," and I still wouldn't care until the opener. What words they use doesn't change his actual condition. And there's nothing we can do about it. So why should anyone care what words they use?

Philagape
08-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Maybe they do it so they can make fun of message board posters who go into a frenzy over it.

RedEyE
08-26-2006, 01:54 PM
They don't doubt his ability because they can't- they don't have anyone to replace him with (not that they should, but I'm saying that they have to put him on the field so even if they had doubt, you wouldn't hear about it publicly and most likely the team wouldn't here about it either).

Common sense says that if there's any doubt, he's not playing. If he's listed as day to day, then there's doubt and he's not playing. So there's no point in listing him as day to day.

I see your point, but I don't see the necessity in rushing him back on the field. This is a very serious injury that he is recovering from and a relapse could end his career or at the very least sit him a good portion of this season.

I have had football related injuries before. Leg injuries need to be paid especially close attention too. Once I had a serious lower calf pull and laid off it most of the season only to rush back too soon and pull the same muscle...on the opposite leg. It had felt good for some time, my doctor believed it was healed and I practiced well for a week, but I hadn't realized that by favoring the injured leg for so long that I set myself up injury on the other leg. I missed the entire season.

I know that the Bills medical staff and trainers have already taken this into consideration, but what I'm saying is giving it another week can't hurt anything.

It's a non-essential game.

shelby
08-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Maybe they do it so they can make fun of message board posters who go into a frenzy over it.
:rofl:

Op, it isn't the FO who's making the decision here; read on, brother:

Takeo Spikes' leg feels as strong as ever. It's his mind that's suddenly unsure.
The Buffalo Bills' two-time Pro Bowl linebacker, out since the third week of last season, has wavered this past week on whether he'll test his surgically repaired right Achilles' tendon for the first time in live action when Buffalo is host to Cleveland today.
<!-- /Summary -->First Spikes said maybe, then he said no, now it's anyone's guess. That left coach Dick Jauron to list Spikes as a game-time decision yesterday, saying it's up to the player to make the call.

LINK (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060826.NFLNOTES26-4/TPStory/TPSports/Football/)

:calm:

LtBillsFan66
08-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Get over this op.

Historian
08-27-2006, 06:27 AM

My guess OP, (and this is just a guess) is that with each practice, he goes a little bit harder. And afterwards, the medical staff is looking for:

swelling, puffiness, pain, stiffness, range of motion, etc...

When he goes 90%...they re-evaluate, when he goes 95%, they re-evaluate, again, and so on.

They probably did the same thing with Willis.

But again, that's just my theory.

shelby
08-27-2006, 07:14 AM
He looked pretty damn good to me!

Historian
08-27-2006, 07:17 AM
He looked pretty damn good to me!

And don't discount the mental lift that his presence gives to this team.

Just seeing him out there got me pumped.

The_Philster
08-27-2006, 07:31 AM
And don't discount the mental lift that his presence gives to this team.

Just seeing him out there got me pumped.
Ditto..and the way the crowd reacted when he made the first tackle from scrimmage...nothing short of electrifying

shelby
08-27-2006, 07:45 AM
http://assets.buffalobills.com/uploads/photo/FC9D6614E97642A89E61BDC6ED471A8C.jpg

HAMMER
08-27-2006, 08:13 AM
What a waste of time this thread is.

OpIv37
08-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Get over this op.

why? they totally bull****ted for no good reason- they knew he'd be ready to go.

This is the same type of stupid PR game that so many people here were so critical of Mularkey for playing.

OpIv37
08-27-2006, 09:39 AM
What a waste of time this thread is.
what a waste of time this comment is.

Philagape
08-27-2006, 11:18 AM
why? they totally bull****ted for no good reason- they knew he'd be ready to go.

This is the same type of stupid PR game that so many people here were so critical of Mularkey for playing.

Why is this an issue?

What difference does the FO's statements make in our lives? It doesn't change anything. A player will either play or not play regardless of what's said beforehand. They don't need a "good reason"; they can say anything they want. The team owes us nothing except what they do on the field.
In hindsight, this is nothing but silliness. TKO played, that's all that matters. What harm was done? Is anyone else offended? Anyone at all?

Plenty of teams give nonspecific statements about injuries, either because it's the nature of many injuries to really not know until gametime whether someone will play, or to play games with opponents. And that's all good. Why should anyone care? What possible reason is there to deceive fans? Especially about a preseason game? To get so riled up about a trivial thing like this is just ridiculous. It's the same mentality that conspiracy freaks have.

OpIv37
08-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Why is this an issue?

What difference does the FO's statements make in our lives? It doesn't change anything. A player will either play or not play regardless of what's said beforehand. They don't need a "good reason"; they can say anything they want. The team owes us nothing except what they do on the field.
In hindsight, this is nothing but silliness. TKO played, that's all that matters. What harm was done? Is anyone else offended? Anyone at all?

Plenty of teams give nonspecific statements about injuries, either because it's the nature of many injuries to really not know until gametime whether someone will play, or to play games with opponents. And that's all good. Why should anyone care? What possible reason is there to deceive fans? Especially about a preseason game? To get so riled up about a trivial thing like this is just ridiculous. It's the same mentality that conspiracy freaks have.

I see- so when Mularkey does this kind of thing because he thinks it gives him a psychological edge, it's a big joke.

But when Jauron/Levy do it, it's standard business practice. Got it.

Philagape
08-27-2006, 02:14 PM
I see- so when Mularkey does this kind of thing because he thinks it gives him a psychological edge, it's a big joke.

But when Jauron/Levy do it, it's standard business practice. Got it.

I never said a word about MM doing it. I didn't care then, and I don't care now.

HAMMER
08-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Maybe, but it was short so you didn't waste much time. Unlike your bickering with everyone else in the thread.

shelby
08-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Op, did you even read the article i posted? It was TKO's indecision that led Jauron to list him as uncertain. There was no ploy or conspiracy, TKO admitted he was undecided.

madness
08-27-2006, 05:01 PM

Then why'd you type it?