PDA

View Full Version : Time to fess up, what TANGIBLY do you want to

X-Era
08-26-2006, 10:49 AM
What would it takes for you to be a proud JP fan, and feel strongly that we are in good shape at QB at the end of this year? This assumes a FULL year of starting, and NO prolonged (more than one game) injury.

For me:

At a minimum, over 16 games, 417 attempts, 250 completions, an average of 60% completions, 3200 yards, 200 yards per game, 16 TD's, less than 10 INT's, if I did it right, thats a passers rating of: 86.8 according to

http://footballguys.com/qbrating.htm

Now, the intangibles would be, obvious increase in pocket presence and decision making. Im NOT including these in the goal metric because, I might see it different than someone else.

As far as the stats go, its possible to be higher in some categories and lower in others, how do we evaluate whether JP is what we need then? Well, Im still a fan of the passers rating. It only gets screwed up when the player didnt play all 16 games. If they play all of them, I think it should be the FINAL metric. If he plays all 16 and is 86.8 or better, I consider it a success.

That puts him about the same as Jake Plummers numbers for last year. Although Plummer has a slightly higher rating of 90.2. its about an average year. If anything, 3200 yards is a bit of a tough goal, as is 200 yards per. 200 per means some games with 300, some with 100. But I think its a challenge that a guy with a long ball, and a great young WR like Evans should be able to do.

Put your money where your mouths are, give me your goal stats for JP for this year. If reaches or exceeds them, will you stand firmly behind him next year?

RedEyE
08-26-2006, 11:11 AM
The only statistic I give a **** about is the one under the win column.

X-Era
08-26-2006, 11:13 AM
The only statistic I give a **** about is the one under the win column.

Wins come from a TEAM. We need a judge of JP.

If you want to hang wins and losses on JP, then using this caliper, its likely JP will fail as far as your concerned.

RedEyE
08-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Wins come from a TEAM. We need a judge of JP.

If you want to hang wins and losses on JP, then using this caliper, its likely JP will fail as far as your concerned.

Absolutely. I don't want to start up yet another Flutie debate, but this is the one thing that people never understood about Flutie:

He knew how to lead an offense to victory. The guy was winner, plain and simple. It may not have been pretty or according to plan, but he knew his teams abilities, his teammates strengthes and weaknesses focused on them and used that to his advantage. Did he win games by himself? No. But he was more successful at it then his replacements (thus far).

That's all I want to see from JP. I want to see drive, motivation and the ability that will eventually lead him to become a winner.

I don't care how many completitions he makes in a game as long as they win. As ong as he compensates for his mistakes and values the learning process rather than dwelling on it.

ParanoidAndroid
08-26-2006, 11:22 AM
I would like to see a less jittery JP, standing tall in the pocket and making quick decisions. He needs to not be so afraid to make mistakes. As far as statistics, I'm not as concerned about them, because if has a rough start and plays well the last 5 or 6 games, his stats my look poor. I said it in another thread....I would like to se him have that huge game as soon as possible. Just one game where he plays lights out and gets in a zone. It's kind of like riding a bike or snowboarding...once you know how it "feels," it gets easier from there.

X-Era
08-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Absolutely. I don't want to start up yet another Flutie debate, but this is the one thing that people never understood about Flutie:

He knew how to lead an offense to victory. The guy was winner, plain and simple. It may not have been pretty or according to plan, but he knew his teams abilities, his teammates strengthes and weaknesses focused on them and used that to his advantage. Did he win games by himself? No. But he was more successful at it then his replacements (thus far).

That's all I want to see from JP. I want to see drive, motivation and the ability that will eventually lead him to become a winner.

I don't care how many completitions he makes in a game as long as they win. As ong as he compensates for his mistakes and values the learning process rather than dwelling on it.

You and I agree, this post is meant to merely give us some sense of what fans want to see from him tangibly. A sense of a JP tracker, we have had a zillion posts of BS, lets get something on paper as a true goal. Lets get some data.

You and I may be here at the end of the season arguing that JP is showing signs of improvement, but there may be others that disagree, why not get a before the season look at what they want in stats, and see if he reaches it.

Id rather argue with facts than perspective. Lets see what us fans consider a season of success from JP as far as stats.

But yes, I agree, I want JP to be a winner and show it whether intangibly or tangibly.

Captain gameboy
08-26-2006, 11:33 AM
I want to see respect for his skill by opposing defenses, and that is not that difficult to notice if you are at the game.

I want him to make the simple throws accurately and get to about 80% of his physical skill potential.

The other thing I want is for the team to get behind him. To accelerate this, I hope if someone takes a late shot at him on a scramble/run, I hope he gets up and cold-***** them.
I would love for this to happen near the end of his time in a preseason game, but with the abuse this guy has taken about cockiness, dumbness etc., from the press, I hope he unloads on someone, and I hope the O-line comes in to back him up.

Like a baseball manager taking an ejection for the team, I hope JP gets nasty with someone this preseason.
I'm dead-ass tired of this QB and team getting dissed and its time something happened.

YardRat
08-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Progress and growth, and stats only measure a part of that.

I can't honestly throw up numbers and use that as a benchmark for JP...it's the intangibles that are more important.