PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Cleveland game

Mr. Cynical
08-26-2006, 08:22 PM
This close to the season I thought we would look more disciplined. The team just does not look very together...timing is off, there isn't any synergy, and the individual performances are not strong enough to overcome the lack of working as a team.

Still have some time to go but the team is far from firing on even 2 cylinders.

Nighthawk
08-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Read my post about the soft camp and I think we have our answer why. Team just doesn't look ready.

OpIv37
08-26-2006, 08:26 PM
This close to the season I thought we would look more disciplined. The team just does not look very together...timing is off, there isn't any synergy, and the individual performances are not strong enough to overcome the lack of working as a team.

I got the same impression from the posts here and the game stats, but I will withhold judgement until I see the game on Tuesday.

When a team loses by 3 points and had turnovers, penalties and drops, they beat themselves. In preseason, W/L isn't a big deal, but losses due to mistakes by the starters are cause for concern.

YardRat
08-26-2006, 08:27 PM
The penalties are worrisome, especially because most of them seem to come in the first half when the starters are on the field.

The defense, once again, looks lost on the first drive of the game...very similar to Gray's defense of two/three years ago. They tighten right up once they get into the flow though.

I thought the offensive line looked very good tonight.

YardRat
08-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Read my post about the soft camp and I think we have our answer why. Team just doesn't look ready.

Poor excuse...Levy had soft camps in the glory years.

Mr. Cynical
08-26-2006, 08:34 PM

The difference tho is that he had a team full of hall of famers. You can get away with soft camps if you have those kinds of players. Dick and Co. don't have anywhere near that level of talent on this team.

Nighthawk
08-26-2006, 08:35 PM

You can't compare those teams to this one...they were loaded with Pro-Bowlers...this team isn't as good. Thus, I think they should be worked harder then they have been in camp. This is squarely on Jauron's shoulders and he will sink or swim with this philosophy.

acehole
08-27-2006, 12:40 AM
The team to me over all seems winded.

Anyone?

The penalties are worrisome, especially because most of them seem to come in the first half when the starters are on the field.

The defense, once again, looks lost on the first drive of the game...very similar to Gray's defense of two/three years ago. They tighten right up once they get into the flow though.

I thought the offensive line looked very good tonight.

X-Era
08-27-2006, 12:53 AM

I backed off responding earlier, here goes. I think our D took a step back, we gave up WAY too many 3rd down conversions early. The big problem I saw was the coverage was open over the middle for too many plays.

Now, I didnt see much from McGahee to be honest. I wanted more 4 yard plus runs, but was left with too many tackles for losses.

However, I like the "nuts" that JP showed by overcoming the penalties and playing well despite it. He seemed to take control of the team in this game and force plays. Thats a big deal if it translates to the real deal.

Overall, it wasnt anything special but the O looked good, the D took a step back.

Jan Reimers
08-27-2006, 04:15 AM
We're a very young team with a number of rookies, free agents and 2nd-4th year guys playing key roles. We have a new coach and a QB who lacks game experience, thanks to the previous regime. We also have an entirely new defensive system.

I think it may take several regular season games before we're really in sync.

John Doe
08-27-2006, 06:21 AM
We're a very young team with a number of rookies, free agents and 2nd-4th year guys playing key roles. We have a new coach and a QB who lacks game experience, thanks to the previous regime. We also have an entirely new defensive system.

I think that sums it up pretty well.

Historian
08-27-2006, 06:32 AM
The team to me over all seems winded.

Anyone?

Ironically, I was thinking that as I was sitting there. Some guys were actually sucking air.

In all fairness, it was like a sauna out there last night. About as muggy as it could get without actually raining.

YardRat
08-27-2006, 07:03 AM
Buffalo's defense, after the first drive...

5 completions 8 attempts for 17 yards.
2 sacks.
9 rushes for 36 yards.
3 three-and-outs out of four drives.
19 plays, 53 total yards. (39 counting -14 in sacks.)
Zero points.

I would've liked to see a couple of turnovers, though.

patmoran2006
08-27-2006, 11:10 AM

Agreed.. which is why I been saying all along this team will only win 3-4 games this year.. Its NOT that I think they DONT have talent, they do..But its going to take more than just ONE year for it all to come together.

ICE74129
08-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Buffalo's defense, after the first drive...

5 completions 8 attempts for 17 yards.
2 sacks.
9 rushes for 36 yards.
3 three-and-outs out of four drives.
19 plays, 53 total yards. (39 counting -14 in sacks.)
Zero points.

I would've liked to see a couple of turnovers, though.

Thats great. Lets just let every teams offense run down the field and score on their opening drive. Then hope during the game they start playing thier scrubs so we can make our stats look better.

Bottom line, this STARTING Defense against STARTING offenses isn't going to do that well this season unless they start playing drastically better.

Dr. Lecter
08-27-2006, 01:55 PM
The starting defense had ONE bad series. ONE. They gave up 7 points in a half of football against the Browns starters.

The problem with the first series was 3rd down defense.

This is a new system with a number of new players. They are not going to shut every team out.

I swear, some people would ***** if this team went 15-1.

vicsportsaddict
08-27-2006, 02:08 PM
I had the same feeling.It looked like they were sleeping and it was not interesting to see game but my coke was very cool and I decided to see game up tp the end

hammerbillsfan
08-27-2006, 02:16 PM
:welcome: to Billszone vicsportsaddict!

Mr. Cynical
08-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Thats great. Lets just let every teams offense run down the field and score on their opening drive. Then hope during the game they start playing thier scrubs so we can make our stats look better.

Bottom line, this STARTING Defense against STARTING offenses isn't going to do that well this season unless they start playing drastically better.

Good point.

Mr. Cynical
08-27-2006, 03:53 PM

I agree with your points...but....a young team can make mistakes without looking undisciplined/uninspired at the same time.

ICE74129
08-27-2006, 03:59 PM
The starting defense had ONE bad series. ONE. They gave up 7 points in a half of football against the Browns starters.

The problem with the first series was 3rd down defense.

This is a new system with a number of new players. They are not going to shut every team out.

I swear, some people would ***** if this team went 15-1.

Yeah against Cleveland. Then against Carolina, and Cinci and....Well I hope the point is starting to sink in. When this team is getting his butt handed to us because other teams starters play 60 full minutes, I don't want to hear about it