PDA

View Full Version : Lecter's game observations

Dr. Lecter
08-26-2006, 10:56 PM
OK, some things I saw that might not have been as visibile on TV ( I did not see the TV coverage, so I am not sure)

1. JP's pocket awareness is improving dramatically. The TD pass to Price was fantastic. But, better than the pass itself, was JP moving forward and to the left to get the pass off.
2. JP throws as nice as a long ball as any Bills QB I have ever seen. I am not talking about his all around game. But the long pass? His is better than Kelly or Ferguson. And better than/equal to Drew.
3. Spikes' movement looks very good. I singled him out a few plays. He moved laterally. He back-pedalled. He accelerated forward. I was very happy with the way he moved.
4. Nicholas Setta might get a job in the NFL. He kicks well. Good luck to him.
5. Duke Preston might have earned a starting job after Villarrial's game.
6. Anthony Thomas got little PT. Gates came in and did OK. I also did not see Ricard very much. Joe Burns is going to make this team as an utility back and ST player.
7. Jonathan Smith is way down the depth chart. So is Andre Davis. (#6, he wll be cut in favor of Smith or Wilson at #6)
8. Kyle Williams is going to be a very nice surprise. For some people.

~CHIEF~
08-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Great Post!

Coach Sal
08-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Great post. Some comments on your observations.........

1. JP's pocket awareness is improving dramatically. The TD pass to Price was fantastic. But, better than the pass itself, was JP moving forward and to the left to get the pass off.
I saw flashes of this last year. I don't think "pocket awareness" was an area of weakness for him in college, though. I just think he reacted poorly to breakdowns and pressed way too hard last year too many times.

2. JP throws as nice as a long ball as any Bills QB I have ever seen. I am not talking about his all around game. But the long pass? His is better than Kelly or Ferguson. And better than/equal to Drew.

Definitely better than Fergie. Smoother than Kelly. But let's see him match Jimbo's ability to throw the long ball in December! That's a test. Bledsoe? I can't say that yet. Drew still throws a great deep ball. Go catch the highlights of the Cowboys game Saturday night. Wow.

But I am really starting to believe that Lee Evans is going to be a SUPERSTAR in this league if he and JP stay together.

In any event, this offense will be fun to watch this season. Problem is, they'll be frustrating to watch just as often if not more.

3. Spikes' movement looks very good. I singled him out a few plays. He moved laterally. He back-pedalled. He accelerated forward. I was very happy with the way he moved.

Awesome. As I said in the show, this concerns me. Especially the mental aspect. I think making the tackle on the first play from scrimmage helped him tremendously. He got involved right away and probably forgot about the injury immediately.

6. Anthony Thomas got little PT. Gates came in and did OK. I also did not see Ricard very much. Joe Burns is going to make this team as an utility back and ST player.

Ricard's done. He was only there to give Shelton a push in training camp.

Burns always works his butt off and does enough to earn a roster spot.

7. Jonathan Smith is way down the depth chart. So is Andre Davis. (#6, he wll be cut in favor of Smith or Wilson at #6)

So, you say......Evans, Reed, Parrish, Price, Aiken, Smith/Wilson?

8. Kyle Williams is going to be a very nice surprise. For some people.

He's not a surprise to those who follow college football.

The only "surprise" is that it seems he will make not only an immediate contribution, but an immediate impact on this defense.

He's a steal.

~CHIEF~
08-27-2006, 12:24 AM
^ Let's Hope!

Dr. Lecter
08-27-2006, 01:48 AM
Great post. Some comments on your observations.........

I saw flashes of this last year. I don't think "pocket awareness" was an area of weakness for him in college, though. I just think he reacted poorly to breakdowns and pressed way too hard last year too many times.

Pocket awareness might be the wrong term. His reaction to pressure and a play taking time to develop is much improved. He no longer tries to run more quickly than he does look downfield.

Definitely better than Fergie. Smoother than Kelly. But let's see him match Jimbo's ability to throw the long ball in December! That's a test. Bledsoe? I can't say that yet. Drew still throws a great deep ball. Go catch the highlights of the Cowboys game Saturday night. Wow.

I don't disagree about the ability in December. But JP's accuracy when going deep in calm weather like tonight is great.

But I am really starting to believe that Lee Evans is going to be a SUPERSTAR in this league if he and JP stay together.

In any event, this offense will be fun to watch this season. Problem is, they'll be frustrating to watch just as often if not more.

Yes about Evans. And as he improves it will only help Price and Reed.

Ricard's done. He was only there to give Shelton a push in training camp.

Burns always works his butt off and does enough to earn a roster spot.
One thing about Shelton I did forget to mention were his two terrible drops. He can't do that. Especially near the goaline.

So, you say......Evans, Reed, Parrish, Price, Aiken, Smith/Wilson?
The last spot will be a battle. With Davis' salary, he might not be a good fit as a #5 or 6. Wilson or Smith should get the nod there. Nance and Denney did not play (or if they did it was very little) and will be lucky to be on the PS.
Flip a coin, but the return ability might nudge Smith into the spot.

He's not a surprise to those who follow college football.

The only "surprise" is that it seems he will make not only an immediate contribution, but an immediate impact on this defense.

He's a steal.

I told a couple of friends (one of whom sits with me) that Williams might be the first starter out of this draft class.

This draft, with Whitner, McCargo Youboty, Simpson and Williams might be the base for this defense for a very long time.

One other note I want to add is that Losman also looked more compfortable in the 2-minute offense. There was one time that he was confused and took a TO.

Also, props to Kevin Everett for noticeing the play clock being down to one second and taking a time-out. Why the first year TE noticed it and nobody else I am not sure.

Meathead
08-27-2006, 03:42 AM
my observations on his comments on your observations of his comments on your comments of the game:

Pocket awareness might be the wrong term. His reaction to pressure and a play taking time to develop is much improved. He no longer tries to run more quickly than he does look downfield.
sounds like pocket awareness to me

This draft, with Whitner, McCargo Youboty, Simpson and Williams might be the base for this defense for a very long time.
that might be the base of this defense in november

I want to add is that Losman also looked more compfortable in the 2-minute offense.
compared to when. i mean i thought hes looked good in all the two minute drills so far

Historian
08-27-2006, 06:15 AM

Agreed. and that should put all the Price rumors to bed. Lucky thing I wore his jersey yesterday, huh?

His scrambling actually resembles that of Jack Kemp. Always keeps his head up. Powerful arm.

I watched him warm up (pk) and after the half (punting) Is there any way we can protect the guy without wasting a roster spot? In that throwback uniform, he looks like John Leypoldt without the beer gut, lol!

A few other points:

1. Finally saw a solid performance out of Josh Reed.
2. Aiken continues to be a ST demon.
3. Pass blocking has been better through three games than run blocking.
4. McGahee did not impress last night, but in all fairness he's a N-S runner, who's being asked to run E-W and is going nowhere but down.
5. First string D was sliced and diced by Cleveland's first drive.

YardRat
08-27-2006, 06:40 AM
Nice post, Doc...My turn :D -

Agreed - he looks much more comfortable moving within the pocket, and displayed good patience and downfield vision on the Price TD. No more happy-feet, or, tuck the ball and run.

Disagree. Equal to Ferguson, maybe. Better than Kelly and Drew? No way. Bledsoe still throws a prettier ball than JP, and Kelly was far more accurate. When JP starts throwing a tight spiral on the long ball and stops over-throwing the deep receiver >50% of the time, maybe the comparisons can start.

Spikes did look good, and as Coach stated, getting in on the first tackle may have been huge. Didn't really notice how he performed aginst the pass, but he always seemed to be around the ball on running plays.

Setta may get a shot somewhere...he could be the real deal. The press box was jammed with scouts from other teams last night, and I'd assume they've made notes about his performance.

5. Duke Preston might have earned a starting job after Villarrial's game.

We should find out this week. The illegal formation penalty was simply terrible...V lined up where an H-back should be on a power sweep right.

Didn't even really notice Thomas, in all honesty. I thought Gates did better than OK. I'm disappointd in Ricard. Burns got hurt and walked into the tunnel on his own.

The last spot will be a battle. With Davis' salary, he might not be a good fit as a #5 or 6. Wilson or Smith should get the nod there. Nance and Denney did not play (or if they did it was very little) and will be lucky to be on the PS.
Flip a coin, but the return ability might nudge Smith into the spot.

Smith's return ability will get him a spot on the roster, IMO. I've thought the Bill's might keep seven receivers, as they did last year, but apparently Jauron has made the comment that the Bills will keep the best football players, regardless of position, and that 7th receiver spot may get taken by an extra DB.

I told a couple of friends (one of whom sits with me) that Williams might be the first starter out of this draft class.

Whitner's already been written in as the starter at safety...I hope Williams is also by opening day.

Kerr
08-27-2006, 06:45 AM
I'm not sure what will become of andre davis, but in his defense, he's been a pretty good KO returner, even though we already have Mcgee.

Night Train
08-27-2006, 06:55 AM
I completely disagree with Duke Preston. He was moved back to Center a week ago due to the fact he couldn't block his own shadow at Guard. He's shown nothing.

Right now he's the classic " Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane " player.

shelby
08-27-2006, 07:01 AM
My two cents....
JP to Evans is like Kelly to Reed. They have mad chemistry. That being said, it was great to see the TD pass to Peerless. Nice to see JP scramble and avoid the sack to make that play. His long ball is a thing of beauty, when he's accurate.
i thought i had read that Ricard was dinged up.
Setta is talented, and i hope he gets picked up somewhere.
Kyle Williams is more than he's hyped up to be....an amazing kid.
TKO looked fantastic. i saw no hesitation whatsoever after the first series.
Penalties were killer. Discipline needs to become a major focus.

Historian
08-27-2006, 07:11 AM
My two cents....
JP to Evans is like Kelly to Reed. They have mad chemistry.

I'm going to say this right here:

I loved Dubenion. I loved Haven Moses and Marlin Briscoe. I loved Ahmad Rashad, Bob Chandler, Butler, Lewis, Mosely, Byron Franklin, Andre Reed, Lofton, Beebe, you name it, we have had great WRs here in Buffalo through the years.

But in 39 years of following this team, I have never seen softer hands on a wide receiver, than I see on Lee Evans.

It's as if he has magnets in his hands, and the ball has iron in it. Add to that great moves, and blinding speed, and he has the potential to be one of the greatest of all time.

The closest receiver that comes to mind is James Lofton in his prime.

This guy is fun to watch...and is a threat to go all the way from anywhere on the field.

he couldn't block his own shadow at Guard.

That's pretty funny actually.

:)

shelby
08-27-2006, 07:49 AM
http://assets.buffalobills.com/uploads/photo/1F9B3C1620494E4B9E9061F89FEC6137.jpg

Meathead
08-27-2006, 09:04 AM
well i do declare i do believe you are gushing mr billsology

ICE74129
08-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Some notes....

YES JP Has a nicer Deep ball than all mentioned. He has that 'drop it in a bucket' deep ball. Accuracy will come when he has more time/ Faith in the OL Like kelly had in his OL. WHEN That happens, and I am one of the worlds biggest kelly fans, his deep ball will be BETTER Than Kellys. And its better than bledsoes now, period.

Lee Evans. Back during his and JP's draft he was the guy I screamed to get. The words I used were 'The next Marvin Harrison'. It seems that prediction will be coming true :bandwagon. I agree, the kid has the softest hands I have seen in quite some time. I remember some saying they wanted the bigger type WR. That a 5'10" WR couldn't become 'Great'. Well Moss, Smith etal and even Marvin (only an inch or so taller in REALITY) have proven different. Evans will be the next great WR.

Williams. I think Draftboy and I were both doing backflips when this kid was there in the 5th. He was a sure fire 2nd round talent. Is it possible he out performs the guy the Bills moved UP to get in McCargo? So far the answer is YES. I think we found our 'bigger' DT for this defense for the next 10 years.

My Major concern is this, No real pass rush from the first string DL, and too many WR's tearing up our Cover 2. Keyshawn, C Johnson, and even the Cleveland WR's really made us look bad this preseason. It IS reason for concern. To me LDE MUST be address with a supperior talent this next offseason.

The other concern, We still can't run block. What good is having willis if you can't free him? JP's game WILL Suffer if we can't run.

YardRat
08-27-2006, 09:51 AM
No real pass rush from the first string DL

Both sacks in the first half were by the d-line. Schobel got one, I believe Denney and Anderson split the other one.

Dr. Lecter
08-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Disagree. Equal to Ferguson, maybe. Better than Kelly and Drew? No way. Bledsoe still throws a prettier ball than JP, and Kelly was far more accurate. When JP starts throwing a tight spiral on the long ball and stops over-throwing the deep receiver >50% of the time, maybe the comparisons can start.

Didn't even really notice Thomas, in all honesty. I thought Gates did better than OK. I'm disappointd in Ricard. Burns got hurt and walked into the tunnel on his own.

Whitner's already been written in as the starter at safety...I hope Williams is also by opening day.

1. I think he has pretty good accuracy when going deep. I don't agree with your >50%, so I guess that is out difference there.

2. Burns came back and played. Jauron said there were no significant injuries.

3. Due to injury mainly. I think both will start.