• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

A 5-8 Win Team This Year, Needing Another Off-Season To Aquire Talent

That's basically my thinking, while sitting in the stands last night.

The Positives - JP slowly is getting better and has some very good receiving options in Evans, McGahee, Royal and Everett at TE, Parrish etc. McGahee looks fast. The Defense looks faster. Lots of talent at LB, CB, Safety. Coaching has an actual plan and the players are responding.

Negatives - OL still needs a RG and LT to replace Chris V. and Gandy. The depth behind the starters is terrible. JP will have games where he is running for his life.
    Draft or sign at least 3-4 OL next year. DL lacking in the pass rush. Need a pass rushing DE badly. New coaching staff means schemes will take time with many players.

Conclusion - Unrealistic expectations can lead to frustration. Crying after every loss this season is silly, since this team will struggle to reach .500. This coaching staff needs a year to weed out the pretenders and find more players who can help them win
    I do think the Bills are finally moving in the right direction but another off-season is needed to seriously shore up the OL and find 1-2 pass rushers on D.
    I do like the Off. playcalling and the Cover 2 D (except for the zone coverage ). Better days are coming.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: A 5-8 Win Team This Year, Needing Another Off-Season To Aquire Talent

I agree.

Comment

• shelby
      The Vanilla admin
      • Jul 2002

i think we'll go 6-10!
      We need to replace Villarial, stat. He sucks, plain and simple.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

I thought the DE's did a good job of getting to the passer last night. I have no problem with Scobel and Denney.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

I also agree. I think that we'll be an exciting team to watch, with big plays and big mistakes occurring several times a game. But it will be fun to watch some of the young guys develop, and to see the team progress in terms of cutting down on penalties and other stupid mistakes.

I don't care so much about our record this year, as long as we grow and improve.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• shelby
            The Vanilla admin
            • Jul 2002

This was the first time this preseason that Schobel made me take notice. It was good to see him back in his usual form.
            Fletcher is still a beast. i will always claim he is underrated.
            Clements didn't stand out to me last night at all.

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
              I thought the DE's did a good job of getting to the passer last night. I have no problem with Scobel and Denney.
              Agreed. Denny has looked very good.

We were spoiled all those years with Bruce Smith, ya know?

Comment

• don137
                • Jul 2002

Addressing the OL is a painful process to watch. I agree that Villarial must go. I am disappointed in Preston has not really shown much to jump in there. The true only stud player is Peters. Let's hope the Bills use the money they save by letting Clements go at the end of the year to address the OL.
                If the Bills could have another productive draft and and get a couple horses on the OL they could really have a nice foundation.
                I don't think anyone is expecting much other than improvement over last year especially at QB. 7-8 wins would be a good year.

Comment

• Kerr
                  Hall of Fame Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

I didn't get a good look at aaron gibson. How did he look?

Comment

• clumping platelets

7-9 wins and with a couple of breaks maybe challenge for a WC spot......look at our schedule......that is key

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by shelby
                      i think we'll go 6-10!
                      We need to replace Villarial, stat. He sucks, plain and simple.
                      Dead on. He sucked last night!!

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Peters worries me...it seems to me on more than a few occasions last night he had help from a TE...I'm still not convinced he's the real deal.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ICE74129
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
                          That's basically my thinking, while sitting in the stands last night.

The Positives - JP slowly is getting better and has some very good receiving options in Evans, McGahee, Royal and Everett at TE, Parrish etc. McGahee looks fast. The Defense looks faster. Lots of talent at LB, CB, Safety. Coaching has an actual plan and the players are responding.

Negatives - OL still needs a RG and LT to replace Chris V. and Gandy. The depth behind the starters is terrible. JP will have games where he is running for his life.
                          Draft or sign at least 3-4 OL next year. DL lacking in the pass rush. Need a pass rushing DE badly. New coaching staff means schemes will take time with many players.

Conclusion - Unrealistic expectations can lead to frustration. Crying after every loss this season is silly, since this team will struggle to reach .500. This coaching staff needs a year to weed out the pretenders and find more players who can help them win
                          I do think the Bills are finally moving in the right direction but another off-season is needed to seriously shore up the OL and find 1-2 pass rushers on D.
                          I do like the Off. playcalling and the Cover 2 D (except for the zone coverage ). Better days are coming.
                          One correction. JP is QUICKLY getting better. Its the OL that isn't improving that much at all.

Comment

• TigerJ
                            • Jul 2002

So far, I'm sticking with my 7-8 win prediction. I do agree that things are moving in the right direction, but another year is needed to bring the O-line up to snuff. It's conceivable that Gandy's and Villarrial's replacements are on the roster right now but need a year of seasoning. If not, I think an offensive lineman could be the Bills' first pick next season (not Brady Quinn).
                            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                              Maybe?
                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Night Train
                              This coaching staff needs a year to weed out the pretenders
                              My question is who is going to weed out the pretending coaches...

Comment

Working...
                              X