PDA

View Full Version : It's now clear that QB will not be our biggest issue...

MikeInRoch
08-27-2006, 09:35 AM
JP was pretty good tonight, and was generally not the reason the offense struggled. Much more troublesome were the penalties, and the poor defense.

YardRat
08-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Statistically the defense wasn't poor in the first half, especially if you discount the first drive. I wouldn't call 37 yards on 19 plays and zero points, including three 3 and outs out of four, poor.

That being said, the pass defense needs to shore up a little...too many open receivers early in the game...hopefully that will be corrected when we're actually game-planning for the opposition.

The penalties are a problem, even if it's just pre-season...each player needs to become individually more disciplined.

ICE74129
08-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Statistically the defense wasn't poor in the first half, especially if you discount the first drive. I wouldn't call 37 yards on 19 plays and zero points, including three 3 and outs out of four, poor.

That being said, the pass defense needs to shore up a little...too many open receivers early in the game...hopefully that will be corrected when we're actually game-planning for the opposition.

The penalties are a problem, even if it's just pre-season...each player needs to become individually more disciplined.

It is poor. Cinci, Carolina and now Cleveland went down the field and tore our starters appart with little opposition. NONE against Carolina.

Its time for some to realise the Dam does have holes in it and the water is coming though.

If its 'just preseason' this Defense should be looking better. Vanilla v Vanilla, we are getting our butts handed to us. That means 'Man Up' we are getting beat. Thats a talent and coaching issue.

YardRat
08-27-2006, 10:05 AM
Don't get me wrong Ice...I'm not declaring a return to dominance for this defense, and I realize they have some weaknesses that need to be addressed. I don't see it as a major issue, though, depending on how the games flow.

The play so far in pre-season reminds me of Gray's defense from a couple of years ago - the oppositon scores early, then the clamps come down. Whether that continues in the regular season, and for an entire game, remains to be seen.

It also depends on improved production from JP and the rest of the offense. If, like last year, the O suffers a lot of three-and-outs, low point production, and the defense spends too much time on the field, I can see them wearing out in the second half of games just like 2005 and magnifying the trouble-spots.

ICE74129
08-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Its time for Marv and DJ to re look at McNally. And coming from me thats saying something.

Risin
08-27-2006, 12:14 PM
QB won't be an issue, in fact I'm betting it'll be one of our few bright spots this season.

ZacGriffi~82
08-27-2006, 12:30 PM
starting defense gave up 7 points! That's not an issue. They did suck the first drive but then shut them down the rest of the game. Reminds me of a top 5 D i used to know.